Something that i just could not understand from yesterday

Derbados

We struggle with teams that play high up the field and press us.

Its like teams know how to play against us now and our inability to defend costs us dearly.

Yes, I think when going forward we look unbeatable but unfortunately as we are unable to convert all those chances we make, as soon as the opposition pressses us we implode with school boy errors, nothing new here its being going on for months.

A lot of players not playing to their ability or maybe lack of......

Cock up at both ends.......not taking the chances and unable to defend.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why when we went 2-1 up did we then start knocking it about between the back four and completely take our foot off the gas?? i kept saying last night "this will cost us" i had my head in my hands when we were just playing it across the face of our own goal with Watfords forwards bearing down on us, low and behold . .  we then go and concede. What i struggle to understand is why when at 2-1 up with Watford at 10 men did we not play to our strengths and go for the third, not sit back and wait for the inevitable to happen. Was it a Mcclaren tactic? or a team devoid of confidence trying to hold on for the win? either way, it was bloody frustrating!

Some of the worst fannying about was just before they equalised.

sometimes we work the ball to the full back or the wide midfielder and they lack the courage to go forward and simply it pass it backwards. We know that this back four cannot cope with too much possession and the opposition also now know that if they press us, we will go to pieces under pressure.

its partly about confidence but its also a risky tactic.

i don't remember derby teams of the past fannying about like this.

i'm sure we used to play triangles much higher up the pitch, but maybe i dreamt it.

I thought we became casual in attack. I just got the feeling there was a state of mind that said, 'it's ok if we miss. We're 2-1 ahead'. That rubs off on the opposition, who start to think we don't care about scoring, then that we can't score. They grow in confidence, we panic, and boom, we make a pig's ear of it.

It's a regular pattern for us. The manager and players don't seem to be able to do anything to stop it. 

If you go back and watch their goal Forsyth did precisely what you said to do. he kicked it long to Bent but Bent actually failed to win the header. it came to their striker he passed it to guediora who then played an unbelievable pass into the path of igahlo. Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't messing around with it at the back actually cost us the second goal. That goal came from a long ball which actually invited pressure straight onto us. 

It began after that 3-3 draw at St Andrews last season. 

Too much talk about tightening up and clean sheets. 

That would be fine if Mac hadn't created one of the fastest passing attacking sides in England. But he did. 

This season we have neglected that at times in pursuit of being perfect. Of keeping clean sheets and seeing games out. You're right. It's not our strength

Our strength is attacking quickly and scoring goals. Thats what Bournemouth do now. They are us from last season. 

Slow build up is fine when the pressure is off. Mac began wanting us to do it to draw teams that park the bus in. But it became a habit that we do even when pressed.  It takes too long to cross the halfway line. 

We are still one of the best attacking teams when we eventually go forward. 

Last season it was suicide to press Derby. We were so fast on the counter. 

That 3-3 draw and the reaction to it has a lot to answer for. We don't need to be perfect at both ends. 

That is true but even if he had hit it long 30 seconds earlier before the passing around spell there is no reason to suggest Bent wouldn't have done the exact same thing again and missed his header leading to it coming straight back at us.

No matter what happened before that long ball by Forsyth it was still a long ball, which is what Boycie said he wanted Forsyth to do to relieve pressure. 

Im saying if we messed around with it at the back or hit it long straight away Bent's inability to win a header or hold it up like Martin meant a long ball would come straight back at us leaving the defence out of shape and prone to goals exactly like the one we conceded. 

The defence really don't inspire confidence when they pass the ball backwards and forwards between ourselves, but then midfield really don't help giving them options to pass to. How many times did the defence try to pass out last night only for the midfielder who received the ball to pass the ball straight back to them?! 

Found it frustrating that Hendrick, who actually seemed willing to take the ball and run at the opposition, got shifted out to RB (surely Shotton or even Warnock would have made more sense playing there?!) 

dont see how we're going to get any confidence back any time soon to salvage this season.

The defence really don't inspire confidence when they pass the ball backwards and forwards between ourselves, but then midfield really don't help giving them options to pass to. How many times did the defence try to pass out last night only for the midfielder who received the ball to pass the ball straight back to them?! 

Found it frustrating that Hendrick, who actually seemed willing to take the ball and run at the opposition, got shifted out to RB (surely Shotton or even Warnock would have made more sense playing there?!) 

dont see how we're going to get any confidence back any time soon to salvage this season.

i was watching  / listening to the Sky Sorts news in the pub before i went to the game on Friday and both Middlesboro and Norwich were being battered for most of the game after they had scored their one goal. 

What i'm trying to say is that at this time in the season  teams that want to go up once in a winning positition are protecting their 3 points. Where as Derby don't seem to have that strategy in their game plan. 

Why do we keep playing Forsyth and Christie? 

Christie an attacking wing back appears out of his depth on the attacking front, Forsyth is also struggling when attacking. So dont.

In my view the back 4  Friday should have been Shotton Warnock / Keogh and Albentosa. and no holding MF. 4 3 3

The defense has lost us promotion this season. Whether you blame the manager or the players or disagree entirely is up to you.

But in my view we have lost too many points through poor defending and not being clever enough to hold on to a lead. Which is disapointing considering the calibre of the coaching staff.

i was watching  / listening to the Sky Sorts news in the pub before i went to the game on Friday and both Middlesboro and Norwich were being battered for most of the game after they had scored their one goal. 

What i'm trying to say is that at this time in the season  teams that want to go up once in a winning positition are protecting their 3 points. Where as Derby don't seem to have that strategy in their game plan. 

Why do we keep playing Forsyth and Christie? 

Christie an attacking wing back appears out of his depth on the attacking front, Forsyth is also struggling when attacking. So dont.

In my view the back 4  Friday should have been Shotton Warnock / Keogh and Albentosa. and no holding MF. 4 3 3

The defense has lost us promotion this season. Whether you blame the manager or the players or disagree entirely is up to you.

But in my view we have lost too many points through poor defending and not being clever enough to hold on to a lead. Which is disapointing considering the calibre of the coaching staff.

There are a few players who always seem to go into negative mode once we go in front, as if they are automatically programmed to turn back towards their own goal and away from the oppositions even if theres no one near them, incredibly frustrating and unnecessarily putting yourself under pressure as the other team are bound to move up the pitch accordingly.

Hendrick is definitely one, Forsyth is another and also Christie to name but three (admittedly Christie wasn't on the pitch yesterday) but the other two went into their usual default mode. Shotton also to some extent.

If you go back and watch their goal Forsyth did precisely what you said to do. he kicked it long to Bent but Bent actually failed to win the header. it came to their striker he passed it to guediora who then played an unbelievable pass into the path of igahlo. Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't messing around with it at the back actually cost us the second goal. That goal came from a long ball which actually invited pressure straight onto us. 

Archived