Clough v Mclaren (Blame Leeds Ram and Davenportram)

Clough built a good squad on more than one occasion (2013/14 squad was obviously great and IMO the 2010 -2011 squad was good and should have never finished 19th), but he simply couldn’t get the best out of it on a consistent basis. Shame really.

McClaren comes along and gets the best out of the squad and showed Clough up to be fair.

Clough is still young and will become a good manager one day if he learns from his mistakes (e.g. stop being so god damn negative). He certainly has an eye for a good player.

But as of right now McClaren is by far the superior manager/coach and I’m glad we have him! 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always wondered whether Clough would have been successful with financial backing. Clough had many pros, he set the foundations for the 4-3-3 we know and love, he got rid of the awful long ball philosophy invented by Billy and carried on by Jewell, he found some real gems amongst the shockers (Martin and bringing Hughes up from the reserves spring to mind) and eventually he made us hard to beat at home.

Unfortunately for him his lack of tactical nous let him down badly. He had plan A, and when that didn't work, all we had was more of plan A. Our away record under Clough was usually dreadful, 4-5 wins a season tops wasn't it? Thank god he had a good home record, otherwise we'd have been relegated. His contacts were dire as well, usually bringin in the League 2 player of the year and throwing him in a team short of confidence. Of course, there was Tom Carroll, who was one of the worst players I've ever seen, and that was about Clough's only "top six" Premier League club loanee (might be wrong there). You wonder whether Sam Rush decided that, based on the calibre of players Clough had brought in, decided that he couldn't trust him with money and decided to get someone in with better contacts. I guess on the whole it has worked, we wouldn't be in the position we are now with Clough. Then again I miss the days when I had no expectations ;)

You'd have to be fairly ignorant to suggest that just one has played a part in our success in the past two seasons. 

When at full strength, the team is still predominantly made up of players brought in, or promoted through the ranks initially, by Clough. 

Whether or not Clough would have got us anywhere last season, the club was falling into apathy. The club needed a lift, it would have been highly difficult for Clough to make that turn around himself simply because I believe he was too afraid to go for it, too afraid to lose. On a personal view, I didn't enjoy his interviews, or how he publicly spoke about his players, I generally found his whole demeanour as increasingly negative.

McClaren proved last season that there was more to get out of the players, that they were capable of more. His problem this season has been not knowing or being able to pick a settled back four. The pros and cons of a large squad. His other problem is the same as Clough in believing that Hendrick and Bryson could play together in central midfield.

Listening or watching Derby under Clough was going through the motions, the odd performance here or that gave belief more was to come, but it never came. Derby this season are guilty of not handling the added expectation, the added pressure. You could see it against Brentford so clearly, it wasn't through lack of effort, it was being victim of having a fragile confidence. That freedom to play is currently gone. And I would say, we as fans must accept some responsibility for that. Players like Bryson and Hendrick have gone from playing under no pressure to a season later playing under huge pressure. Fan reactions make it feel like a relegation battle.

But this thread sums up many Derby fans to me. Let's spend our time looking back, or waiting for it to fail. If this season was under Clough would you be so negative about it? Could Clough have ever had the pull to get Bent in? Or Ince? Ibe? But what about our under 21 side? Our academy status? Would that have happened under Clough? The club has moved forward in every way.

Nigel builds squads that display remarkable team spirit and glimpses of real quality. OK, it takes time, but with tight resources and looking as much for character as ability, it is bound to. His major weakness is his stultifying caution. It turns a potentially brilliant manager into a very average one. It also bores the backside off supporters. I wish someone could get Nigel to a hypnotist and make it that every time he tries to say something like, ‘let’s hold on for the draw’ or ‘time to bring on a defender to see the game out’, it comes out as ‘push forward, we can score a couple more here’ and ‘let’s put another striker on and really go for it’. That way he’d soon reach his potential as a manager and the fans would love him.

​Matching our form this year so far - I know its a different league but hes onlylost 2 in a row twice all season and considering they were in the relegation spots when he took over last season that a pretty big turnaround. Almost as much as SM did here (Oh wait we were in the top half when SM took over so Clough may actuall have had a bigger impact at SU the SM did here)

​He has the biggest budget in the league and biggest squad according to the Blades at work and has spent a lot and wasted a lot. They aren't particularly happy with him, they keep citing negativity, tactical naivety and people losing interest as major failings (sounds familiar). 

However they are split on getting shot of him as they are sick of changing managers, so some are willing to keep him for now, despite not being happy with him.

Archived