Was Alberto Bueno Really A Flop?

Mr. P

Bueno was decent, but quickly faded. It wasn't his ability, though. He just wasn't used properly. 

I read that we could have signed him for a little over a million - now he's joined Porto. 

I wouldn't call him a flop, but I wouldn't say he was a roaring success either. I know someone compared him to Mascarell but that's not the case for me. 

Mascarell was ever present, made mistakes, but played a key role in the team that was in the top three for large periods.

Bueno was outstanding on his day but had a lot more off days than on. Bueno is very much the white Dawkins. Techinically superb. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.  Would love him in this side that play the right way, he'd shine

His form tailed off when Nigel couldn't get Kuqi back on loan and abandoned a decent formation.  Messi would have struggled to impress with the ball 2 foot over his head all the time...

Never understand why we didnt keep Kuqi, that 5 or 6 game spell october time was awesome, some of the best football seen. Remember the first 20 mins against portsmouth, was amazing. We got upto 4th, looked like worldbeaters then it all went wrong.

I know Commons went on to do ok, but what happened to Cywka? He looked great now hes just a very average player who struggles to get a game. I always thought Bueno struggled when the cold weather hit....possibly coincidence.

"Aberto Bueno flopped at Derby County but striker now stands on brink of big-money move to Porto and call-up to Spain squad

• Alberto Bueno ha scored 17 goals for Rayo Vallecano this season
  • Striker will lead the line on Wednesday for Rayo against Real Madrid
  • Bueno has been linked with a move to Porto at the end of the season"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3030487/Alberto-Bueno-flopped-Derby-County-striker-stands-brink-big-money-Porto-call-Spain-squad.html#ixzz3WpXyhGOr

Comments? (I though he was a very good player....)

Yes, he did flop. Would he have earned a move to Porto on the back of his season with us!? I know he had a few injuries and some of our team selections were poor that season, but he only scored 5 goals and he struggled to nail down a starting place in a squad which included Ben Davies, Stephen Pearson, Dave Martin and Conor Doyle. And I'm not just picking random names there, those are four players who got games.

Considering how talented he really is, sinking goal after goal in an unspectacular team in what some would call the best league in the world, then he was a pretty big flop by the high standards you expect from a player of that ability. Doesn't matter how stubborn Clough was, if he showed that kind of talent while here, you couldn't not pick him.

Not necessarily questioning his talent or commitment, and we saw in flashes what he could do, but for whatever reason he didn't really settle here and I'd have him down as a flop.

Yes, he did flop. Would he have earned a move to Porto on the back of his season with us!? I know he had a few injuries and some of our team selections were poor that season, but he only scored 5 goals and he struggled to nail down a starting place in a squad which included Ben Davies, Stephen Pearson, Dave Martin and Conor Doyle. And I'm not just picking random names there, those are four players who got games.

Considering how talented he really is, sinking goal after goal in an unspectacular team in what some would call the best league in the world, then he was a pretty big flop by the high standards you expect from a player of that ability. Doesn't matter how stubborn Clough was, if he showed that kind of talent while here, you couldn't not pick him.

Not necessarily questioning his talent or commitment, and we saw in flashes what he could do, but for whatever reason he didn't really settle here and I'd have him down as a flop.

Never understand why we didnt keep Kuqi, that 5 or 6 game spell october time was awesome, some of the best football seen. Remember the first 20 mins against portsmouth, was amazing. We got upto 4th, looked like worldbeaters then it all went wrong.

I know Commons went on to do ok, but what happened to Cywka? He looked great now hes just a very average player who struggles to get a game. I always thought Bueno struggled when the cold weather hit....possibly coincidence.

Fair points, but I don't think he stood up to the physicality of life in the English Championship. In those games where he actually got time on the ball, he was unplayable. He wasn't really that keen on tracking back either

When he got muscled off the park game after game, Clough was never going to stick with him.

Would love to have seen him in this current team

As a footballer making any sort of contribution he disappeared without trace after the first frost. After that he ran around a lot, but just to keep warm.

Was that not the season we were awesome before Christmas and in the top 6 and barely won a game in the second half of the season?

I wouldn't have said flop at all, perhaps more still developing, didn't hit his full potential whist here, not aprticually suited to a Nigel coached mid champ team?

Wonder if Mascarell goes onto become Spain's influential CDM we'll all be reconsidering his contribution?

The moment you look at the daily fail your IQ is reduced to zero and you become a right wing bigot who likes to shout a lot at everything, all of the time and you are never wrong and facts that say so are just lies created by loonie lefties and tree huggers.

Archived