who has done enough tonight

sage

Roos, Shotton, Mascarell, Ibe and Best all had a chance to stake their place v Bolton

I thought Shotton and Ibe have done enough to warrant a starting place. Macarell did quite well and maybe if the next game was at home he might have sneaked in but as it is I reckon Eustace will hold onto his place...for now.

Roos did well but only in that if Grant gets injured we would give him a go rather than get a loan keeper in.

Best is best left to the bench.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the home/away argument with Mascarell - especially as the next game is against Bolton.

Bolton, typically, don't have a lot of the ball and will naturally sit back and try and soak up the pressure. I believe Mascarell - on the face of it - would be a better fit than Eustace in this instance.

They also don't have any much physicality in their midfield so it's not like we're in desperate need of a scrapper in there. 

I guess it's all down to opinion and I could be miles off, but Bolton could offer another good platform for Mascarell to build upon. Whereas the next home game, Bournemouth, may need someone in the middle to fight and challenge for the ball as they will want to play a possession-heavy game too. 

I wasnt there tonight, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont buy this sort of, flimsy or light weight perception of Mascarell.

I've only seen him for however long he came on against Charlton in the league, 45 minutes I think?

But he definitely put himself about, was throwing himself into challenges and was busy.

I didnt even think he played very well in that game, average, but I wouldnt criticise him for sherking or hiding. 

Mac is normally pretty conservative over team selection. From tonight it sounded as if:

• Ibe
  • Russell
  • Mascarell
  • Shotton

were all pushing for a place, but I don't see that we'll make more than two changes from the starting 11 against Cardiff who so dominated the first half. That's if everyone's fit.

I expect Shotton to stay in over Whitbread. Ward's our top scorer and has been playing well, so deserves to stay in. Competition for places is what we want. I think we saw what it meant for Russell to get his beautifully taken goal tonight. But Ibe scored off the bench at the weekend. Since Eustace has started, we've been much more balanced. I think the other change will be Ibe for Dawkins.

Mascarell and Russell will be good options from the bench. If Hughes is struggling after that knock, then it's probably between Dawkins and Mascarell for the other midfield berth.

As others have said, it is always nice to have the luxury of a squad where their are several options that could be put into the starting XI. I obviously was not at the match vs. Reading, but from what I gathered from the radio and other's perceptions of the match, it seems that Omar played pretty solid, and Ibe was very much quality all around as well.

I also expect Shotton to start over Whitbread for the immediate future and he has a chance to really solidify the position as his while Bucko is out.  I like Zak and think he is a very solid CB who on his day is an above average one.  However, Shotton has better positioning it seems to me when he is marking attackers, and better with his head also.  I also see Ibe being put into the starting XI versus Bolton.  His obvious talent and quality imo is being wasted on the bench, and I am very excited to see what he can do league matches being in the starting XI from the beginning.  He was great to day in that it sounded like, and I expect more of the same.  Ward is playing great, so should not be moved.

As far as Omar goes, I feel as others have said that he should get a shot against Bolton; we will just have to wait and see.  Dawks would do quite well imo alongside Bryson and Hughes as well if Hughes is fit.  Whoever Mac chooses between the two if it comes to that, I will be fine with either.

It is a great time to be a Ram, and I love how our squad is made up.  Hendrick will hopefully be back before too much longer, and Roos played pretty solid today which is great.

I think he'll pick the same team that started Cardiff.

But I think any less than an 8/10 performance from Ward, Eustace or Whitbread will cost them their place for Tuesday night.

I think Ibe, Mascarell and Shotton are right there now and I don't think they'll have to wait for a poor performance anymore, just an average one.

Best could have been in that situation if he'd played well too. Martin has probably been putting in 6 and 7/10 performances mostly. Would that be fair to say? So I think again another 6/10 performance would have made him vulnerable to Best. But he's fooked that up tonight.

Our squad is really good now. In these recent years the difference between our second string side and first team was big. One was an average Championship side and the other was definitely L1 material imo.

This team he put out tonight... if we had to play the rest of the season with that team then would it really be THAT bad? Keeping in mind Hendrick, Ward and Buxton not involved.

We've got depth. At last!!

Ibe has to start.

It's harsh on Dawkins, but Ibe simply offers more of an attacking threat. I'd love Dawks to get a run at CM, but it seems that with all of our efforts going in to signing Bryson up on a new deal, it wouldn't suprise me if...

A - Mac seems almost forced to play him everygame

or B - Brys has some sort of clause in his contract that states he'll play X amount of games when fit.

or C - Mac sees Brys as pretty much undroppable despite a number of rather average performances

I can't ever see Dawks being given a decent run out at CM unless we get a number of injuries

Ibe has to start.

It's harsh on Dawkins, but Ibe simply offers more of an attacking threat. I'd love Dawks to get a run at CM, but it seems that with all of our efforts going in to signing Bryson up on a new deal, it wouldn't suprise me if...

or B - Brys has some sort of clause in his contract that states he'll play X amount of games when fit.

or C - Mac sees Brys as pretty much undroppable despite a number of rather average performances

I can't ever see Dawks being given a decent run out at CM unless we get a number of injuries

i like your idea of dawkins being more central, but i dont understand your Bryson issue. he'S been out of form but, the last couple of games he's been looking alot better, he grabbed us a point the other day with a nicely taken goal, he scored the week before the week before and he's been our player of the season twice. you dont just f*ck one of your normally most consistent midfielders off to try an attacker out ( who also had a few shockers at the start of the season)  in the position youve held down and made your own for the past 3 seasons. 16 goals he got from midfield last season. if anything it shows good man management, abit of confidence and patience in your players. your ABC sounds like a vendetta. but i'm sure Dawkins can and possibly will do a job there when needed.

i like your idea of dawkins being more central, but i dont understand your Bryson issue. he'S been out of form but, the last couple of games he's been looking alot better, he grabbed us a point the other day with a nicely taken goal, he scored the week before the week before and he's been our player of the season twice. you dont just f*ck one of your normally most consistent midfielders off to try an attacker out ( who also had a few shockers at the start of the season)  in the position youve held down and made your own for the past 3 seasons. 16 goals he got from midfield last season. if anything it shows good man management, abit of confidence and patience in your players. your ABC sounds like a vendetta. but i'm sure Dawkins can and possibly will do a job there when needed.

I don't have a vendetta against Bryson, other than I think he's overrated - even last season.

When he was firing on all cylinders he was great, but lets be honest his goals were spread out and his consistency has not been as good as what some have said. I bet people are suprised by this stat by Bryson has only scored in five games this year, one less than Hendrick. 

With Bryson I just feel it's eaither he's on the scoresheet and had a great game or he's done very little and the game has bypassed him. 

But my post wasn't actually a dig at Bryson and it wasn't a call for him to be dropped instead of Dawkins. I really don't want Dawks to play out wide as he's wasted there and his attributes are perfectly suited to play down the middle. But does he deserve to play down the middle instead of Hughes or Bryson? Arguably not and I don't think Mac would go for that option anyway.

I just think he's out of position on the wing and fans getting on his back are being slightly unfair.

I agree with you that he'd probably be better in the middle Bris. Just don't think he's got the interest in getting back as much as Hughes or Bryson. I could just imagine him trying to beat players on the edge of our area or being stood 10 yards from Martin watching Hughes and Eustace getting back behind the ball.

I think you're right. In this system I don't think he'll get any more central than drifting inside as a winger. I'd like to see it, but I don't think it'll happen.

As a winger though I still prefer him over Ward and Russell.

Russell, imo, always looks good coming off the bench and makes you say he should be starting. But it's rare that you get that impact from him when he does start.

I rate Ward the least of the three.

But Ibe has sort of looked to have the best attributes of the three of them combined. One wing has got to go to him. I still hope Dawkins keeps the other. Problem is they both prefer the left.

.........................................Grant......................................

Christie............Keogh................Shotton...............Forsyth

......................................Mascarell..................................

..............Bryson.................................Hughes

Ward..........................Martin..............................Ibe

Roos - Whitbread - Dawkins - Russell - Best - Eustace - Naylor

.........................................Grant......................................

Christie............Keogh................buxton.............Forsyth

......................................eustace..................................

Roos - Whitbread - Dawkins - Russell - Best - Shotton - mascarell

I don't get the home/away argument with Mascarell - especially as the next game is against Bolton.

Bolton, typically, don't have a lot of the ball and will naturally sit back and try and soak up the pressure. I believe Mascarell - on the face of it - would be a better fit than Eustace in this instance.

They also don't have any much physicality in their midfield so it's not like we're in desperate need of a scrapper in there. 

I guess it's all down to opinion and I could be miles off, but Bolton could offer another good platform for Mascarell to build upon. Whereas the next home game, Bournemouth, may need someone in the middle to fight and challenge for the ball as they will want to play a possession-heavy game too. 

You will be accused of using hindsight...  :lol:

Hughes took quite a knock last night, and was rightly substituted, which was a shame since he was playing so well. If it were me, I'd be tempted to rest Hughes for the Bournmuff game and stick Dawkins in there with Bryson. He looks comfortable there seemed to be playing more central against Cardiff, and was there vs. Reading. Put Ibe and Ward on the wings, Russell had a decent game, but not enough to warrant a place ahead of Ward/Ibe. Think I'd leave Mascarell in at DM, he's calmed right down and put a tidy performance in last night. 

All said and done, these selection headaches are a nice problem to have. Much rather that than have to find square pegs to fit round holes. 

Christie............Keogh................buxton.............Forsyth

......................................eustace..................................

Roos - Whitbread - Dawkins - Russell - Best - Shotton - mascarell

Isn't Buxton still out inured?

Mascarell played very well.  Will not start ahead of Eustace on Saturday, but is growing into role. He did roam a lot ....whether that is what Management Team want we will have to see.  Eustace stays a lot more central.

Shotton played very well, personally do not think it is the right time to drop Whitbread, who has the shirt and played superb at Blackburn

Ibe - must start. Even at the end he had not drifted out of the game. Still running at and past their defence at the end. Incredible fitness, and must really scare a tiring defence, as he showed at Blackburn

Ward - if fit must come back in

Dawkins - will be unlucky, but likely start on bench vs Bolton  ( Ibe has scored, and hit bar and should have scored against Blackburn. )

Russell - Will not start vs Bolton. I am never convinced by his all round play. Great goal, scored from a central position.  Amount of time he loses ball, runs into players is disruptive to our flowing play.

Best .........obviously not on his game one bit. On that showing Salmon would be better. I hope and do think Best can improve, but it is back up to Martin we really miss in the squad, as I am sure the Managers know.

Ibe has to start.

I'd argue it's more of a case of Bryson and Hughes or Bryson and Dawkins. 

Bryson and Hendrick are our goal threats from centre midfield, no one can doubt that. But Dawkins and Hughes have the technical ability to offer a killer pass in the final third and keep things ticking all around the pitch. Saying that, I don't think Dawkins would offer as much defensively as Hughes. 

Dawkins had been playing a free role when on the right side, with Christie tasked with the job to run the length of the wing. I thought it had worked well due to his freedom to come inside, but I would like to see us go back to two out and out attacking wingers. 

I do believe Dawkins could be a very good centre mid, instead of a good winger, but I don't think he could be as effective as Bryson and I don't think he could oust Hughes at the minute. He may have to bide his time. 

Mascarell played very well.  Will not start ahead of Eustace on Saturday, but is growing into role. He did roam a lot ....whether that is what Management Team want we will have to see.  Eustace stays a lot more central.

Shotton played very well, personally do not think it is the right time to drop Whitbread, who has the shirt and played superb at Blackburn

Ibe - must start. Even at the end he had not drifted out of the game. Still running at and past their defence at the end. Incredible fitness, and must really scare a tiring defence, as he showed at Blackburn

Ward - if fit must come back in

Dawkins - will be unlucky, but likely start on bench vs Bolton  ( Ibe has scored, and hit bar and should have scored against Blackburn. )

Russell - Will not start vs Bolton. I am never convinced by his all round play. Great goal, scored from a central position.  Amount of time he loses ball, runs into players is disruptive to our flowing play.

Best .........obviously not on his game one bit. On that showing Salmon would be better. I hope and do think Best can improve, but it is back up to Martin we really miss in the squad, as I am sure the Managers know.

Despite his stature and strength, Best just isn't a "hold up the ball" type player, he runs off the back of players, which is why he'd be better suited playing off Martin rather than on his own. When he next plays the midfield would be better trying to play him in round the back rather than too his feet.

Archived