Something that i just could not understand from yesterday

Derbados

Why when we went 2-1 up did we then start knocking it about between the back four and completely take our foot off the gas?? i kept saying last night "this will cost us" i had my head in my hands when we were just playing it across the face of our own goal with Watfords forwards bearing down on us, low and behold . .  we then go and concede. What i struggle to understand is why when at 2-1 up with Watford at 10 men did we not play to our strengths and go for the third, not sit back and wait for the inevitable to happen. Was it a Mcclaren tactic? or a team devoid of confidence trying to hold on for the win? either way, it was bloody frustrating!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they did try to get a third as I remember thinking that getting another goal should finish the game, and they did have a few chances at 2-1.

but I know what you mean, the short kick outs to the wide defenders when they had attackers close to them, like you say, why?

kick the ball long, bent was winning a few knock ons, take the pressure to them.

Sith Happens

I think we panicked. We didnt know if to defend the lead or go for another and was sort of half and half. Its a confidence thing.

Once watford equalized we went for it again.....how we didnt get a 3rd i dont know.

Don't think it was a McClaren tactic as he was on the touch line urging them forward and said we'd lost the pace and momentum after getting the second goal. It is much more about confidence or lack of it, not useful to winning and scared of losing 

Why when we went 2-1 up did we then start knocking it about between the back four and completely take our foot off the gas?? i kept saying last night "this will cost us" i had my head in my hands when we were just playing it across the face of our own goal with Watfords forwards bearing down on us, low and behold . .  we then go and concede. What i struggle to understand is why when at 2-1 up with Watford at 10 men did we not play to our strengths and go for the third, not sit back and wait for the inevitable to happen. Was it a Mcclaren tactic? or a team devoid of confidence trying to hold on for the win? either way, it was bloody frustrating!

I short.

Watford started pressing us because a loss was **** for them. We panicked didn't know what to do and conceded. Sounds all too familiar

if any team presses our defense whoever is playing, and we keep knocking it around with short passes, we concede. Its so predictable. I think some on here predicted a slump and finding ourselves outside the top 6.

and why rush Thorne back who was obviously struggling from almost the kick off. On five minutes I said to Ladyram hrs injured, he's limping and flexing his knee.

Well thing is in the first 5mins of the game we looked for simple ball even in defance but then after that we kepted trying pull fancy dancey stuff off. And messing around at the back of the instead of kicking the ball into row x

was it that we weren't ruthless enough or was it that when Watford decided to up their tempo and press us we couldn't deal with it?

obviously the manager wont say the latter because that puts blame him and not the players because he hasn't dine anything to change that in the season and half he's been here.

I think they did try to get a third as I remember thinking that getting another goal should finish the game, and they did have a few chances at 2-1.

but I know what you mean, the short kick outs to the wide defenders when they had attackers close to them, like you say, why?

kick the ball long, bent was winning a few knock ons, take the pressure to them.

I short.

Watford started pressing us because a loss was **** for them. We panicked didn't know what to do and conceded. Sounds all too familiar

if any team presses our defense whoever is playing, and we keep knocking it around with short passes, we concede. Its so predictable. I think some on here predicted a slump and finding ourselves outside the top 6.

and why rush Thorne back who was obviously struggling from almost the kick off. On five minutes I said to Ladyram hrs injured, he's limping and flexing his knee.

It began after that 3-3 draw at St Andrews last season. 

Too much talk about tightening up and clean sheets. 

That would be fine if Mac hadn't created one of the fastest passing attacking sides in England. But he did. 

This season we have neglected that at times in pursuit of being perfect. Of keeping clean sheets and seeing games out. You're right. It's not our strength

Our strength is attacking quickly and scoring goals. Thats what Bournemouth do now. They are us from last season. 

Slow build up is fine when the pressure is off. Mac began wanting us to do it to draw teams that park the bus in. But it became a habit that we do even when pressed.  It takes too long to cross the halfway line. 

We are still one of the best attacking teams when we eventually go forward. 

Last season it was suicide to press Derby. We were so fast on the counter. 

That 3-3 draw and the reaction to it has a lot to answer for. We don't need to be perfect at both ends. 

​Interesting post Alpha ,when Mac was here last under Jim Smith we played fantastic attacking football .We suffered two heavy defeats Leicester and Leeds if my memory serves me correctly .

Not sure if it was Jim or Mac that decided to change the style /system to tighten things up but with a few player changes it was downhill from there on in.Again from memory Chris Powell was sold ,big mistake.

Archived