20 Fiercest Football Rivalries in England

AmericanRam

Ipswich vs Norwich isn't as fierce as ourselves vs Forest? I mean I think it is a big Derby but there's 50 miles between em.

I never really understood the Brighton vs palace rivalry until one of the lads from uni (Palace fan) explained how much hatred they had for one another.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People say the Tyne-Wear rivalry is really about the English Civil War, when Newcastle remained loyal to the crown and Sunderland sided with parliament. 

Mentioned this in a discussion with my seminar group at Uni today, discussing the Civil Wars.

Genuinely AR, cheers for this. You did my seminar prep for me in digging out this article.

There isn't any fierce rivalry now days its just sanitized ,matey ,sterile ,no atmosphere pale imitation of football I knew and loved.

Fighting on the way to the ground ,the intimidation, the mass brawl on the pitch at half time getting back on the terracing when the teams came back out etc.

Virtually men only spectator sport ,it's gone backwards big style ,bunch of nancy boys now [can I say that] .God I am starting to sound like my dad. :ph34r:

Re the Derby v Forest rivalry, my dad who watched Derby in the 30s said that he couldn't remember any such rivalry then. Mind you we were a top team and Forest were way down the food chain. Though I started watching Derby full time as it were in 1960, I watched one or two games in the 50s and even then there wasn't much intense rivalry. This seemed to ratchet up in the Clough era. The main hatred in the late 60s and 70s was kept for Dirty Leeds

Archived