Jordan Rhodes

Cardifframs

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old adage 'if it seems too good to be true, it probably is!' rings true here for me.

If this signing happens, I think it says more about what is going on at boardroom level than anything else and for me, it'd be an indication of our ambition and how eager we are not to let another opportunity slip away. In some ways, how assertive we have been in the transfer market makes me wonder will we have anything left in the tank if we are still in the Championship in August.

It would have been unthinkable even six months ago that we would be able to take such an approach. We paid in the region of £2 million for George Thorne and rewarded several first-team regulars with new deals. Since then we have added three loan signings from the Premier League in Ince, Bent and Lingard who will have increased the wage bill and our expenditure only further.

Now we're going to take Jordan Rhodes on loan?

From a footballing standpoint, it makes a lot of sense. In what is their biggest game of the season, an FA Cup quarter-final against Liverpool, he has been left on the bench. So it's not unreasonable to suggest he is out of favour. Now if Liverpool win today, that leaves Blackburn 14 points off the play-offs, 11 games to play and effectively with nothing but pride left to play for. Whereas for us, it's the business end of the season, a critical period in our season, we are missing both Martin and Bent and we need a goalscorer. Rhodes could quite easily step into the breach. So it's not unreasonable to suggest he could come here and have a part to play, especially if both players are going to be out longer than expected.

But from a financial standpoint, it just seems well and truly inconceivable that we could sustain a wage bill with Rhodes, Bent, Ince, Lingard in addition to our highest earners without it being an astronomical financial gamble on our part.

It would be a fantastic signing and a much-needed boost but I would be very surprised if it materialised.

The old adage 'if it seems too good to be true, it probably is!' rings true here for me.

If this signing happens, I think it says more about what is going on at boardroom level than anything else and for me, it'd be an indication of our ambition and how eager we are not to let another opportunity slip away. In some ways, how assertive we have been in the transfer market makes me wonder will we have anything left in the tank if we are still in the Championship in August.

It would have been unthinkable even six months ago that we would be able to take such an approach. We paid in the region of £2 million for George Thorne and rewarded several first-team regulars with new deals. Since then we have added three loan signings from the Premier League in Ince, Bent and Lingard who will have increased the wage bill and our expenditure only further.

Now we're going to take Jordan Rhodes on loan?

From a footballing standpoint, it makes a lot of sense. In what is their biggest game of the season, an FA Cup quarter-final against Liverpool, he has been left on the bench. So it's not unreasonable to suggest he is out of favour. Now if Liverpool win today, that leaves Blackburn 14 points off the play-offs, 11 games to play and effectively with nothing but pride left to play for. Whereas for us, it's the business end of the season, a critical period in our season, we are missing both Martin and Bent and we need a goalscorer. Rhodes could quite easily step into the breach. So it's not unreasonable to suggest he could come here and have a part to play, especially if both players are going to be out longer than expected.

But from a financial standpoint, it just seems well and truly inconceivable that we could sustain a wage bill with Rhodes, Bent, Ince, Lingard in addition to our highest earners without it being an astronomical financial gamble on our part.

It would be a fantastic signing and a much-needed boost but I would be very surprised if it materialised.

Archived