Derby County v Birmingham City

-JW-

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Felt it was a decent workmanlike performance until injury time, ultimately it is a very poor result though failing to beat what was a very limited Birmingham side who offered little threat. Shouldn't really be giving a penalty away at that stage to give them a lifeline and then its the usual panic stations where we come unstuck.

Grant 6 - seems to be flapping at crosses lately

Christie 7 - better game than of late

Forsyth 7 - got forward well but some stray passes as ever

Keogh 6 - tried hard though had the odd hairy moment

Albentosa 6 - steady without being spectacular

Mascarelll 6 - tried to put himself about but doesn't convince in the role for me

Hendrick 6 - reasonable game but tends to go a bit negative near end

Hughes 7 - at the hub of most things though not all came off today

Russell 7 - whole hearted display up front

Ward 8 - his best game for a good while, lively

Ince 7 - lively performance tho gave ball away prior to penalty

Subs

Bryson 6 - harsh for some to blame him, needs a run of games at some stage

Lingard 6 - soon ended up down the middle which probably isn't his best role

Dawkins 6 - not enough time to do much

Anyone see Keogh screaming at the West stand?

Early in the first half he was in front of me, in the usual position he takes up when Grant is about to take a goal kick and Keogh made a mistake, iirc it was poor first touch and then didnt do anything with the ball.

A few groans went out from behind me and Keogh, instead of getting back into position and concentrating on his game took a minute out to stand and scream and shout at the West stand. It was a casual f-off, it was full blown screaming with his face getting redder and redder.

Thought it was poor form from the captain.   

It's reminscent of that run last season where we struggled (Burnley, Bolton, Millwall, Reading). 

After that, we decided to just go for it again - and we started to blast teams out of the water.

I honestly think we've been unlucky this season in regards to late goals, but at the same time if you're playing conservatively then it will happen.

We were guilty of being too attacking during that 3-3 draw at Brimingham last year, I don't think you can say the same about our style today.

That's the most livid I've been at the match for a while. Furious with the ref, furious with the team, furious at myself for being able to see the equaliser coming a mile off.

On the positive side I thought Forsyth, Hendrick and Ward had very good games, particularly Fozzy.

However, I'm expecting Norwich to absolutely trash us next week given recent form.

I'm not going to let the last five minutes affect my judgement on what I saw. I've never been so disillusioned by a referee performance, but lets not pretend he isn't human. As soon as he get the reception he did in the first-half, he had it in for us and he'll leave that stadium a happy, happy man over the result. 

The defence was excellent. I don't know how often teams are restricted to just one shot on target in this division, but we showed absolute class at keeping them out. The set-pieces Birmingham scored upon have nothing to do with the defence. 

Anyway, the player ratings.

Grant - 5 - Not really had anything to do, but he's flapped at the ball a few times. Not his best game.

Christie - 8 - He kept the ball well, defended very well, and did everything asked of him. 
Keogh - 7 - Solid. I thought this distribution was questionable, but defensively he was good.
Albentosa - 7 - Same as Keogh, really.
Forsyth - 7 - Distribution a problem, as always, but defensively he was very good. I haven't seen the second goal again, but when you're 10 on 10 in the box then anything is possible. 

Mascarell - 8 MOTM - defended very well, passed the ball very well and protected his back four... very well. 

Hughes - 6 - I think he gave the ball away too much, but put his foot in defensively. He was a target for the referee so was called up too many times. 
Hendrick - 7 - He showed class on the ball, similar to his performance against Brighton. Just needs to show a bit more, for me. 

Ince - 8 - I'm not going to blame him for the penalty. It was a perfectly good tackle. He scored a great goal and offered a threat. 

Ward - 8 - One if his better performances this season. never stopped. deserved goal.

Russell - 6 - I don't think he could do much as, like Hughes, he was a target for the referee. He did okay, though, in all areas. 

Dawkins, Lingard, Bryson - 6 - all looked tidy when they came on. Dawkins possibly the pick out of the three.

Overall:

It was a very good performance, defensively very good, but you can't account for a referee giving the opposition such a helping hand. I'm annoyed by the result. but pleased by the performance and the application of everyone on the pitch. 

That's the most livid I've been at the match for a while. Furious with the ref, furious with the team, furious at myself for being able to see the equaliser coming a mile off.

On the positive side I thought Forsyth, Hendrick and Ward had very good games, particularly Fozzy.

However, I'm expecting Norwich to absolutely trash us next week given recent form.

I'm a bit surprised to see a lot of people thinking we sat back; I don't think we did particularly. It's not like it was all hands to the pump defending. We had plenty of chances after 2-0 to increase the scoreline. We just did our usual thing of losing our nerve when it came to defending.

When I looked at our fixture list a month ago , I put a win by the side of  the last 5 games , and excepted we would only get 1 point from Norwich & M,boro. Now we have to win both just to stay in the race, but this can be done , remember Ipswich away . Our confidence is near breaking , I am still so angry after the forest game at home . Still lots on here will say  Just A Game

Final post from me today, poor performance from the police after the game. There was an almighty altercation outside the merlin between hundreds of brummies and Derby fans (no exaggeration). The police were nowhere to be seen for about 2 minutes. Some very ugly scenes that i've not witnessed for a long long time.

Archived