Different teams for home and away games

Day

Seen this a few times mentioned, I'd play X player at home and X player away, I feel like I need educating on this because I believe that your strongest team is your strongest team home or away.

Without mentioning the "C" word we are a top team now, if you don't believe me look at the table, teams will be changing their line ups to try and beat us not the other way around and that's not being arrogant it's what happens. That's not to say we don't look at the opposition and make slight tactical changes given the opposition but not based on if we're at home or away.

I don't believe for a second that some players are better suited at home than away and if they were we should sell them, only being available for half the season is no good.

What does everybody think? I have no footage either?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seen this a few times mentioned, I'd play X player at home and X player away, I feel like I need educating on this because I believe that your strongest team is your strongest team home or away.

Without mentioning the "C" word we are a top team now, if you don't believe me look at the table, teams will be changing their line ups to try and beat us not the other way around and that's not being arrogant it's what happens. That's not to say we don't look at the opposition and make slight tactical changes given the opposition but not based on if we're at home or away.

I don't believe for a second that some players are better suited at home than away and if they were we should sell them, only being available for half the season is no good.

What does everybody think? I have no footage either?

I agree but only to an extent. For example at Norwich/Forest/Cardiff etc away I would feel much more comfortable with a more defensively minded RB like Shotton than Christie who's defensive positioning can be dodgy at times. But yeah, there should be no situation where we say "A should be played at home and B should be played away no matter what".

It's not so much about home and away, as what we are expecting the opposition to do. For example, if we expect them to come at us, we'd be better off with Eustace protecting the back 4, whereas if we expect them to sit deep and defend, we'd be better off with Mascarell to try and pass his way through them. It just tends to happen that teams are more progressive at home, and more defensive away, so that's where the 'play player X at home' stuff comes from.

Whilst we should be highlighting our strengths and having the attitude of 'how they should deal with us' instead of the other way round, there are some slight changes I'd like to make for specific matches.

I'd definitely prefer Omar against teams who are just willing to stick back, whereas the experience of Eustace until Thorne comes back was and will continue to be invaluable for those tricky away games at the likes of Forest and Blackburn.

Two games stand out for me where I'd definitely change things abit and they are Ipswich and Cardiff City away. Both are pretty much reliant on scoring set pieces so I'd definitely want Shotton, Keogh and Whitbread starting and if that means sacrificing Christie's excellent attacking play from RB then so be it.

Whilst we should be highlighting our strengths and having the attitude of 'how they should deal with us' instead of the other way round, there are some slight changes I'd like to make for specific matches.

I'd definitely prefer Omar against teams who are just willing to stick back, whereas the experience of Eustace until Thorne comes back was and will continue to be invaluable for those tricky away games at the likes of Forest and Blackburn.

Two games stand out for me where I'd definitely change things abit and they are Ipswich and Cardiff City away. Both are pretty much reliant on scoring set pieces so I'd definitely want Shotton, Keogh and Whitbread starting and if that means sacrificing Christie's excellent attacking play from RB then so be it.

drop Christie ? You're barking.

Agreed with Bris here.

Attacking wise it's all about options. In our case at the moment we have those in wide areas. Ward against attacking fb, Ibe against slow, Dawkins when centre midfield needs help etc.. What I would love to see is tall and good header in wing against tiny fullbacks. Option which ain't much used but very effective. Eventho we have very good options on the wings, I'd love to have even more...

But it doesn't really mean a **** do we play home or away. Opposition tactics and players do.

Only for those two games. I'd say Ipswich and Cardiff City are probably the two most physical sids we've played so far. They've probably scored around 20 goals this season between them through corners and freekicks.

You're being a loon Bris. No dropping of Christie ever never ever. You sound like you're saying he's a liability defending yet he's been an ever present in our recent unscored upon run. It's sacrilege! Next thing you will want Hughes out too. Jeez.

You're being a loon Bris. No dropping of Christie ever never ever. You sound like you're saying he's a liability defending yet he's been an ever present in our recent unscored upon run. It's sacrilege! Next thing you will want Hughes out too. Jeez.

You clearly misunderstood my point.

I think Christie has been excellent. But Cardiff City and Ipswich especially are not only two of the best set piece teams in the Championship but probably in Europe.

Ipswich have scored so many goals from set pieces it's unreal.

Against these two teams, I'd like us to have more height and strength. I think Shotton is better in the air against Christie, and his inclusion at defending set pieces could be the difference between letting slip a lead and winning the game.

If the gulf in class between the two teams was greater then I wouldn't fret so much. But our recent record against Ipswich is terrible and out of the last three games againts us they've scored FIVE goals from set pieces.

I agree with that, same applies to Mascarell and Eustace for the same reason, although not sure

whether Mascarell's speed gets him in against experience???

I'm going to have to look back at the posts I saw and start calling people out, this has become far to one sided and I know I saw people saying Omar would be better at home, Eustace away. Hand yourself in and save me some time

I see where you're coming from Daveo. I can also see what people are saying about Omar he has better passing and more direct etc. I think they are trying to say Eustace is sometimes wasted just sitting there if they never have any intention of attacking.

That's when Omar will provide forward thinking balls and carry the ball instead of passing it sideways or back to the GK.

IMO Eustace is the man thoe since he has came in our form has risen to top 2 fighters.

Fereguson always played his best team, home and away but for tricky six pointers he might tinker t9o ensure not losing the away game. There are about four or five key away games to come, Watford, Norwich, Wolves, Middlesborough ans Cardiff. I would settle for draws in all of those then beat them at home. Contenders are then put in their place. In reality we will win at least one or two of them but maybe draw one or two at home. swings and roundabouts. Just do not lose twice against them. See Burnley and Leicester last season for details. Whatever team it takes to win the game using fourteen players then use that team. McClaren knows exactly what he is doing. Eustace is the key until Thornissimo returns.

Archived