Do you have any rules you try to follow in life ?

petersimple

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2. Never ask a question unless you know the answer.

Makes things a bit difficult if you're meeting a group of people for the first time. I would think it makes you come across as self obsessed and not interested in anyone else's life or experiences.

I'll take my chances being friendly, curious, interested in people and maybe put my foot in it 0.1% of the time, thanks all the same.

Makes things a bit difficult if you're meeting a group of people for the first time. I would think it makes you come across as self obsessed and not interested in anyone else's life or experiences.

I'll take my chances being friendly, curious, interested in people and maybe put my foot in it 0.1% of the time, thanks all the same.

Asking questions is rude in some cultures. If you are meeting people for the first time then you can prompt them without asking direct questions. For example, if you are talking to some Americans and you want to know what part of America they are from then you might just say something like "You've got a nice accent" and they will probably tell you where they are from. When you start asking direct questions some people become very defensive. Let them volunteer the information.

If you don't ask, you don't get...

I always say this to my friend - who is a good looking guy - if we're on a night out. He will see a hot girl but never talk to them or do anything.

I always tell him ask him 'What will happen if you don't do anything, if you don't go and talk to her?' - the anwer is always the same - absolutely nothing!

Those that succeed in life tend to be pro-active, confident, motivated and above all social. So many good things have happened to me because I opened my mouth - I have no idea where I would be now if I was a miserable, negative, unsocial git.

Also, I don't agree with that about only asking questions you know. I love finding out new things, learning all the time - so I always ask questions I don't know the anwer to. 

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Move over b4, we have a new general to lead us into battle.

Best advice I was ever given was 'when you're on the verge of losing your temper, count to 10, think if losing your temper will improve the situation you're in, if so go ahead'.

The person who gave me this advice was a complete sausage, but it's served me well so far.

Archived