Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

2 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Ive had a few beers, ill rewatch it tomoz sober but first impressions i thought he boxed ok! He ran out of gas! Could have done him in the 9th!

I think he just fought harder not smarter. 

Agree too on the 9th but that was all the more reason to start fast. Yes Usyk would be fresh. But so would AJ. Round 9 I think there was only one of them feeling the pace. That same pressure in the early rounds could have set a different time imo. 

Shocked by the first scorecard! I thought Usyk was more than good value for the win. His speed of movement was simply too much for Joshua who was, nonetheless, pretty game. Sadly, despite possessing every physical advantage, AJ is outgunned in every technical facet and while I see marginal gains, he is simply not progressing at a rate that will see him trouble the likes of Fury and Usyk. I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I'd like to see him get out of the game now with his health in tact.

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think he just fought harder not smarter. 

Agree too on the 9th but that was all the more reason to start fast. Yes Usyk would be fresh. But so would AJ. Round 9 I think there was only one of them feeling the pace. That same pressure in the early rounds could have set a different time imo. 

Yeh this is where i think the mentality came into it for AJ! I agree, he should have started faster (easier said than done tho) but his head wasnt there mate! He was scared of the counter! That ruiz fight fooked him up imo! I hated boxing counter punches cos youd throw n get hurt and sometimes when your in the fight you cant work out why, you just know you dont want to punch because you get one back as thats there thing n there timings better n they can read u! Thats the vibe i got from AJ watching the fight! He was worried about letting go cos of the counter n the problem for AJ is thats all he knows! If ya a banger n knock em out why learn a plan B! Aj tried a plan B but it looked liked he hadnt worked on it much!

I dont know about u lads n ive had a few beers watching the fight tonight so i need to rewatch it tomoz! But 9th round! I remember screaming finish him AJ! But he didnt, he held his guard high n just walked around n let usyk recover! First opinion, that was AJs chance, step on the gas n do him but he seemed like he had punched himself out! Again these r just first opinions, need to rewatch to get a good understanding of the fight!

For the boxing money makers they must be wondering where to go now - there is something in a Usyk vs Wilder fight, some nominal interest in an AJ vs Wilder but besides that Usyk has shown he's clearly the best of the bunch.

Only Fury can make this interesting for the next few years, he holds all the cards now. If not and he truly is retired (he isn't, his post last night proves that, but still), yes the belts will get split up and we'll see AJ fight Parker for the WBO again but lineal king, best in the world - there's only one fight out there.

As for AJ, remember when all he had to do was get past Deontay? He had a scrappy win against Parker but it looked to be his - now he's filler for the bigger story. I guess that's boxing eh!

8 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Shocked by the first scorecard! I thought Usyk was more than good value for the win. His speed of movement was simply too much for Joshua who was, nonetheless, pretty game. Sadly, despite possessing every physical advantage, AJ is outgunned in every technical facet and while I see marginal gains, he is simply not progressing at a rate that will see him trouble the likes of Fury and Usyk. I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I'd like to see him get out of the game now with his health in tact.

Agree, not in the same league as Fury. Usyk v Fury would be great to see ?

10 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Agree, not in the same league as Fury. Usyk v Fury would be great to see ?

I reckon Fury deals with Usyk quite easily. Fury himself is evasive, hard to pin down and throws shots from weird angles. He is also a very, very large man. Not sure Usyk's ability is enough to overcome the size difference and style of Fury.

12 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

For the boxing money makers they must be wondering where to go now - there is something in a Usyk vs Wilder fight, some nominal interest in an AJ vs Wilder but besides that Usyk has shown he's clearly the best of the bunch.

Only Fury can make this interesting for the next few years, he holds all the cards now. If not and he truly is retired (he isn't, his post last night proves that, but still), yes the belts will get split up and we'll see AJ fight Parker for the WBO again but lineal king, best in the world - there's only one fight out there.

As for AJ, remember when all he had to do was get past Deontay? He had a scrappy win against Parker but it looked to be his - now he's filler for the bigger story. I guess that's boxing eh!

AJ is still the biggest heavyweight out there (in terms of popularity).

Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder did big numbers because of the intrigue. Wilder is a massive puncher and is entertaining, while the first fight allowed for the follow ups. But Fury himself isn’t a bigger name than AJ.

AJ vs any opponent does and will do more numbers than Fury vs that same opponent. 

Fury may be the best. Usyk May be the best. But both of them, despite the higher skill level in boxing, don’t command the same popularity because their style probably doesn’t appeal to the casuals.

Most casuals love heavyweight bangers. Mike Tyson was more popular than Lennox Lewis despite being an inferior boxer.

I think AJ vs Wilder does more buys than Fury vs Usyk. Regardless of who has the belts.

38 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder did big numbers because of the intrigue. Wilder is a massive puncher and is entertaining, while the first fight allowed for the follow ups. But Fury himself isn’t a bigger name than AJ.

AJ vs any opponent does and will do more numbers than Fury vs that same opponent. 

Fury may be the best. Usyk May be the best. But both of them, despite the higher skill level in boxing, don’t command the same popularity because their style probably doesn’t appeal to the casuals.

Most casuals love heavyweight bangers. Mike Tyson was more popular than Lennox Lewis despite being an inferior boxer.

I think AJ vs Wilder does more buys than Fury vs Usyk. Regardless of who has the belts.

You wouldn't consider Fury/Usyk a far bigger draw after his fights with Wilder, particularly in The States.  I'd say it absolutely is.  

12 hours ago, Alpha said:

Anyone watch Zhang v Hrgovic?

I watched it pissed n still aint seem it sober but firsr impressions thought it was an odd decidion! Had zhang winning altho i was up n out n didnt see full fight will rewatch!

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I reckon Fury deals with Usyk quite easily. Fury himself is evasive, hard to pin down and throws shots from weird angles. He is also a very, very large man. Not sure Usyk's ability is enough to overcome the size difference and style of Fury.

Imo fury would throw the jab n tie usuk up on the inside!  Fury knows how to fight as the bigger man n knows how to make his attributes count! I agree fury beats him all day long!

Not had chance to re watch the fight yet but something that i remembered from lastnight was Usyk was begging for a left hook from aj! Might be wrong n will rewatch but remeber thinking, throw a left hook cos usyk had that southpaw right hand hanging when he trow a jab altho might have been a trap from usyk tho!

Edited by De22Ram

1 hour ago, De22Ram said:

I watched it pissed n still aint seem it sober but firsr impressions thought it was an odd decidion! Had zhang winning altho i was up n out n didnt see full fight will rewatch!

It was the strangest fight Ive ever seen. Weird body language. I had Zhang too. Just

11 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

AJ used to be a heavyweight banger. When was the last time he knocked anyone out? Seems like a long, long time. In his most recent fights he doesn't even seem to have been trying to knock his opponent out.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

He KO'd Pulev but before that it was Povetkin in 2018 apparently. 

It was Joseph Parker the fight before that where we first saw a Joshua that looked afraid to lose. He started badly Vs Povetkin.

I mean he could build up towards a Wilder fight and that would be great. Wilders back in October