Bucko and Keogh - Pick One, Drop One

robglosta

Okay, let's all assume that a new CB is signed* and they are far superior (ignoring any boring realities like 'time to gel' etc) than both Keogh and Buxton.

Who do you drop?

Keogh as Buxton is a stronger defender?  Buxton as Keogh is our Captain?

For me:

I would drop Keogh: far too error prone, positionally inferor and prefer Buxton as a no nonsense defender to complement the new, technically excellent CB.

*for fun and discussion, I am not #ITK. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on whether the new CB is right or left footed but in the spirit of the OP I'd drop Keogh - tooooo many errors and seemingly panics when on the ball (always gives me a cold feeling when he is wondering what to do with that damned round thing). Buxton is solid and has a good range of passing - only area he lacks for me is he isn't quick but he copes with that with a good reading of the game

None question, I don't get why being captain should save you from being dropped? I think both are good Championship defenders, and if you listen to Sheffield Wednesday fans, they are the best pairing in the division. However, I don't know how anyone can doubt that Buxton is the better player, it simply isn't close for me. 

Keogh is quicker, but that's it. Buxton is a stronger player in pretty much every single way. 

Bucko is immense and probably stronger than Keogh right now, but if we got into the Premiership he'd be the one that would most likely get found out, so I'd drop him now to nurture a Keogh+newCB partnership.

People forget Keogh was also brilliant last season - "prone to mistakes" is an easy label everyone is ready to jump on after Wembley. Remember it was also bad defending by Fozzy and Bucko.

Bucko is immense and probably stronger than Keogh right now, but if we got into the Premiership he'd be the one that would most likely get found out, so I'd drop him now to nurture a Keogh+newCB partnership.

People forget Keogh was also brilliant last season - "prone to mistakes" is an easy label everyone is ready to jump on after Wembley. Remember it was also bad defending by Fozzy and Bucko.

I don't know, it took Eto'o a couple of weeks to find himself a way to get out of Buxton's back pocket. I would also argue that pace doesn't necessarily mean that you're better suited to the Premier League.

Buxton's aerial dominance, passing and positioning would stand him in better stead than Keogh's ability to correct mistakes.

In truth, if promoted, I would want two new centre-backs. However, I would be happy for Buxton to play a fairly big part. Keogh, not so much.

As I've said, I don't think either need replacing and I'm happy. I would laugh Keogh out of the room if he came wanting big wage demands - He's a player that I really wouldn't want us to break the bank to keep.  

Bucko's doing brilliantly to say that he is carrying a lot of excess weight - all these so-called 'top' strikers that are lodged safely in his pocket.

Pick Bucko.

Defrnsively good

His passing is sublime - offers a genuine outball

Question for you which side of the defence does Bucko play.

Which side does Whitbread play and now Shotton where does he fit in .

Left and right hand side for CBs is vital and players don't often perform as well on the wrong side that they are used to.

Bucko and Keogh are a good pair as is Keogh and Whitbread.

Bucko and Whitbread didn't seem so good last season as both play left CB position

Archived