Derby County v Birmingham City

-JW-

Because I'm a fan, and know that we won't win every game, but given we are the 2nd best team in the league over a season why can't they beat Norwich ?

cant remember which poster said this but there's always one isn't there who can't take the rose tinted glasses off. Get real. How many reasons why we won't beat the mustard munchers do you want?

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard SM's interview on the way home, and he said he was angry. Well him and me both. It's a while since I have been this angry. The only time other than today that I have hurled my programme in the bin on the way out was when we conceded a last minute goal after being ahead - and it was scored by John Aldridge. That dates it. Not Forest this season, not Wembley last year, or in 1994. Today, for some reason, I'm seething.

It's irrational really. Obviously I am angry with the ref. That was a truly awful performance. Not so much with the players though. The front five all looked sharp. Mascarell was tougher than in recent games and passed well at times. Forsyth had a great game. I liked the look of Albentosa too - he's as nervous as hell, but he'll come good with a run of games. 

So who else incurs the wrath?

I'm not a Keogh hater, or apologist either. However, the rant at the West lower today was a disgrace. He should be disciplined for that.

Steve must surely regret his substitutions. Ball retention was always going to be an issue today, so Hughes, although he'd had a kicking, surely had to stay the course. Russell worked his socks off in the Martin role - it's not his natural game but once he had gone off we had no outlet up front to keep hold of it.

Most irrationally of all, I am cross about George Thorne's infamous "I'm not injured LOL" tweet after the Charlton game. He clearly was, and at the time he was subbed I thought it could cost us promotion. Later that evening all seemed well, so it was a body blow to hear that he wasn't in the squad for Fulham. We haven't won a game since.

Normally I am the blindest of blind faithers. Not tonight.

I'm not going to let the last five minutes affect my judgement on what I saw. I've never been so disillusioned by a referee performance, but lets not pretend he isn't human. As soon as he get the reception he did in the first-half, he had it in for us and he'll leave that stadium a happy, happy man over the result. 

The defence was excellent. I don't know how often teams are restricted to just one shot on target in this division, but we showed absolute class at keeping them out. The set-pieces Birmingham scored upon have nothing to do with the defence. 

Anyway, the player ratings.

Grant - 5 - Not really had anything to do, but he's flapped at the ball a few times. Not his best game.

Christie - 8 - He kept the ball well, defended very well, and did everything asked of him. 
Keogh - 7 - Solid. I thought this distribution was questionable, but defensively he was good.
Albentosa - 7 - Same as Keogh, really.
Forsyth - 7 - Distribution a problem, as always, but defensively he was very good. I haven't seen the second goal again, but when you're 10 on 10 in the box then anything is possible. 

Mascarell - 8 MOTM - defended very well, passed the ball very well and protected his back four... very well. 

Hughes - 6 - I think he gave the ball away too much, but put his foot in defensively. He was a target for the referee so was called up too many times. 
Hendrick - 7 - He showed class on the ball, similar to his performance against Brighton. Just needs to show a bit more, for me. 

Ince - 8 - I'm not going to blame him for the penalty. It was a perfectly good tackle. He scored a great goal and offered a threat. 

Ward - 8 - One if his better performances this season. never stopped. deserved goal.

Russell - 6 - I don't think he could do much as, like Hughes, he was a target for the referee. He did okay, though, in all areas. 

Dawkins, Lingard, Bryson - 6 - all looked tidy when they came on. Dawkins possibly the pick out of the three.

Overall:

It was a very good performance, defensively very good, but you can't account for a referee giving the opposition such a helping hand. I'm annoyed by the result. but pleased by the performance and the application of everyone on the pitch. 

Because I'm a fan, and know that we won't win every game, but given we are the 2nd best team in the league over a season why can't they beat Norwich ?

cant remember which poster said this but there's always one isn't there who can't take the rose tinted glasses off. Get real. How many reasons why we won't beat the mustard munchers do you want?

We've not thrown away our chance of autos yet as some seem to be saying (loads of games remaining and we're level on points), but we have thrown away a considerable advantage we had. I think 7-9 points out of last 3 going into some very tough games would have set us up with a great chance. Really disappointed with the amount of goals we are shipping too, no sign of it stopping and some good teams to play.

Not read the previous posts on tis thread, but just wanted to say;

Thought Hughes was head and shoulders above the rest.

the kicking he gets, and yet still his poise, passing and momentum is amazing. 

The game was a freak, as Steve. said in the RD interview, no one will remember the performance just the result, which is something to work on.

i can't get angry, although I was at full time. 

I just think, that without our key players our defence come up short. 

We're brillaint with a Eustace or a Thorne in front of the back four and a Martin holding up, up front, but without that, we're just a lot of huff and puff.

v good huff and puff.

but huff and puff nonetheless 

OK so after that and now the alcohol has calmed me down. I look upon the table to see we are second and have gained a point on top spot. We have struggled against poor sides a lot this season but seem to turn up when it counts boro aside, so chins up my fellow rams it's about to get tense and squeaky but fear not we shall come back in style starting with Norwich where we shall get back to winning ways.

I'm not a Keogh hater, or apologist either. However, the rant at the West lower today was a disgrace. He should be disciplined for that.

I heard SM's interview on the way home, and he said he was angry. Well him and me both. It's a while since I have been this angry. The only time other than today that I have hurled my programme in the bin on the way out was when we conceded a last minute goal after being ahead - and it was scored by John Aldridge. That dates it. Not Forest this season, not Wembley last year, or in 1994. Today, for some reason, I'm seething.

It's irrational really. Obviously I am angry with the ref. That was a truly awful performance. Not so much with the players though. The front five all looked sharp. Mascarell was tougher than in recent games and passed well at times. Forsyth had a great game. I liked the look of Albentosa too - he's as nervous as hell, but he'll come good with a run of games. 

So who else incurs the wrath?

Steve must surely regret his substitutions. Ball retention was always going to be an issue today, so Hughes, although he'd had a kicking, surely had to stay the course. Russell worked his socks off in the Martin role - it's not his natural game but once he had gone off we had no outlet up front to keep hold of it.

Most irrationally of all, I am cross about George Thorne's infamous "I'm not injured LOL" tweet after the Charlton game. He clearly was, and at the time he was subbed I thought it could cost us promotion. Later that evening all seemed well, so it was a body blow to hear that he wasn't in the squad for Fulham. We haven't won a game since.

Normally I am the blindest of blind faithers. Not tonight.

Not at all. 

Wasn't it reported on here that Derby fans had abused his wife on twitter last week.

to fans like me this absolutely beggars belief. Its embarrassing.

i'm ashamed of the constant attacks on our own players, both on here, and at the match.

the fact that he snapped says it all.

not about him, but about us.

I thought we played well. 

Johnny russell lead the line really well.

lets focus on that.

we'll not meet another ref like that again.

Excellent for 80 minutes.

Unprofessional for the last 16.

Hendrick was, imo, fantastic today and man of the match by some distance. With and without the ball, he ran the game for us.

So much to take from the first 80, but we lacked a leader out there, someone to cajole and organise, to encourage to push the defence out, to help when after a difficult week we found ourselves under pressure. It doesn't have to be the captain - Eustace does that job brilliantly.

The ref was appalling but we were the masters of our own downfall. Again. 

I am curious as to why after they score and time is essentially up already - or we have 1 min to kill, how we lost the ball? Who gave the ball away? Surely from ko after the pen, we pass it around, pass it to grant out to one of the centre halves and do the thing we do to keep the ball. 

Archived