Do you believe in Capital Punishment?

AmericanRam

Capital Punishment:Yea or Nay?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Going on the article posted by RLACML in the news room, thought this would be an interesting poll. I understand it is outlawed in the UK, but could come back I suppose?  Anyway, just a simple yes, no, or undecided will do.  Feel free to discuss as well.

I for one think if the crime fits, it should definitely be used: i.e. child murderers, serial killers, etc.

Thoughts?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I do. And I will say also that since there is no such thing in Finland I will hack myself anyone who kills someone from my family as soon as the murderer walks out of jail.

Ha Cheers mate.If someone did something to Victoria or anyone else in my family... hard to say what lengths I would go against them.

I know my post will get a lot of posts against it and that's ok. I just have to been raised to act by some kind of morale codes and I have developed quite hardcore against any crimes by myself. I have lived by this code for 40 years now and it hasn't been hard.

In my mind there are some crimes that deserve the capital punishment. Otherwise I have always lived by an eye for the eye in my own life.

If someone is ready willing and able to forgive say murder of their kid for less that is obviously their right.

I know my post will get a lot of posts against it and that's ok. I just have to been raised to act by some kind of morale codes and I have developed quite hardcore against any crimes by myself. I have lived by this code for 40 years now and it hasn't been hard.

In my mind there are some crimes that deserve the capital punishment. Otherwise I have always lived by an eye for the eye in my own life.

If someone is ready willing and able to forgive say murder of their kid for less that is obviously their right.

Fair points mate.This is a very debatable subject with a lot of differing opinions more than likely.I for one wholly believe in the Death Penalty if the crime fits.

To each his own,but for me if someone murders a child, is a serial killer, or something worse how should they be able to go on with their lives as if nothing happened essentially? Granted in prison for life but still.

On the flip side their are several murderers that do not deserve the Death Penalty due to how heinous or not the crime is. Very thin dividing line between which crimes are bad enough I will admit.

I love to know that my taxes are paying for John Vennables and Robert Thompson to carry on living their lives with new identities. Yeah absolutely.

RIP James Bulger.

What he suffered was unspeakable.

But then I see how punishments in some countries are carried out. Death by stoning, have you ever seen that? My god, it's macabre and inhumane. In another shoplifting crime a young boy had the hand and arm he stole with held under a trucks wheel then it got ran over. Just so barbaric.

At least those countries who do have the death penalty do it in a far more civilised manner. I know the end result is the same but the act is completely different.

Does that make them better, as a society?

Are we better off without these criminals? Are some not worth rehabilitating?

And why is Peter Sutcliffe still alive? And is Ian Brady dead yet? Cos if you ask me both of them bloody should be.

Personally I think being confined to the same 4 walls for 50 or 60 years is a worse punishment than death.

Plus the death penalty doesn't actually stop the innocent person from being killed in the first place so it just ends up as some kind of macabre catharsis for the person that has been affected/the general public.

I think life should mean life in all cases and that it's stupid some people get sentanced to 15 years but only serve 7. But the death penalty, no.

Personally I think being confined to the same 4 walls for 50 or 60 years is a worse punishment than death.

Plus the death penalty doesn't actually stop the innocent person from being killed in the first place so it just ends up as some kind of macabre catharsis for the person that has been affected/the general public.

I think life should mean life in all cases and that it's stupid some people get sentanced to 15 years but only serve 7. But the death penalty, no.

Sadly life will never be life due to the cost, the government talk a good talk on crime whilst setting the tariffs as low as they think they can get away with without causing public outcry.

No, absolutely not, because it's the one time that you cannot rectify a miscarriage of justice.

I don't think that it is even a matter for debate, because it has never been proven that having a death penalty is any greater form of deterrent than life imprisonment. 

As for it 'coming back' - no, the death penalty will never be re-introduced.

If there is ever one single mis carriage of justice ever and an innocent person is killed after the wrong verdict was found then it is totally wrong.

If we had the death penalty then the Birmingham 6 would have been dead along time before any appeal they made was heard...and Tony Martin (is that his name-the farmer who shot a burgular) would have been killed....

So, unfortunatley it is impossible to implement it because as i said if 1 innocent person ever got on the wrong end of it then the whole system collapses.

Everyone Every stupid, one-dimensional person believes in Capital Punishment. It is just an argument about who should be killed. In general, the left wingers think it should just be restricted to right wing dictators and the right wingers think it should be murderers and traitors.

Fixed

This might have been a topic for debate in the UK in the 1960s or even the 1970s, but happily we've moved far beyond it.

Even if it weren't a barbaric punishment, the "miscarriage of justice" argument should win the day. If you believe in capital punishment, you have to be prepared to be killed wrongly by the state for a crime you didn't commit. That's what you're calling for for other people, so why should you be any different?

Absolutely not. 

Firstly, as has been said already there is potential for the wrong person to be convicted, and if that happens then you can never reverse the effects.

Second, the primary aim of punishment, in my book, is reform. We need to try to help offenders to change for the better, obviously capital punishment goes completely against that.

Third, I personally believe that sitting in a maximum-security cell for the rest of your life, with all of your freedoms restricted, is more of a deterrent from committing a crime than the prospect of death.

Finally, do you really think it would be effective in the case of serial killers? These are people who are psychopathic. The prospect of a death sentence is not going to put them off committing their crimes as for them the "benefits" of their crime far outweighs any punishment, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

That being said, I think if they had a vote on it in this country, the result would be yes. If that happened, like Duracell I'd leave the country and go and live in one of the American states where the death penalty has been outlawed.

No, absolutely not, because it's the one time that you cannot rectify a miscarriage of justice.

I don't think that it is even a matter for debate, because it has never been proven that having a death penalty is any greater form of deterrent than life imprisonment. 

I never got the logic in: "We'll show you how bad murder is by murdering you!"

Absolutely barbaric practice, I'm glad the civilised world left it behind decades ago. Even one person wrongly executed should be enough for a country to have realised this, if not the practice of the state actually murdering people demonstrating it.

There have been some terrible crimes committed in this world, but there are other ways of dealing with them.

Even though you have written that you don't believe in capital punishment I believe that you do, in fact, believe in it. Imagine the worse thing possible happening to all those you love. Ask yourself if you really would be happy with the killer not being executed. If Hitler had surrendered then do you think life imprisonment would have been the right punishment.

Archived