Is there a historical Derby-Middlesbrough rivalry

voyager1

Looking at all the events on Tuesday and following social media, it appears Middlesbrough fans get quite excited about Derby - probably more so than the other promotion contenders. Earlier in the year, I saw comments from Middlesbrough fans after the Forest game and this week, I've seen comments on social media from Middlesbrough fans hoping Forest can replace Derby in the top 6.

Is there any history between Derby and Middlesbrough?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical derby , just because we taken 6 lovely and very easy points from you, you stick ginger mac in your lovely coloured championship stadium for next season, even the mackems will enjoy playing you haha

Whenever I think of Middlesbrough, I just think 'urgh' 

I don't know why. I would not at all mind not playing them ever again, though. If they were a stable Premier League club then I'd happily just chill in the second division. Easy life. 

They're a **** Sunderland. 

Whenever I think of Middlesbrough, I just think 'urgh' 

I don't know why. I would not at all mind not playing them ever again, though. If they were a stable Premier League club then I'd happily just chill in the second division. Easy life. 

They're a **** Sunderland. 

5th April1975  Boro lead Derby 1-0. Late in the game Stuart Boam attempts square pass across edge of penalty area sticks in mud is intercepted and Derby equalise. Ayresome Park was a far better pitch than The Baseball Ground but at the end of March far from perfect. Derby win next two and led by the great Dave MacKay go onto win First Division Championship. Boro who would have gone above Rams had they won that match lose the next two. Boro finish 7th

Story goes that  Jack Charlton sets about Boam in dressing room for square pass which given Boam's size and reputation is some feat even for Big Jack in his pomp. Best top flight competition ever, only eight points cover top ten sides bit like championship at moment.

The real answer is no not really. 

I can't have it that boro are a **** Sunderland, sorry. You don't have to think too hard to remember some great players for boro, Juninho, Ravanelli, Viduka etc. Been racking my brains and can't think of a single standout Sunderland player of recent times, only good thing about them is their support.

I can't have it that boro are a **** Sunderland, sorry. You don't have to think too hard to remember some great players for boro, Juninho, Ravanelli, Viduka etc. Been racking my brains and can't think of a single standout Sunderland player of recent times, only good thing about them is their support.

Archived