jesse lingard?

Countryside Ram

With Ince and Johnny both being left footers and with steve liking his wingers to cut inside could this spell trouble for russell/ give an opening for someone to make the left side their own?

IMO i think it will just be a case of rotation and which players have the strengths to hurt that particular opposition that day plus tiredness factoring in as well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Lingard did well all things considered.

Looked bright, incisive, and not afraid to try things out of the ordinary...and sometimes those things don't come off - that is football.

A dangerous asset to our squad...he will blossom in the closing weeks of the season ... oodles of potential.

Atrocious? I've certainly seen worse. Nice height, but a foot wide. Bournemouth's attempts last Tuesday were much worse..

Lingard looked good, but bit similar to Ibe's debut. Hasn't quite found his way or role in this team yet. Give him game time, although with Ince available in the league, Dawkins looking like he might pick up some form, and Russell back soon, that might be tough.

Agree with most of what is on here. Got better as game went on, quick, looks to go forward. Some miscommunication issues but all understandable with new team mates. Lacks physical strength but he is young. Did fade a bit in the last 10 but Hughesy used to be a bit like that too. Like him .. Not drooling yet, Ince looks more like the full package but there is time. Looks up more than Ibe did. I reckon he is bright and will learn and improve in leaps and bounds.

The great thing is they all offer something different.

Russell - Unbelievabke work rate attacking and defensively, great pace also has great chemistry with Martin

Ince - On the ball quality with excellent finishing, if he gets a chance near the box you back him to test the keeper.

Ward - very hit and miss but when he gets it right he could take on any fullback in the division with ease.

Dawkins - Ball retention is just a joke he never loses it, always drops to receive the ball, doesn't have the pace to take a player on but when your playing against passing teams he can cause them problems by finding gaps, (see Bournemouth second goal)

Lingard - Dribbling in the final third looked good and he basically scored on debut. Unknown potential.

Not sure how good Lingard we'll see this season. He needs games to adapt and get fit again but won't get too many if wingers are fit & not suspended. Too risky to start playing him regularly if Ince, Russell and Dawkins are playing like expected.

He surely has talent but is fourth choice in my books at the moment, only Ward with his current form is behind him.

Dawkins and Ince for me tomorrow night. I still get confused why Dawkins gets so much stick, he clearly has a lot more quality then some of the drivel we have had over the past 10 years. I thought he was our best player against reading until he got taken off. 

Dawkins and Ince for me tomorrow night. I still get confused why Dawkins gets so much stick, he clearly has a lot more quality then some of the drivel we have had over the past 10 years. I thought he was our best player against reading until he got taken off. 

Dawkins is a very classy player and I'm a fan ... I too am alarmed by the hammer that he gets sometimes. His one weakness is that he doesn't hurt teams enough for the amount of ability he has.

Ince is an obvious starter tomorrow night, but I would be ever so tempted to give Lingard another run out to try to give him a little bit of momentum after an encouraging start.

I think the kid can really hurt teams if he hits his straps. Rotherham won't have enough to cope.

We know what Dawkins can do ... and we can rely on that quality as such from the bench if required.

Lack of goals and assists. Not direct enough. Too one footed. He is a good player. Great for our inter-changing midfield. Just needs to work on those weaknesses I highlighted. As for Lingard, looked good. His final ball and passing at times was disappointing. A little more care and more chances would have been created. 

Dawkins is a very classy player and I'm a fan ... I too am alarmed by the hammer that he gets sometimes. His one weakness is that he doesn't hurt teams enough for the amount of ability he has.

Ince is an obvious starter tomorrow night, but I would be ever so tempted to give Lingard another run out to try to give him a little bit of momentum after an encouraging start.

I think the kid can really hurt teams if he hits his straps. Rotherham won't have enough to cope.

We know what Dawkins can do ... and we can rely on that quality as such from the bench if required.

I agree with your points about Dawkins and I do accept that he hasn't been as consistent as he was in his first few months last season after he came in on loan. I can understand people criticising him if he's not in form but when I see people going on about how rubbish he is in terms of quality, I just don't get it.

I would also like to see lingard get a run in the team, i mean if you watch his goals on his debut for Birmingham last season hes clearly got some class, I just feel he needs to earn his place and I'm not sure against Reading he quite did enough. But going down to ten men so early on didn't really help his cause. 

I guess having so much quality in the squad is something some younger fans like me has to get used to, I've been supporting the team since the year 2000 so we haven't exactly had many great teams during that time unfortunately.

Lack of goals and assists. Not direct enough. Too one footed. He is a good player. Great for our inter-changing midfield. Just needs to work on those weaknesses I highlighted. As for Lingard, looked good. His final ball and passing at times was disappointing. A little more care and more chances would have been created. 

I agree with the lack of goals, I mean if he did add goals to his game on a more regular basis he would be top class. Personally i'd still like to see him given a chance in a more central role behind a striker. I think his movement and his ability to interchange and play quick one twos could work far better than when he is out wide. But our system works so well for our team that he probably will never get that chance.

I agree with your points about Dawkins and I do accept that he hasn't been as consistent as he was in his first few months last season after he came in on loan. I can understand people criticising him if he's not in form but when I see people going on about how rubbish he is in terms of quality, I just don't get it.

I would also like to see lingard get a run in the team, i mean if you watch his goals on his debut for Birmingham last season hes clearly got some class, I just feel he needs to earn his place and I'm not sure against Reading he quite did enough. But going down to ten men so early on didn't really help his cause. 

I guess having so much quality in the squad is something some younger fans like me has to get used to, I've been supporting the team since the year 2000 so we haven't exactly had many great teams during that time unfortunately.

Sadly for Dawko he is one of those players whose game can be misinterpreted as 'too pretty'. He has his own personal lynch mob as a result, but anyone who says that he lacks quality, technique, and skill, quite frankly doesn't know what they are talking about. He is class from a technical standpoint. His weakness in terms of hurting sides, I have already pointed out.

I agree Lingard wasn't by any means the best player on the park the other day, but it was encouraging and bright, and from that standpoint I'd be wanting to see more if I was the manager.

A fixture against a side like Rotheram is the ideal opportunity.

Its refreshing at the minute that we do have so many options of genuine quality. This side is the real deal.

If you think you've had it bad ... I was around in the early to mid-eighties!

Archived