Under 21s & Academy 14/15

-JW-

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and Coconut were there. We played ok. Thorne looked steady. I spoke to him after he came off (played 70 mins) he said he won't play for the first team till late Feb 

Cool! I think many have been saying Feb 21: Derby v Sheff Wed, cameo there i bet. How was his tackling? Any hard stuff?

Cool! I think many have been saying Feb 21: Derby v Sheff Wed, cameo there i bet. How was his tackling? Any hard stuff?

I get the impression that the Sheff Wed game may be pushing it, more likely the one after. No big tackles. His passing was good, but was off the pace as you'd expect.

I get the impression that the Sheff Wed game may be pushing it, more likely the one after. No big tackles. His passing was good, but was off the pace as you'd expect.

Okay. Wonder if they are having him stay away from the tackling at this point? Charlton at home is only 3 days later, so we are probably saying Fulham away then on the 28th.

Derby County U21 v Stoke U21 Quarter Final of Barclays U21 Cup

If the 7-1 victory against Stoke city last week was the Lord Mayor's Show then this was the Budget Leaving Dance. A fairly non-descript performance although everyone gave their best for the team. A relatively tired looking performance by both sides. George Thorne did 70 minutes without looking troubled. He made a couple of fairly strong tackles and sprayed a few good balls about. You would not have picked him out for the player he is tonight. He said that he had come through just fine. Nowhere near match fit and there is no hurry to get him back. a really fit player will just run past him at present. The recovery is coming on well. Stephen Warnock played the whole game and looked like a consummate professional throughout. I suspect that he was very surprised at the standard of some of Derby's players. He looks class to me. Seemed more of a stopper of attacks that a raider down the wing. You are not going to catch this player out of position in a hurry. He looks very fast and fit. He knows that he has to bide his time. if he gets in he will take some shifting. He is an old head with a great calmness on the ball.

Calero was taken off early and has gone for a Burton. Probably a month leading to end of season loan if he does well. Mason Bennett scored the winner which it look like the goalkeeper should have saved. From ten yards he miss hit it at the goalkeeper and it went under his body. If he had hit it harder, it probably would have been saved. Not one to show the goalkeeper's family on Boxing day. Callum Guy is developing into a very good player in my opinion. Roos looked as good as Grant with a couple of top class saves. Calero was running into traffic more than being incisive. The defence looks sound but they should have had a goal and same for us with a couple of chances being wasted. Bunjaku on for Thorne. Mason Bennett was kicked/overstretched his hamstring right at the end and was in pain. he was down for a couple of minutes. could be a naughty injury, hard to tell. So an economical win, a bit Cardifferous in fact. this team are hard to beat. I expect that some more will be going out on loan now from U21s and fringe of squad. The first team bench is staring to looked formidable after these new signings. Some players know that the writing is on the wall now. Getting on the bench looks difficult now. At the end of the day, we are in the semi finals of both competitions. A bit hectic in last ten minutes. Team to avoid in this one would appear to be Southampton who play on Thursday. Make no mistake, The rams want two Cups from this team this year.

Team Roos,Hendrie, Warnock, Thorne, Rawson, Hanson, Santos, Koblenz,, Bennett, Guy,, Calero. Subs - Sharpe for Bennett on 90, Mitchell, Bunjaku for Thorne on 70, McDonald, Thomas for Calero on 80ish

If the 7-1 victory against Stoke city last week was the Lord Mayor's Show then this was the Budget Leaving Dance. A fairly non-descript performance although everyone gave their best for the team. A relatively tired looking performance by both sides. George Thorne did 70 minutes without looking troubled. He made a couple of fairly strong tackles and sprayed a few good balls about. You would not have picked him out for the player he is tonight. He said that he had come through just fine. Nowhere near match fit and there is no hurry to get him back. a really fit player will just run past him at present. The recovery is coming on well. Stephen Warnock played the whole game and looked like a consummate professional throughout. I suspect that he was very surprised at the standard of some of Derby's players. He looks class to me. Seemed more of a stopper of attacks that a raider down the wing. You are not going to catch this player out of position in a hurry. He looks very fast and fit. He knows that he has to bide his time. if he gets in he will take some shifting. He is an old head with a great calmness on the ball.

Calero was taken off early and has gone for a Burton. Probably a month leading to end of season loan if he does well. Mason Bennett scored the winner which it look like the goalkeeper should have saved. From ten yards he miss hit it at the goalkeeper and it went under his body. If he had hit it harder, it probably would have been saved. Not one to show the goalkeeper's family on Boxing day. Callum Guy is developing into a very good player in my opinion. Roos looked as good as Grant with a couple of top class saves. Calero was running into traffic more than being incisive. The defence looks sound but they should have had a goal and same for us with a couple of chances being wasted. Bunjaku on for Thorne. Mason Bennett was kicked/overstretched his hamstring right at the end and was in pain. he was down for a couple of minutes. could be a naughty injury, hard to tell. So an economical win, a bit Cardifferous in fact. this team are hard to beat. I expect that some more will be going out on loan now from U21s and fringe of squad. The first team bench is staring to looked formidable after these new signings. Some players know that the writing is on the wall now. Getting on the bench looks difficult now. At the end of the day, we are in the semi finals of both competitions. A bit hectic in last ten minutes. Team to avoid in this one would appear to be Southampton who play on Thursday. Make no mistake, The rams want two Cups from this team this year.

Team Roos,Hendrie, Warnock, Thorne, Rawson, Hanson, Santos, Koblenz,, Bennett, Guy,, Calero. Subs - Sharpe for Bennett on 90, Mitchell, Bunjaku for Thorne on 70, McDonald, Thomas for Calero on 80ish

Thank You Rampage.

Rampage - Highlights are up. Hard to see everything with the camera being so far back, but who was the player who delivers the header at about 50 seconds of the clip? 

At the end of the day, we are in the semi finals of both competitions. A bit hectic in last ten minutes. Team to avoid in this one would appear to be Southampton who play on Thursday. Make no mistake, The rams want two Cups from this team this year.

Thanks, as ever. Really enjoy these reports. But I must be braindead this afternoon. This win takes us into the semifinals of the Premier League U21 Cup (I believe). What's this second cup we're apparently also after?

Cheers

Rawson. Okay. Well that was a bullet of a header, and even with the nice run up he got its rare to see an aerial strike that hard that high. I can see why he's captain if he plays the game with that much power. 

Archived