End of match to be replayed after referee's mistake

Carl Sagan

It's currently the women's U19 European qualifiers. England ladies were losing 2-1 to Norway the other night when England were awarded a penalty in injury time. Leah Williamson scored the spotkick but the German referee said that one or more players were encroaching in the area. Instead of saying the kick should be retaken, the ref gave an indirect freekick to Norway, play resumed and England lost the game.

UEFA have ordered the game be replayed from the penalty kick onwards, due to the refereeing error.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9796227/england-women-u19-to-replay-final-30-seconds-of-european-qualifier-after-referee-mistake

It's an amazing precedent. Part of me cannot fathom how a referee could get such a standard decision so wrong, yet when I think back to this season and the many terrible decisions I've seen, it doesn't surprise me. Officiating at all levels appears shockingly bad.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about appeals after good goals are ruled out for offside (or awarded even if they clearly went wide), even penalties given/not given in error?.

Presumably the limiting factor is that in this case the rules were not correctly applied, rather than the rules being correctly applied to an incorrect decision by the ref. Could still get interesting though.

It's currently the women's U19 European qualifiers. England ladies were losing 2-1 to Norway the other night when England were awarded a penalty in injury time. Leah Williamson scored the spotkick but the German referee said that one or more players were encroaching in the area. Instead of saying the kick should be retaken, the ref gave an indirect freekick to Norway, play resumed and England lost the game.

UEFA have ordered the game be replayed from the penalty kick onwards, due to the refereeing error.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9796227/england-women-u19-to-replay-final-30-seconds-of-european-qualifier-after-referee-mistake

It's an amazing precedent. Part of me cannot fathom how a referee could get such a standard decision so wrong, yet when I think back to this season and the many terrible decisions I've seen, it doesn't surprise me. Officiating at all levels appears shockingly bad.

Great for England but this just sets a strange precedent.  so when can you appeal for a restart?  if the ref made a mistake?  If a mistake occurred in stoppage time?  Can't see a single game finishing on the day it starts from now on :D

I guess if the ref makes a procedural error, rather than an error of judgement

But then we've seen a few of those - eg foul throws where the ref has made them retake instead of giving the throw the other way. Which would be a nonsense to replay a game over

So then it would be down to procedural errors that deny a goal-scoring opportunity

but what if that happens in the 5th minute, not the 95th minute. Do you replay the whole game?

What if it's already 5-0 to the other team?

In which case the precedent would be procedural errors that deny a goal-scoring opportunity in injury time where the result would make a difference to the outcome of the game?

Stick that in your rule book FIFA!

Great for England but this just sets a strange precedent.  so when can you appeal for a restart?  if the ref made a mistake?  If a mistake occurred in stoppage time?  Can't see a single game finishing on the day it starts from now on :D

​The precedent was actually set in 2005.

Uzbekistan were leading Bahrain 1-0 when they were awarded a penalty. Uzbekistan were then awarded a penalty which was converted, but the referee disallowed it and awarded a free kick to Bahrain. The match finished 1-0.

FIFA ordered the entire match to be replayed (Uzbekistan objected, but eventually suggested that the last 60 minutes be replayed with them having a 1-0 lead and the restart to be with a penalty, but this was turned down by FIFA) - and the second time around, the match finished 1-1 and Bahrain, to the delight of FIFA and their money-oriented organisation, qualified for the next round, edging out Uzbekistan on away goals.

Archived