Promotion or FA Cup?

Carl Sagan

Which would you rather win?  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How many Championship clubs have won any of those things? I'd take 9/40 over 0/40 any day.

Based on my time as a Derby fan, those things are wonderful. Getting to Europe through the league is a far better position than Europe through the cup.

I see the argument, but I don't feel the same way. Frankly, I think it's a bit pathetic that during my time as a Derby fan the best achievement I can reminisce about is the time we finished just above halfway in the top division.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 22. 

I'm 62 - and that's why we feel completely different. It's not f**king patronising, condescending or anything else. It's purely that I remember the time BEFORE Sky turned English football into a game featuring just six teams, and you only know what we have now and are therefore incapable of making a judgement based upon any sort of a meaningful comparison.

I'm 62 - and that's why we feel completely different. It's not f**king patronising, condescending or anything else. It's purely that I remember the time BEFORE Sky turned English football into a game featuring just six teams, and you only know what we have now and are therefore incapable of making a judgement based upon any sort of a meaningful comparison.

So you have to have lived through something to be able to make a judgment or comparison about it?

I'm not being patronising, but...

I watched the centenary cup final on the telly in 1972. The first cup final experience I can recall. I remember there was a parade of previous winners before the game, including someone representing Derby County. I was completely hooked at that point and so badly wanted to see the Rams in this great set-piece: The sun, the socks rolled down, the exhaustion, the fans. All of it. I wanted to be part of it. But nothing. Nothing at all.

Since that day, there have been cup final moments etched into my very being. Jim Montgomery, Bob Stokoe, Alan Sunderland, Riki Villa, 'and Smith must score', Norman Whiteside, Keith Houchen, and many more. All great moments. None of them Derby moments.

You can stick your premier league money and trying to finish in the top half.

11 players in the history of the club have won the cup. Most of them have been dead for a quarter of a century or more.

I would just like us to add to that list. 

So you have to have lived through something to be able to make a judgment or comparison about it?

You need lessons.

I think it helps. It's called 'experience' - and said experience tells me that anybody who says "I'm not being patronising, but

By that reckoning I, at my Methusala age, have buckets of experience. But sadly no wisdom which is what counts

I was trying to give RLACML a lesson in how to construct a really patronising post.

I'm 40 next year and am about the right age to have witnessed football before Sky and since. I missed out on Derby winning the league, and there's always been dominant teams in the top flight during the time I can remember.

What does amuse me is that there are people in this thread who have slated the game for being so money orientated, yet the only benefit they can see in promotion is money.

I for one couldn't care less if we missed out on promotion, I couldn't care if we lost our best players, as long as we get a fair deal for them, I couldn't really care if Steve and the coaches left, because at the end of it all, players coaches and managers come and go, they a dot on a long timeline. I just want to enjoy going to see my team play football and be competitive.

In recent years, I'd have been happy with Nigel had we been this positive and entertaining over his tenure, same under Jewell and even back to Phil Brown. 

As a fan, there are no advantages to me personally for being in the Premier League. I have no interest in seeing whoever Sky tells me is the star player coming to iPro, and I have no desire to be made to feel unwelcome in a league that is governed by parasites and vultures.

Stick your premier league, I'm happy with us as we are, where we are, enjoying the football, and throw in an FA Cup win and I'm in heaven.

Just remind yourselves that a manager and players are heroes upon promotion, come January when you're languishing, and fans are booing and every is miserable, you'll be wishing you was at the top end of the championship being the big fish.

Neither.  :ph34r:

In all seriousness though, for a club the size of ours, it would need to be both. More games in the Championship than Premier League, and I think Wigan had played in excess of 50 games by the end of last season - and they just couldn't handle having to be in the middle of Russia on a Thursday night, then back in Wigan for the following Tuesday.

You could almost say that winning the FA Cup could possibly relegate them this season, the resulting European adventure has certainly played its part. Not that Whelan/Mackay/Rosler have done them many favours in the time between, of course

Looks as if things are settling down at 40% FA Cup, 60% promotion. It's a genuine conundrum with good arguments on both sides. And I note a handful of responders have outed themselves as gumps and should sausage off to ltlf :ph34r:

We're going to know a lot more about our cup chances (if we still have them) after the weekend. I'm keeping everything crossed and think it's good all round (for league and cup) if we can keep winning. I'm tempted to start another poll asking if you'd rather have a replay or go out. For me, as many games as possible is fine: players much prefer playing over training. And it's brilliant that we have this opportunity to give gorgeous George a run out on Saturday, and I'd expect Warnock to figure too.

Promotion ... I've got a fiver on derby and luton (don't ask) getting promoted and ManU winning the cup .. 365 quid resting on this !

Really though heart says cup, head says promotion. COYR for the double and sod the 365 quid

Promotion ... I've got a fiver on derby and luton (don't ask) getting promoted and ManU winning the cup .. 365 quid resting on this !

Really though heart says cup, head says promotion. COYR for the double and sod the 365 quid

What if we play ManU in final and would get European place anyway. Would you change your 365 quid to cup victory?

I too am dreadfully sorry that I come onto this forum to talk about real football issues rather than talk crap... and don't base what I say on books I've read or videos that I've watched.

I'm sorry if i do come across as exasperated and frustrated. its just that some of what I read exasperates and frustrates me.

That is the beauty of this game i suppose ... and it's curse.

FA Cup ... would be a sweet moment for any fan

Winning the league ... far sweeter by a mile - it means you truly are the best.

By the way ... if any of you who are digging me out could GENUINELY name the entire squad that turned out for us on FA Cup final day 1946 WITHOUT having to read up on it first ... I would love to hear it face to face.

Not belittling it ... it is a brilliant, defining, famous day in our history ... just saying...some of you talk out of your backsides for the sake of it.

No it means we're in the top 20 clubs in the country. Unless you're talking about a top flight league win, in which case I 100% agree that is better than an FA Cup win. That's not on the cards though.

The moment is worth more than 365 quid ... Jees if we won the cup ! regardless of what anyone of would choose as a favourite, it would be a magical day to carry with you for ever. Can you imagine the commentary ? The faces of Hughsey at 19 years old ! and all the rest of the boys ? A bus round Derby the cup held high ( the winner was Russell drinking it over the keeper in the 89th minute ) it would be raining and Mac would have a huge brolley saying "where's Wally" on it and Chris Martin would fall up the steps when he shook Prince Williams hand. Football .. Bloody hell !

we will never ever win the PL. Thats why the FA cup has to be the one over the other.

The PL is the means to an end. ie Champions of PL would be the "ends".

We will never do this (in my lifetime) the FA Cup is the end to a means. We COULD do this in my life time.

**** money off, if you're sole purpose for promotion is "we will have more money to attract the star players" you are deluded or under 35.

Man U will attract the big players all day lomg over Southampton, no matter if Southhampton finish top and Man U finish bottom. it will take 20+ years to change that.

We will not buck that trend. sorry to say.

I see it as a financial choice between having another child (FA CUP) and cherishing that for evermore, or having a 5 bed detached with a double garage (PL status) just to keep up with the jones'.

if this is a bit cryptic, i ha-pologise, I 've been at the beer festival all day.

I voted FA cup over promotion too, was born at the fag end of the year we last won 1st division, promotion would be be fantastic, and probably in best long term interest of the club.

Selfishly would give anything to see us lift a proper trophy, that emotion of seeing Derby win something that matters to the rest of the country, and the lifetime of memories it would ensure, trumps the allure of a season battling against the odds to finish 17th or higher in the money ball league.

Players and managers come and go, and are soon forgotten, but triumphs live forever in the memory.

Archived