Mascarell

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all very well saying pass a team into submission but we have to penetrate beyond a back line. Martin isn't that type of player (did it once in the Wednesday game), and with Bryson off form currently you need our wingers. This is not the style of play for Ward or Dawkins but it is for Best and Russell. This is why we looked so much better after they came on yesterday.

I called for Omar to start the season in the CDM role. Everyone said Hughes as we can't drop neither of the 3. Not being funny but when have Hughes,Hendrick and Bryson worked together? Clough realised this and brought in Eustace so why have we gone back to the 3 which don't work?

Hughes looks decent there but something is not right if we start Omar there most likely well look our selfs again! Question is who do you drop... I say Bryson hasn't looked the same and I don't even realise he's playing any more!

As soon as he came on and Hughes pushed forward the whole team seemed to click again, everybody looked a lot more comfortable and Mascarell was controlling the midfield, slowed the play down and calmed everybody down, very Thorne esque in the way he plays which is a bonus, like to see him start at Charlton if he's fit enough, I have a funny feeling the whole teams performance will be much better

When he came on, hughes went off.

Because he doesn't boo his own players. Anyone who does is on the oppositions side from my perspective. But then maybe I'm just daft and loyal?

I've never quite understood people actively booing their own squad. We all show our frustrations with certain players at times, when a move breaks down and so on,

I personally am certainly not shy of praising the opposition at times for excellent play ... there are two teams on a football pitch when all is said and done ... but going in there from the outset to  unsettle our own lads is surely a tad negative.

On the Mascarell subject ... thoroughly pleased with what i am reading. Seems like once he is fully adapted, he will show that he is indeed a few classes above anyone in this league. 

Eases the pain of the loss of Thorne immensely.

I called for Omar to start the season in the CDM role. Everyone said Hughes as we can't drop neither of the 3. Not being funny but when have Hughes,Hendrick and Bryson worked together? Clough realised this and brought in Eustace so why have we gone back to the 3 which don't work?

Hughes looks decent there but something is not right if we start Omar there most likely well look our selfs again! Question is who do you drop... I say Bryson hasn't looked the same and I don't even realise he's playing any more!

Don't think Clough did realise that fact as he still played the three together all the time, it was McClaren who actually put Eustace on the pitch. In fairness, Hughes had done well in the earlier games in that role but was up against some very physical players on Saturday, with their 7ft striker dropping back into his territory to collect passes which he found too much of a man mountain to shake.

Why do you think you are better Derby fan than other Derby fans lol

I have never said that I am 'better than other Derby fans'.

Just better than you.

lol

Does anyone have a clip for those not able to get to Sheffield yesterday?

Can't clip it from Ramsplayer but if you have it it's at 40.45 in the 2nd half of the full 90. Dummies like he's going to jump for a bouncing ball, the Wednesday player charges in to nudge him off it, it loops over his head and Mascarell brings it down under no pressure. Was better at the time than it looks on there though.

Another tidy turn from him at 40.05 under pressure in our half. 

Don't think Clough did realise that fact as he still played the three together all the time, it was McClaren who actually put Eustace on the pitch.

I'm not quite sure where you got that from, Clough's last 4 games in charge all had a midfield 3 of Bryson, Hughes with Eustace in the holding role.

I'm not quite sure where you got that from, Clough's last 4 games in charge all had a midfield 3 of Bryson, Hughes with Eustace in the holding role.

That wasn't really by design by Clough though as Hendrick was injured, that's the only reason Eustace came in.  He didn't actually leave any of the other three out to accommodate Eustace as McClaren did in the long run.

Also re Saturdays match not sure of the exact timings but their 7ft striker who was dropping back into Wills territory also went off (slightly afterwards?) so in fairness that would have made things a little easier for Mascarell in that position than Hughes as I think he would have been bouncing off him too as most players in the division would to be fair!

I think people are being harsh on Hughes. Mascarell was clearly brought in with the intention of being first choice for that position but he needs time to settle. There's also zero chance of him playing 46 games, so we can't learn to rely on him. I approve of sticking Will Hughes in that position in the meantime, because he's going to have to play it at some point, whether it's his best position or not. And it's not like Eustace needs game time to learn it.

Watched the last 30 on RamsPlayer though - Omar looks like he's got something. And more than just a neat pass as well. He loves a 50/50 challenge, which surprised me.

Archived