Bucko and Keogh - Pick One, Drop One

robglosta

The key at the back is stability, and particularly if Buxton were struggling with fitness at the time I'd personally go with Keogh and Shotton if Shotton has been brought in to be a centrehalf. Buxton would offer amazing competition for both of them, not to mention Whitbred.

That's if one had to be dropped that is. Personally I'd keep both as starters and wait for when something has to be changed, as with Eustace and Thorne last season.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither as they have complimented each other well over last thirty/forty odd games.

Strange why we have to compare two defenders who are at there prime.

One has worked his way there and improved staggeringly beyond all means. Wasn't so long ago people would cast him off like Saul Deeney.

The other I think has a touch of class I feel and is better than what people suggest.

One criticism I have of Bucko he does tend to stand off players when they close in goal thus them getting a shot in.

One criticism I have of Keogh is that I feel he tries to be something he ain't. A ball playing centre half.

Those last two paragraphs sums up why I think they compliment so well together. And WORK together.

Arthur Cox - "I'm looking for a player's replacement the day after I've signed him".

Doesn't matter how good we think a player is or how much we love him, once someone obviously better slots into his position it becomes a case of "I really liked -------, but I must admit I prefer this guy". Evolution, it has to be the way.

Arthur Cox - "I'm looking for a player's replacement the day after I've signed him".

Doesn't matter how good we think a player is or how much we love him, once someone obviously better slots into his position it becomes a case of "I really liked -------, but I must admit I prefer this guy". Evolution, it has to be the way.

You are right of course. Shotton will report for training, his fitness assessed, his interaction with the other players, his performance in training, his ability to understand the Derby or the McClaren way. If he has been brought in as a centre back he will make his debut as a replacement for either Bucko or Keogh when either is injured or he looks so darned good in training he has to play.

Pick Keogh, drop Buxton. Keogh is the better player and we should be looking for 10 outfield players who are able to play with the ball at their feet. Keogh is also less likely to be exposed, especially for pace.

I would like Keogh to concentrate for 90 minutes though.

Buxton is a great back up, squad member and, I would imagine, excellent to have around the dressing room.

Prefer not to drop either one,but I guess it would be Keogh if I had to pick someone.Buxton is not as error prone and is stronger on the ball imo.Really though see neither one leaving anytime soon as if new cb does comes in,imo they will be just used for cover imo for Bucko and Keogh.

Obviously their is a variety of different opinions on this.

Archived