Are we reliant on Chrissy Martin?

robglosta

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martins role is to drop deep and help link the play.

He does that with his back to goal with a centre half trying to wrestle him off the ball.

The other part of his job is to smash a few goals in the penakty area.

Ward is a winger.

Dawkins is a midfielder.

ibe is a winger.

None of those can play the role that Martin fulfills.

Could Bent?

Could Bent?

I'm not sure. Not seen enough of him.

I remember us playing villa in that pre season friendly a couple of years ago and thinking how shiite villa were apart from the no9.

Which i then noticed was the

Who said anything about back to goal? I listed a whole load of things and you pick that one out?

I suggest you watch some Man City on TV once Aguero returns, he plays most of the game with his back to goal linking play with Silva/Toure/Milner etc. As for Owen, I was highlighting that your Its about smashing a few goals with a 6'5 centre half trying to haul you back. Some of those lightweights couldn't do it. comment was nonsense.

Aguero is a tank with fast feet and amazing balance. He's uber Chris Martin.

In response to the original question, Chris Martin is pivotal to how we play. Darren Bent can't fit that role in my opinion, he's here for the plan B everyone talks about. The 4-2-4 option when we're chasing a goal. Maybe we'll start that way on occasion, can't see it though. Darren Bent better get used to sitting on the bench here at Derby rather than in Birmingham.

Aguero is a tank with fast feet and amazing balance. He's uber Chris Martin.

The lightweights i was referring too were dawkins, ibe and ward.

Agreed aguero has thighs like gabbiadini.

The lightweights i was referring too were dawkins, ibe and ward.

Agreed aguero has thighs like gabbiadini.

Yeah, don't think there's anyone else here at DCFC that can play that role. With the likes of Russell, Ward, Dawkins, Ibe and Bent the dimensions would completely change.

I'd fancy Russell to give it a good go though.

Hard to tell how reliant we are in my opinion - it's not that he's missed many games for us to able to judge how we would play without him (before anyone jumps down my throat with Millwall last year, I think we'd have been better with 10 men similar to after he got sent off v Burnley than have Sammon up top on his own).

What I do think though is that Bent knows how to play the lone striker role, and yes, it is different to how Martin plays it as he's looking for the little thru balls and turning the defence. Do you think Hughes, Dawkins, Russell and Thorne (when fit) are incapable of those types of passes?

I love how Martin plays, but I do think sometimes he can slow the game a bit because he isn't able to turn the defenders with pace.

Just like I sometimes think Hughes ends up playing the 'safe' ball to feet out wide instead of sliding it between CH and Full back! So yes, I think Martin is absolutely pivotal to how we have played for 18 months - but I think we have the options now to change subtlely and adapt as I believe these players are intelligent enough to adjust.

Following on from my earlier 5.40pm post in support of Chris Martin , and his invaluable contribution to the way that Derby play ..

A rather crucial omission to my assessment of his value was .. the many goals he now contributes !

And I think that , with his attributes , he could certainly 'cut it' in the Premier , hopefully with Derby ..

As for the 'Darren Bent Question' , I don't see DB as a like for like player at all ; in our present system he could not replace or replicate Martin if he were long term injured , the system 'up front' would have to be changed .. however , he could certainly be a good loan signing for the rest of the season , coming on for Martin late in a game if Plan A isn't working , or maybe coming on for one of the wingers , to play to the left or the right of Martin .. but I certainly wouldn't change our system just to accomodate him , that could well disrupt the momentum that McLaren has built with this team over the past year

Martin's role is not a normal one, No 9 and main pivot all in one. Only really Costa who I've seen that you can compare him to. Don't think Bent can do this but can give us more in behind. Think he is here as the plan B we have. Been lacking to play alongside Martin when we are chasing the game.

Martin is the only player at the club, and one of few in the league that could plsy the role he plays. He is without doubt our most important player and his goals, link up play, assists, space creation are critical to our style. I can only imagine two of our current 'forwards' playing up top together, something like Russell/Ward behind Bent and a diamond midfield completion. Chris Martin is a massive hero in our house.

• 2 months later...

I personally think we have enough players capable of scoring, and enough players who can play as a central striker.

I think fans buy into this myth that Martin in the side equals us playing some sort of aerial game where his jumping/height and physical strength are vital. The truth is that whilst they help, Martin's key contributions are always technical. His close control, from waist down, is very good, as is his awareness with his back to goal. He contributes with his feet simply. I think that it wouldn't change our tactics too much if Martin was replaced by Ward, Bent, Dawkins, Ibe or Russell. They'd all add something Martin hasn't got, but similarly we'd lose something that Martin has got.

In short, yes we rely on him, but I also think we'd cope without him.

​The stupidity of this post is now revealed. Anybody who was at Wigan today will have seen how he transformed our play. Hughes, who was non-descript and ineffective in the first half became a different player. Martin's contribution showed he is needed as goal scorer AND as the player who links our play together. We were looking like losing until he came on. How have we coped without him?....Not very well!

​The stupidity of this post was obvious at the time and I am now rubbing it in. Anybody who was at Wigan today will have seen how he transformed our play. Hughes, who was non-descript and ineffective in the first half became a different player. Martin's contribution showed he is needed as goal scorer AND as the player who links our play together. We were looking like losing until he came on. How have we coped without him?....Not very well!

Archived