Switzerland v England

Day

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were really professional last night, I assume that all the people moanjng on here will be gutted if Derby go to Forest this week in potentially their hardest away fixture if the season and come away with a 2-0 victory..??

I am not a fan of Baines at all but thought he was superb against the "alpine maradonna" and Delph looked really good in midfield too.

Wayne lead the line well, great move for the first goal.

All in all a thoroughly satisfactory day,et a couple of Ilson Rams in the pub before hand too....derby all over the world..!

Am I the only person who can't stand the way England play these days? There seems to be no urgency and every time I watch I'm bored shirtless.

Roy is talking like we've thrashed a top team 5-0, "We've been building up to a performance like this for 2 years." **** off Roy, I watch better and more exciting performances from Gresley Rovers.

I was very satisfied with tonight. Players like Delph and Welbeck having great games showing that the team equals more than the sum of the parts.

Thought at times we played some nice stuff and thought at times we looked a bit shakey but we are moving forwards with a young team so it's not gonna be perfect.

People saying it's only Switzerland need to take their heads out their arses. They're better than us according to recent tournaments and FIFA rankings (dodgy but still) and we beat them well.

If you are bored poo less.....don't watch them then...?

Last night was a very good performance against a decent team, in their back yard, with a decent amount of pressure and a good atmosphere.. like i said earlier...if Derby perform like that against Forest this weekend...will you still be "bored shirtless" and will have "watched more excitign games at Gresley"...?

The negativity that sorounds the England team is rancid.....no other nation in the world is like it.

The Premier League & European elite football generally has a lot to answer for.

I really think the modern supporter has been brainwashed into thinking that teams are almost like machines. If it seems to be broken spend a fortune to replace the defective part and the machine continues to rumble on undefeated. Players never have off days and tactics are always correct no matter what the opposition does. As a result we get negative comments based on a ridiculously high expectation.

In the real world of International football or the types of division we (Derby) play it doesn't work like that. The joy of football used to be the enjoyment of watching your team perform well. To praise them when they performed well and yes be disappointed when things went wrong or you simply didn't have a good side but never ever did you rubbish YOUR team like some do today. 

You can't buy international players only nurture them.

You can't argue with the result and there were some good performances out there. They seemed much more tactically aware last night and worked better as a team. 

One thing that still shocks me is the lack of basic technical skill some of our players have. Simple control and passes completely fluffed, that sort of thing isn't going to improve much either, Wellbeck is a prime example, he frequently loses the ball often under little pressure. Still he scored two poachers goals so at least he contributes something important. 

Sterling could be a gem of a player if coached well and I have to give credit to Cahill, never really a fan but he played well last night and had a good WC. 

For me our main problems lie in midfield, Wiltshire is a decent player, but has no brain. Henderson is a bit of a plodder so a lot of room for improvement in there. Still midfield was a major problem for us even when we had top players in there. 

Some positive sign that need to be improved upon.

How on earth can a counter-attacking team be described as having no urgency?

We're improving on that side massively. We have some of the fittest players in the world with plenty of pace - why not make the most of it?

The worry for me is that we haven't got the playing style for chasing games or facing a "park the bus" side at home, but we're really good at being 1-0 up away from home as last night proved. We'll qualify easy and if the games suit us in the Euros, we'll make it out of the group stages.

I thought Rooney looked like a player playing with pressure, rather than thriving under it. He should have wellied that pass from Wilshere. That was the main negative.

Apart from that, very very good performance.

The Premier League & European elite football generally has a lot to answer for.

I really think the modern supporter has been brainwashed into thinking that teams are almost like machines. If it seems to be broken spend a fortune to replace the defective part and the machine continues to rumble on undefeated. Players never have off days and tactics are always correct no matter what the opposition does. As a result we get negative comments based on a ridiculously high expectation.

In the real world of International football or the types of division we (Derby) play it doesn't work like that. The joy of football used to be the enjoyment of watching your team perform well. To praise them when they performed well and yes be disappointed when things went wrong or you simply didn't have a good side but never ever did you rubbish YOUR team like some do today.

You can't buy international players only nurture them.

The difference between the Prem and Elite Euro football is that the big leagues in rest of Europe have been able to deliver top clubs and top international sides too.

I have just seen all the squad going through Basel airport on their way home.....I had a word with a few of them....Rooney was really nice, stopped and chatted for about 5 minutes along with Ricky Lambert.....I spoke to Roy and told him that i thought they were excellent last night, he just thanked me and said "it's always nice to please the fans, the rest of them, they will never be happy"..!

Then I saw Wellbeck...and told him that I have a bet that he wouldn't get 20 goals this season.....Joe Hart laughed and said my money was "totally safe"....Wellbeck seemed to have other ideas....and said "you should pay up now"....

There must have been 4 or 5 of them that i hardly recongised.....

and of course...Leighton Baines was splendid with a huge quiff and his guitar strapped to his back....

I have just seen all the squad going through Basel airport on their way home.....I had a word with a few of them....Rooney was really nice, stopped and chatted for about 5 minutes along with Ricky Lambert.....I spoke to Roy and told him that i thought they were excellent last night, he just thanked me and said "it's always nice to please the fans, the rest of them, they will never be happy"..!

Then I saw Wellbeck...and told him that I have a bet that he wouldn't get 20 goals this season.....Joe Hart laughed and said my money was "totally safe"....Wellbeck seemed to have other ideas....and said "you should pay up now"....

and of course...Leighton Baines was splendid with a huge quiff and his guitar strapped to his back....

hope it wasn't a big bet ;)  :lol:

So happy with the result good performance. If people don't like it then DON'T WATCH IT THEN. Great day/night yesterday with brilliant England mates roll on Estonia away next month :D 

People saying it's only Switzerland need to take their heads out their arses. They're better than us according to recent tournaments and FIFA rankings (dodgy but still) and we beat them well.

Eh? The Swiss aren't that good, they didn't even qualify for Euro 2012 and they somehow found themselves a top seed for the 2014 qualifiers - ahead of France who made the 1/4s at Euro 2012.

The rankings make no sense, and Switzerland benefited from a ridiculously easy group in the 2014 qualifying (Norway, Iceland, Cyprus, Albania and Slovenia). 

Not only that they were handed Honduras (rubbish) and Ecuador (worst South American team) as their non-european opponents. They did well against the Argies admittedly, but they're no way on earth a top 10 team-

There is no point in building the England win up to such proportions. We're no way near as bad as what people make out - nor were we ever as good as what others made out six-ten years ago.

England are like a Tottenham Hotspur who just beat Basel away 2-0. A good win, but we didn't just beat Real Madrid...

"Hey Danny! Thanks for the goals mate but I just wanted you to know that I have so little faith in you that I have wagered my hard earned money on you being utterly awful this year! Pleasure to meet you!"

Fill him full of confidence and encouragement why don't ya?  :lol:

We'll definitely qualify. England gets slagged off for quality but we've easily got enough decent players out there to beat the likes of Estonia, Luthiania, Slovenia and of course San Marino.

Qualification is assured.

I've also said it so many times but I'd take no notice of the rankings as they're an absolute farce.

Why are the Swiss and Croatia above France and Mexico respectively when the World Cup shows otherwise. And Chile...

Switzerland are 9th, yet they're not even a top 10 European team. Spain, Italy, England, Belgium, France, Germany, Holland, Russia, Sweden and Croatia are all much better...

FIFA are based in Switzerland aren't they?  :rolleyes:

Archived