Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Massive do or die for AJ. That would be instantly back to the world scene or 3 defeats in a row. Firmly planted as "best of the rest" 

Knowing Fury though it's much more likely a message to Usyk saying look, I can fight AJ and make a fortune. He said "I'll select another opponent if you're not ready". He said he's looking to fight in the next couple of months. 

It seemed very much a 'i don't need you' dig at Usyk. Designed to make Usyk chase him, give a better offer etc.

I imagine the offer he will put to AJ if AJ is actually interested will be to fight exclusive to BT, with a 70 or 80% split. Something he can't accept. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I imagine the offer he will put to AJ if AJ is actually interested will be to fight exclusive to BT, with a 70 or 80% split. Something he can't accept. 

Yep it will be a rubbish offer like 90/10 split etc etc. 

Then when AJ rightly tells him to **** off, Fury can turn around and say "AJ ducked" and his fanboys will lap it up.

AJ will probably take the fight if the offer is right, he's got nothing to lose. But I really can't see the offer being good. Fury will end up fighting Chisora again or something.

Unless it's a massive payday for Fury then there's nothing in an AJ fight for him. There's no way he offers a fair split and an opportunity for a top 4 heavyweight out the goodness of his heart. 

It's a tough fight for a voluntary defence against a guy who realistically is going to want a 50/50 or 40/60. 

Imo AJ goes off and gets his rep back up. Builds towards Wilder and Fury. Then can maybe force a mandatory Vs Usyk if Usyk is still around. If not then he can collect belts again. If he fails then he still has one or two huge paydays. If he succeeds then he comes in more experienced and completely written off in a third Usyk fight when Usyk is nearing 40. 

Hearn said he wants to make AJ v Whyte. Now that's a terrible idea. The loser is left as an undercard fighter. The winner is no better off just slightly richer. That's a retirement fight. Whyte should target Ruiz. AJ should probably look at Wallin. 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

@86 Hair IslandsWhat do you make of Benn v Eubank Jnr?

You like Benn don't you? I'm not sure this exhibition match is a good idea. He can actually force his way up the division instead of fighting a much bigger, very athletic and resilient middle/super middleweight.

I kinda like them both as fighters tbh, but I'm amazed this match up up is being made now. I don't like this fight for Benn at all. This game's dangerous enough without taking absurd risks, especially at the early stages of a promising career.

29 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I kinda like them both as fighters tbh, but I'm amazed this match up up is being made now. I don't like this fight for Benn at all. This game's dangerous enough without taking absurd risks, especially at the early stages of a promising career.

Just a money fight isn't it. Doesn't do anything for either if they win. Benn can gain the exact same credit within his stacked division. Jnr gains nothing but risks humiliation. 

But I don't see how Benn wins. Both going to walk away with a payday and be in exact same position within their divisions. But Benn will have to take an L. 

Cash grab mismatch?

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Just a money fight isn't it. Doesn't do anything for either if they win. Benn can gain the exact same credit within his stacked division. Jnr gains nothing but risks humiliation. 

But I don't see how Benn wins. Both going to walk away with a payday and be in exact same position within their divisions. But Benn will have to take an L. 

Cash grab mismatch?

I think it's obviously going to be a fight that garners attention so the money element can't be overlooked, I'd agree. I think though if Benn were to win, then it'd be huge. The issue is that I don't think he can win.

I agree that for Jnr, there really is no upside. If he beats up Benn then the big guy beat the little guy, so what, but in the unlikely event that he doesn't, he's pretty much finished. He's 32 after all.

48 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Ruiz beat Ortiz by unanimous decision on Sunday night. 114-111, 114-111 and 113-112. Quite an entertaining fight.

Oh man! I thought it was later in September!! 

Thanks I'm going to watch it tonight. Man, I watched rubbish fights at the weekend too when I could have watched that

Ta mate

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

It still makes an absolute shed loads of money, and likely more than Usyk. Joshua is a much bigger name world wide than Uysk is.

As a fight fan whose old, I'd always think a unification fight would be a bigger draw worldwide than fighting the guy who's lost twice to one of them.  Never considered Joshua a huge draw in the States.  They tend to have a fixed mind set and seeing a guy who beat Wilder twice -three times really- against the guy who lost to Ruiz, won't inspire there pay per view figures. 

12 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

As a fight fan whose old, I'd always think a unification fight would be a bigger draw worldwide than fighting the guy who's lost twice to one of them.  Never considered Joshua a huge draw in the States.  They tend to have a fixed mind set and seeing a guy who beat Wilder twice -three times really- against the guy who lost to Ruiz, won't inspire there pay per view figures. 

Usyk is unknown to casual fans. Fury and Joshua are big names and people have been asking for this fight for years. I'm fairly certain it outsells Fury vs Usyk. Usyk isn't that big of a PPV draw. 

Enjoyed Ruiz Vs Ortiz. Ruiz is really entertaining. 

Ortiz has been knocked around by Martin and Ruiz now. Starting to undermine Wilders one impressive win. 

Jake Paul gets on my nerves. Box a boxer, fight someone your own age, someone active, somebody who can't be paid off or just shut up. 

Fight Bellew or somebody who has no interest in being a hit with the YouTube masses. Irritating t***

2 hours ago, David said:

A decent retired 47 year old striker. 

He beat Chavez Jr a year ago. Not many fighters with as few fights as Jake Paul would take a fight like that. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Fight Bellew or somebody who has no interest in being a hit with the YouTube masses. Irritating t**

In his defense, Tommy Fury dropped out twice and Rahman Jr didn't make weight. Those are decent fights for him. And so is Silva. 

AJ has accepted the Fury fight. Talk about a career ending / reigniting fight - and I give him the props for taking it. Lose this and he's back to fighting Del Boy and Parker, legacy in the bin by the door. Win and he's back in the frame, calling the shots and among the big fights. It's a massive, massive decision for him to take but ponder it for a bit and I'm not sure he had that much of a choice. Say no and he's out in the shadows with no path to any belt and sat watching till Usyk relinquishes one or Fury comes good on his promise to retire. The only thing that is for sure is that he has to win - at the very, very least get a disputed split decision.

Edited by BaaLocks

AJ just shows what boxing can do to you - after the Klitschko fight we thought he was going to rule for years. It looked like nobody would be able to lay a glove on him. Then a sketchy performance against Takam (up to a rather challenged stoppage) and a poor night's work against Parker means that the Povetkin win was he only really strong night past that. Then, five fights and four years later and his only wins since Povetkin are against a very flabby Ruiz and a strong, yet eminently beatable Pulev. In that time three defeats and a complete loss of the aura around him. Wilder is much the same, he was 40-0 going into the Fury fight and has still only lost to the lineal champion but he's also not only lost his aura but also his belts.

It is so much about timing, and what is around you at the time. If he'd been around five or six years before Joshua could have racked up a pretty solid record but now he's always going to be considered at the guy who just came up short at the very highest level.

4 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Then a sketchy performance against Takam (up to a rather challenged stoppage)

Harsh to be critical of that performance, he suffered from a broken nose early on because of a headbutt from Takam.

4 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

poor night's work against Parker

Up until this fight, he hadn't been in a 12 round fight. He said he wanted to go the distance and he did. Referee in this fight didn't let the fight flow and kept pulling them apart every time they got close.

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

his only wins since Povetkin are against a very flabby Ruiz and a strong, yet eminently beatable Pulev

But who has there been to fight? Don't forget, during these fights he had the belts. He's the only one of the top heavyweights brave enough to take on Usyk, the others are scared.