Can we please put a run together.

ollycutts1982

With no team apparently wanting to grab the league by the balls and take advantage of others slipping up how nice would it be if we could go on abit of a run.

Look at the silly points we've dropped, ifs and buts I know but in theory we could now be 2-3 points clear with a game in hand.

I feel the team that goes on a run will pull away.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With no team apparently wanting to grab the league by the balls and take advantage of others slipping up how nice would it be if we could go on abit of a run.

Look at the silly points we've dropped, ifs and buts I know but in theory we could now be 2-3 points clear with a game in hand.

I feel the team that goes on a run will pull away.

Yes Please

Without the silly points we've dropped I'd say we could be 10 points clear!

Hopefully this is where last year's experience will begin to tell. The teams around us aren't used to being near the top. We know what it takes to be there and what we risk if we don't push on for the autos.

Every team will say they've dropped silly points though, it's part of the game. It's easy to count up points that we didn't win and talk about the what ifs, but every team has those what ifs. What if Ipswich hadn't made a mistake and let Martin in? If they'd taken a point in that game, they'd be 2nd and 5 points clear of us. And it could quite easily have happened too. 

Bournemouth went on a spectacular run after losing to us at the iPro. What if they had decided to turn up just ONE game earlier? Possibly could be well away by now, combining with the 'what if we didn't have a perfectly legitimate goal chalked off last night'? They'd be running away with it now.

We need to sort of shizzle out. Sloppy points lost at Leeds, Boro and v Forest.

Can take the other defeats but don't think we gave anywhere near what we should have in those 3.

I expect more defeats but I just hope we don't regret any more of our efforts.

We perform from here on in, get Thorne back for that horrible March run and we'll pick up enough points to go up. Because imo we are the best side when everyone is on their game.

Maybe Boro would have beaten us at our best anyway. They were very good. But we didn't test them in that second half. We wasn't ourselves.

Forest and Leeds... Again huge chunks of the matches where in certain areas we just weren't on the plan. The wide areas were abysmal at Leeds and the central area vanished v Forest!!

That's 9 points there. If we don't add to that then we'll be fine. We'll lose, but everyone will lose. What we don't want is to commit suicide anymore.

It's the time of season now where somebody is going to get their house in order. It may be Norwich, Boro...whoever. Hope we're one.

Where has this perception come from that 'It's a poor league' or 'Nobody wants to take it by the scruff of neck' so to speak.

I mentioned on another thread, the top five teams are all on for 80 points+ 

This has not happened since 1996/97. I don't think it's a case of 'nobody wants to win it' more the fact that the top teams are all fighting it out and are being consistent.

It's unrealistic to think that one team should be finishing on mid 90s for a total points tally. This rarely happens.

Most teams who win the league have high 80s, a figure we're on course to hit along with our rivals.

Looking at past tables I was surprised that Hull finished second and lost 15 times!!

Newcastle were incredible. They lost just 4 games. All away.

And Leicester last season walked it and yet they weren't really impressing anyone with their football. It was actually us that people seemed to rate so highly.

But you're right Bris. High 80's is about the standard. We finished 3rd with 85 but last season was a high scorer for the top two. 5pts between us and QPR and then 12pts between us and 5th. Shows that 85 is a very respectable points tally. We can get that again.

Looking at past tables I was surprised that Hull finished second and lost 15 times!!

Newcastle were incredible. They lost just 4 games. All away.

And Leicester last season walked it and yet they weren't really impressing anyone with their football. It was actually us that people seemed to rate so highly.

But you're right Bris. High 80's is about the standard. We finished 3rd with 85 but last season was a high scorer for the top two. 5pts between us and QPR and then 12pts between us and 5th. Shows that 85 is a very respectable points tally. We can get that again.

TBF I was impressed with Leicester last year, thought they were a level above the rest last term.

I was impressed with their squad depth and ability to win games.

I was unimpressed by their style of play and potential though. Thought they would struggle in the Premier League, and despite throwing money about this month it's going to take somebody being utter sh!te for them to avoid relegation.

QPR, Villa, Sunderland and Hull are doing their best job though.

Totally agree we've had a hard few months IMO. We'll put a run together in Feb-Mar/Apr I think. Even if we are a few points behind this is when the magic will happen. I remember last season we did a massive won so we are capable of it.

Get Raul upto speed with basic English and get Throne for the run in. I'm just worried about losing Eustace, Omar was great 1st half but when getting closed down seemed to struggle..

No standout team does not mean league is poor standard.

Us, Boro, Bournemouth, Watford alll playing good stuff. Great to see Brentford doing so well. Ispwich providing an interesting old skool alternative. Norwich and Wolves starting to challenge the top 6, which has been unusually static for a long time.

Less easy matches this season too with only Blackpool been particularly rubbish. Don't fancy away game at Wigan and their 2nd bottom.

It's funny because we have been stumbling all season and if we win next week we could go top! This all while the rest of the top teams have been in a purple patch (maybe Bournemouth and Ipswich are about to see their dip?)

If we do put a run together then hopefully we can see a bit of light between us and the rest of the pack but from all the teams i've seen this year it's only Middlesbrough that look capable of doing that.

Edit: Just seen the goal difference as well  (joint top  :ph34r:  :p )

It's funny because we have been stumbling all season and if we win tomorrow we could go top! This all while the rest of the top teams have been in a purple patch (maybe Bournemouth and Ipswich are about to see their dip?)

If we do put a run together then hopefully we can see a bit of light between us and the rest of the pack but from all the teams i've seen this year it's only Middlesbrough that look capable of doing that.

Next Tuesday we could go joint top.

FA Cup Saturday.

Would like us to put a run together but the fixtures towards the end of the season for us look a lot easier than they do for the other promotion contenders.

If we can stay in contention for top 2 now we will run away with it later.

Next Tuesday we could go joint top.

FA Cup Saturday.

Would like us to put a run together but the fixtures towards the end of the season for us look a lot easier than they do for the other promotion contenders.

If we can stay in contention for top 2 now we will run away with it later.

I don't think I've fully woken up! Don't even know what day it is  :D

Fingers crossed.

Archived