Defence

Thorne

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think we need to improve defensively come january, but I don't think you can blame the current leaks on a specific player.

Since the run of clean sheets, grant has got injured, and butland who isn't as commanding and as good an organiser as grant, aswell as his poor distribution has come in. Forsyths been bang out of form, with noone to replace him. Whitbreads got injured, and the centre backs keep changing. I'm not a big whitbread fan, but he startef to look settled and was doing a job. And finally, mascarell has started playing, who isn't as good defensively as eustace.

I do think we need to improve defensively come january, but I don't think you can blame the current leaks on a specific player.

Since the run of clean sheets, grant has got injured, and butland who isn't as commanding and as good an organiser as grant, aswell as his poor distribution has come in. Forsyths been bang out of form, with noone to replace him. Whitbreads got injured, and the centre backs keep changing. I'm not a big whitbread fan, but he startef to look settled and was doing a job. And finally, mascarell has started playing, who isn't as good defensively as eustace.

I'm not blaming it on a specific failure, it's down to a number of factors:

Whitbread is average and plays negatively

Buxtons injury

Shotton looks good but not been given a clear run of games

Forsyth is put of form

Lack of concentration

Lack of a settled back four

Keogh has been our best defender. Christie is very good but not as defensibly capable as Wisdom

If we get a settled back four then we should improve but we have n cover for Forsyth and I'd still like to see a v good centre back come in

Do you ever stop complaining?

We won, let McClaren work on improving the defence and enjoy the fact we got 3 points

I want us to do well, I want what's best for team and good for club. I'm happy to give credit where it's due, and criticise where it's needed. A win is a win but it wasn't convincing. Our defence to put it bluntly isn't in form and is conceding not just too many goals but unnecessary goals that are simple defending, as Ramage said tonight.

We looked weak at the back and between them Shotton and Keogh looked all at sea. You have to play Bucko and Keogh it is tried and tested, they play well together. Yes we can all look for better but bar signing a major international European defender stick with them two.

Why would you drop the Shotton/Keogh partnership after a win?

We've swapped and changed too much, whether it be the keepers or the defensive side. Where's the consistency? Sure Butland couldn't play in the cup, but the defence (particually Keogh) doesn't know whos coming or going.

Grant get injured, Butland joins, all of a sudden Roos is playing, then back to Butland.

Buxton one week, Shotton the next.

Then Whitbread, then Buxton...

Eustace plays, then is dropped for Massarell

Shotton returns all of a sudden after illness and Buxton is dropped..

Keep a settle defence, Buxton isn't the answer. He wouldn't have coped with Wells tonight anyway.

Hopefully, in the coming weeks the defence will settle down. i would imagine Buxton will start alongside Keogh, Forsyth and Christie. Once Grant returns from injury we will start to settle down again and hopefully get a few more clean sheets and get confidence back up again.

The main thing today though was the win and 3 points. That will do no end of good for the morale of the team and keeps us fighting for that top spot despite how early in the season we are.

In Mac We Trust

We have one of the best defences in the league. I would persevere with Shotton. Butland is a good shot stopper. Grant has grown enormously under Eric and we miss his distribution. I hate this talk of soft goals. I expect most of our goals are perceived as "soft" by the opposition.

Archived