Clough v Mclaren (Blame Leeds Ram and Davenportram)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

improvement it appears wasn't fast enough for the fans or the board.

interestingly we have been poorer this season when players Clough signed have been unavailable or when SM introduced his signings. Remind me again how many of our regular starters are SM signings. Christie was, Albentosa is now we have no choice, Ince and Bent.

​I think you have a massive point, and you're not alone in making it. That says more about Nigel's lack of management and/or coaching ability than it does about McClaren and Evans poor signings. 

I will add though, show me a successful manager that doesn't use the players he inherits. Do you take Mourinho's achievements at Chelsea away because John Terry, Frank Lampard and Petr Cech were already there when he arrived? Do you take Guardiola's achievements away from him because the players he inherited at both Barcelona and Bayern Munich were not signed by him? No you don't! 

improvement it appears wasn't fast enough for the fans or the board.

interestingly we have been poorer this season when players Clough signed have been unavailable or when SM introduced his signings. Remind me again how many of our regular starters are SM signings. Christie was, Albentosa is now we have no choice, Ince and Bent.

I will never get that argument, all that says is that Derby were underperforming with the players that Clough had at his disposal.

its like giving the credit to Warnock for Pardews recent run, lambert for sherwood taking villa clear of the bottom 3, or Adams at Norwich for taking them to the brink of automatic promotion.

Can one of the mods change the title of this thread to:-

'In 3 or more paragraphs debate the pros and cons of Nigel Clough'

Fair point, you are right it is a debate that has been done countless times, I apologise and happy for my comments to be deleted from the thread.

I'm liking this rational debate guys. Like I said earlier I wanted Clough to go at the time. But that was impatience by me. Looking back I do think Clough could have got us into the top 6 and think the fixture list at the start of the season was wieghted against. With hindsight looking back we played 5 out of the top 8 from that season in the first 9 games. Forest were on fire at the time having lost only once.

the vast Majority of our wins came against teams 13th and lower.

as I said with hindsight the start of the season was weighted against us looking at the teams final league positions. In fact looking at current table its the same this season. Look at the photos below look at where the greens are in the final two columns.

wp_ss_20150413_0002.png

wp_ss_20150413_0001.png

​Stagnant?  Look at the league positions he achieved - every year improved on the one before.(except for the year of the massive injury list)  14th, 19th, 12th, 10th

Not won at home in his final season true - Lost to the eventual runaway top two.

But you forget that we won 3 out 4 away matches.

12-13 was the first season he'd got rid of the deadwood and had the majority of the 13-14 squad available.

I just think the improvements were not happening fast enough for fans, but with the run of fixtures Mclaren had those results would have come under Clough.

Dont get me wrong I wanted a change, posted as much on here, but I still don't buy that it was inevitable, or even significantly likely, that Clough wouldn't have got us into the top 6.

​You mention injuries as an excuse for Clough... ?  Of course we haven't had any injury problems recently have we..?

Clough's steady. consistent 33% win rate says it all.

We were going the right way under Nigel. Just not fast enough and time ran out for him.  Tbh, I always thought it was the how match v reading that did for him, we were toothless, The oweners were there to see it and we lost 3 nil. They didn't sack him as the forest match was round the Corner, but its history now.

Nigel was sacked when he was achieving the most he ever had.

he was sacked because of that grumpy personality which didn't like sam rush trying to get involved in playing matters, culminating in the piiss taking and the row on the coach.

if the jury is out on anything it should be out on the idea of having a Director of football responsible for buying the players. 

Archived