Do you believe in Capital Punishment?

AmericanRam

Capital Punishment:Yea or Nay?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They tried to give Vennables rehab. Then they let him out and he's been done again for being in posession of child images and a class A drug.

Worked for him didn't it? Rehab. Murdering little b**tard. I hope he rots somewhere far away.

And there's no chance of him ever being innocent when it comes to James Bulgers death either.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though you have written that you don't believe in capital punishment I believe that you do, in fact, believe in it. Imagine the worse thing possible happening to all those you love. Ask yourself if you really would be happy with the killer not being executed. If Hitler had surrendered then do you think life imprisonment would have been the right punishment.

I think it's a little rich you trying to say what others are thinking.

I agree with what Eddie said and I still don't agree with the point you make.

If someone were to rape, kill, torture or do all three to my two children, I wouldn't want them to receive the death penalty simply because I do not believe it is a moral form of punishment in any society.

What I would like to see however is prisons becoming a deterrant for criminals rather than a holiday camp for those who are caught.

Prisons nowadays have menus. They have games rooms, very well equipped gyms, salaried jobs, opportunities to take courses in Higher Education for a tiny percentage of what I would have to pay for the same thing.

Even though you have written that you don't believe in capital punishment I believe that you do, in fact, believe in it. Imagine the worse thing possible happening to all those you love. Ask yourself if you really would be happy with the killer not being executed. If Hitler had surrendered then do you think life imprisonment would have been the right punishment.

What a ridiculous post. 

If your opinion changes due to a change in your own circumstances, it's not a real opinion. Whether someone kills a random or my mother, I don't think they should be killed. 

The World Map of Capital Punishment

"http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Capital_punishment/500px-Capital_punishment" alt="500px-Capital_punishment">

Dark Green = Abolished for all crimes (100).

Light Green =  Abolished for all crimes except under exceptional/special circumstances (such as crimes committed in wartime) (7)

Orange = Abolished in practice (under a moratorium or have not used capital punishment in at least 10 years) (48)

Red = Retainers of the death penalty (40)

Just have a look at the kind of nations which have the death penalty - and think about what kind of nation you want to live in.

What a ridiculous post. 

If your opinion changes due to a change in your own circumstances, it's not a real opinion.

Oh, I see. You are someone who doesn't let experience interfere with your moral opinions. You must be a young person. Let me make a prediction. In 30 years time you will probably hold the opposite moral and political view on nearly everything. Why? Experience.

Oh, I see. You are someone who doesn't let experience interfere with your moral opinions. You must be a young person. Let me make a prediction. In 30 years time you will probably hold the opposite moral and political view on nearly everything. Why? Experience.

My dad's 53 and doesn't believe in capital punishment in any form. Same for my mum I'd expect.

How many years do they have to wait before they change their opinion? Or have they just lived half a century without having any negative experiences?

Condescending sausage. You're clearly one of those people that let other people's behaviour decide your actions. 

In most parts of the world you would be regarded as stark raving mad.

No, I just think that mental illness can lead to one or two committing acts when they are not realising what they are actually doing. I also cannot justify such a punishment when there are so very many miscarriages of justice.

When you go to court over a crime, the size of your bank balance can go a long way to determining the verdict the judge will read out at the end of the case.

I'm sorry. Really I am. But I'm trying to think I would not want the death penalty for child rapists/ murderers but I'm having massive problems with it. I'd want them off the face of the earth.

Does this make me a bad person? :-(

I'm sorry. Really I am. But I'm trying to think I would not want the death penalty for child rapists/ murderers but I'm having massive problems with it. I'd want them off the face of the earth.

Does this make me a bad person? :-(

No one bit Ladyram.

I fully understand both sides of the argument and can empathise with your point of view.

I was watching a programme a week or two back. I think it was called 24 hours in police custody or something like that. It was about paedophiles that week and featured a guy who had downloaded many hundreds or thousands of incredibly disturbing images of children as young as 3 performing the most disgusting if sexual acts on adults. I found it tearful to watch especially having children of that age.

I did however rather surprisingly feel a little sorry for the man however as he seemed to be genuinely crying for help. He candidly admitted to his sins and said that he doesn't know why those images and videos excite him. He got 10 years in the end and after the programme I was thinking about how I hope he can find the kind of help he needs. I don't know why but I didn't wish him any ill will.

Maybe that makes me a bad person.

No one bit Ladyram.

I fully understand both sides of the argument and can empathise with your point of view.

I was watching a programme a week or two back. I think it was called 24 hours in police custody or something like that. It was about paedophiles that week and featured a guy who had downloaded many hundreds or thousands of incredibly disturbing images of children as young as 3 performing the most disgusting if sexual acts on adults. I found it tearful to watch especially having children of that age.

I did however rather surprisingly feel a little sorry for the man however as he seemed to be genuinely crying for help. He candidly admitted to his sins and said that he doesn't know why those images and videos excite him. He got 10 years in the end and after the programme I was thinking about how I hope he can find the kind of help he needs. I don't know why but I didn't wish him any ill will.

Maybe that makes me a bad person.

Read and listened to an interesting thing on a similar subject a while back, worth a look.

http://www.upworthy.com/this-19-year-old-pedophile-has-never-gone-near-a-child-and-he-needs-you-to-hear-his-story

Makes you look at the subject in a whole different way and definitely brings about feelings of sympathy.

I always things stuff like 'why do I like or enjoy the things I like' and I cant really explain it, you just do, it's been embedded in you since a young age. Even the sicker more disgusting things in life follow this pattern. 

Nope, that doesn't make you bad either mcsilks, even in the worst people I think it's important to look for the good in them, but that isn't always possible to see.

I don't know if I could have watched it, I have a really hard time trying to deal with it where kids are concerned.

I would bring it back for certain crimes where it is proven beyond doubt with either footage or DNA evidence.

Those barstewards that hacked Lee Rigby to death should not be allowed to live.

Tell me one good reason for keeping vermin like that alive. 

We pay to feed them, keep them warm, dental treatment and no queues at the doctors or having to ring at 8am for an appointment only to be told to call back tomorrow.

Hang the bast ards.

The World Map of Capital Punishment

"http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Capital_punishment/500px-Capital_punishment" alt="500px-Capital_punishment">

Dark Green = Abolished for all crimes (100).

Light Green =  Abolished for all crimes except under exceptional/special circumstances (such as crimes committed in wartime) (7)

Orange = Abolished in practice (under a moratorium or have not used capital punishment in at least 10 years) (48)

Red = Retainers of the death penalty (40)

Just have a look at the kind of nations which have the death penalty - and think about what kind of nation you want to live in.

Bit of a rogues' gallery in the red, ain't it?

In most parts of the world you would be regarded as stark raving mad.

He's shown how strongly he's against capital punishment by suggesting that he wouldn't want it applied even if one of his children were killed. Could you say the same? If your son/daughter murdered somebody, would you want them to be put to death?

I would bring it back for certain crimes where it is proven beyond doubt with either footage or DNA evidence.

Those barstewards that hacked Lee Rigby to death should not be allowed to live.

Tell me one good reason for keeping vermin like that alive.

We pay to feed them, keep them warm, dental treatment and no queues at the doctors or having to ring at 8am for an appointment only to be told to call back tomorrow.

Hang the bast ards.

I don't think anyone could give you a good reason for keeping them alive but the argument would be you can't kill them, as that would make you as bad as them. Just because they murdered, it doesn't give anyone the right to kill them.

And an eye for an eye, to some, is morally wrong.

You're clearly one of those people that let other people's behaviour decide your actions.

I don't even know what that means. Are you accusing me of reacting to the actions of other people? If that's what you mean then that is normal and sensible. If a nutter carrying a hatchet knocks on my door and says he has come to execute my family then what do you expect me to do? Should I ignore him and pretend that he is not there?

Archived