Defence

Thorne

There's no wonder managers and players moan that fans get on their backs at times.....

One minute people complain that we are only winning 1-0 and its 'negative' football, then we have entertaining games that are 3-2 and our defence isn't good enough?!

Also, sometimes, just sometimes, you do actually have to give the opposing team some credit for the way they play andsome of the players they have.....just a thought!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One by one:

Goalies:

Grant - Has really suprised me, proper late bloomer. Developed his distribution and organizing greatly.

Roos - Looks very, very promising. Would love to see him getting some first team football, maybe from League one?

Butland - Panic loan, I'd rather have Roos.

RB:

Christie - Revelation so far. Young player of the year? Turns very slowly to his left, crossing is woeful and defences area behind him poorly, but overall we have high PL standard player in the offing.

Shotton - Good to have around with his physicality, versality and experience.

LB:

Forsyth - OK so far this season. Position wise has developed massively in a year. Remember start of last season? He was terrible, out of position all the time.

Naylor - Should be good pro to have around, otherwise just waste of money.

CB:

Keogh - Another one who has suprised me a lot. Yes, he makes mistakes. And yes, he yells to his teammates after he has done one. At the same time, I've never seen him play as well as he is at the moment.

Bucko - Always thought he was better than Keogh but we'll see what happens next. Looks like long lasting niggling injury and you can't underestimate the meaning of that kind of harm. Hope he gets back to fitness soon.

Whitbread - Definitely underrated here. Not good enough to PL, but we aren't there yet. When not under pressure, his distribution is magnificient. When under it, vice versa. I really like him, shame he is made of glass and is American.

Shotton - Mac seems to use him against specific threats. I'm fine with that, eventho it's been while he has played regurarly as a CB which is bound to be seen.

DM: (yes, I count them too)

Eustace - Ok. Had to play more than should, always meant to be back up for Thorne but just wasn't to be. What suprises me most, is his poor positioning in throw-ins. Really shouldn't be happening.

Mascarell - Haven't seen him enough. Seems eager to tackle which is always nice to see.

Thorne - Still can't believe why WBA let their best midfielder to go!

They say that Robin Van Persil's brother is good at keeping sheets clean, generally doubles back if caught up front, but can fold under pressure. .He could become  a pillow in our defence. The last thing that we need is another laid back defender. However, I think that Steve is going to have to get up early in the morning to get another centre half cheap as the German Centre Back has already left his towel on the deck chair.

It isn't the defence that worries me but the way our midfield seems to be dropping a bit deep and not biting ankles when the opposition have possession and not moving the ball froward fast enough when we have it. I think it is this that is exposing our defence too often.

I think our midfield is in comparative terms very skilled but sometimes I think they know it and get a bit casual .. Then When you get some terriers in an opposition team we are getting caught napping.

Every home match I have seen this season we start with a ripping 20 mins where we look like we are about to destroy the other side. Then it all goes a bit slow, flat and nervy. Is this us running out of gas or them getting wise to our game ?

Still .. Think what the defence was like before Mac came .. We are developing and don't forget just one point of the top. Not exactly a problem in any area !

They say that Robin Van Persil's brother is good at keeping sheets clean, generally doubles back if caught up front, but can fold under pressure. .He could become  a pillow in our defence. The last thing that we need is another laid back defender. However, I think that Steve is going to have to get up early in the morning to get another centre half cheap as the German Centre Back has already left his towel on the deck chair.

That really must be some serious **** you are drinking at 9.19am. Please start posting on the 'pi$$ed up" thread in the Pointy Room area

Grant: badly missed. A significant loss.

Butland: good season at Brum. Ummm .....

Christie: good player. Lately not as dynamic.

Forsyth: as above.

Whitbread: historically an injury prone player.

Keysey: performing well. Committed to the cause.

Buxton: needs to get in the team, and perform to such a level that he can't be dropped; same as last season.

Shotton: not seen enough to be wholly convinced.

O'Brien: when's he coming back?

Archived