Celtic reinstated to Champions League

ramexpat

Wouldn't be the same as fielding an ineligible player, pretty sure you would just forfeit the game 3-0 tho.

That's what would make it interesting. As a team could force a forfeit by fielding an ineligible player "by accident" it could be used for tactical forfeits. From what I can tell there are provisions in place for them to just have dumped them from the competition if that was their decision, it's more of a coincidence that it just happens to be what Celtic needed.

Can you explain why the chairman has held up his hands, said my bad and the club are not appealing?

Also this isn't law, it's football and you register as a club to the rules set out by the governing bodies. All clubs will have copies of the rules for each competition. If they are unaware someone at the club is at fault, the chairman knows this as he's held his hands up.

I'm still hearing conflicting reports, but if they really are my guess would be the giant juggernaut standing over them. It's not worth fighting sometimes, even when you're right.

The last thing I heard was that they were going to appeal though, so I'd wait a day or two, or for an official statement from the club before saying they've given up.

You may have also noticed somewhere in there that what I was discussing was the nature of the punishment in terms of what the error was, making reference to the fact that it comes down to a small clerical error about his registration for the first tie. At no point did I say they deserve no punishment whatsoever, just that the punishment given is beyond excessive for the error.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously it was a genuine mistake - why else would they do it when the game was long decided.

I don't know why Legia aren't appealing, that's also pretty baffling considering how much money is potentially involved.

I followed Legia quite abit last season and they've got a decent team. You'd back them to make the Champions League group stages if given a nice playoff tie and there is a lot of money at stake in those rounds.

The Europa League doesn't compare so I'm really not sure why they aren't kicking up more of a fuss. If it was the other way round you could guarantee that Celtic would be complaining to the heavens over the decision.

I really would like an official source on Legia not appealing, because the closest thing I can find to any kind of source at the moment is that they are planning to appeal.

This, from their official site, seems to suggest that they are going to appeal, Daveo may have jumped the gun a bit

A shame they didn't win 5-1 in the home leg.

Again, if the decision was that the match was forfeit, in such a tie they would probably have knocked them out in any case, whether they won the first match 1-0 or 31-0. Not doing so allows for "tactical forfeits" and from what I can tell there are rules in place to prevents this.

Also worth again pointing out, that despite Daveo's comments to the contrary, Legia are appealing the decision.

I'd have thought that in attendance at all these games would be some kind UEFA official, whose job it is to point this stuff out.

Too obvious, I suppose.

Too expensive is more likely. Clubs should be able to do the paperwork themselves. With modern technology and database capabilities though referees should be provided with the ability for the fourth official to check availability for such competitions before kickoff. Whilst punishing teams for mistakes is something that can be done, these kinds of situations end up looking bad for all involved.

Further research is suggesting that the lad couldn't have been a List B player last season either (not at the club long enough), which throws further questions out of how on Earth they could have messed this up in the first place. If they hadn't left a place in the squad for him for the St Pats game, then they probably don't have anything to even argue for an appeal, as they should have been aware that he needed to be registered to serve the ban. Unless for some other reason he was meant to be registered, but somehow ended up not being, there's not a whole lot to defend in that respect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28732601

Legia Warsaw have issued an open letter to Celtic requesting a one-off match to decide which side should progress to the Champions League play-off round.

The Polish side beat the Scottish champions 6-1 on aggregate in the third qualifying round.

However, Legia were then punished by Uefa for fielding the ineligible Bartosz Bereszynski in the second leg.

Reinstated Celtic were drawn to face Maribor in the play-off but Legia want another chance to reach that stage.

"Meet in Warsaw or in Glasgow and let's settle this matter honourably," wrote Legia co-owner Dariusz Mioduski in the letter.

Mioduski praised the stature of both clubs and describes Uefa's punishment as "deeply unjust and contrary to the spirit of fair play".

Lol, so rather than appeal to UEFA they are chasing after Celtic "to do the honourable thing"

Erm, Celtic don't make the rules so even if they agree UEFA can just say no.

Nice try Warsaw, enjoy the Europa League....don't forget to register your players this time

managers fault?

player suspended?

lets bring him on for the last few minutes?

I dont see the problem with the punishment. Dont bring on your suspended player?

More complicated than that, as they thought he had served his suspension. It wasn't the manager's fault

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28732601

Legia Warsaw have issued an open letter to Celtic requesting a one-off match to decide which side should progress to the Champions League play-off round.

The Polish side beat the Scottish champions 6-1 on aggregate in the third qualifying round.

However, Legia were then punished by Uefa for fielding the ineligible Bartosz Bereszynski in the second leg.

Reinstated Celtic were drawn to face Maribor in the play-off but Legia want another chance to reach that stage.

"Meet in Warsaw or in Glasgow and let's settle this matter honourably," wrote Legia co-owner Dariusz Mioduski in the letter.

Mioduski praised the stature of both clubs and describes Uefa's punishment as "deeply unjust and contrary to the spirit of fair play".

Oh dear...

If they feel they have grounds for an appeal, they should appeal, but Celtic, like most clubs, aren't likely to relinquish their Champions League place for honour.

There surely will be some red faces for them walking out onto the pitch in the next match though.

A chant along the lines of "We shouldn't be here, but at least we can fill out the paperwork" would be a laugh though.

I wonder if their original comments about them planning to appeal are still accurate. It seems odd for a club to say that they'll appeal the decision, then offer up a rematch as a solution. Sounds more like they're giving up and just hoping they can question Celtic's honour enough to force a rematch.

Further research into the situation though, and it seems, as previously mentioned that the player wasn't even List B last season, so that thought on how this occurred is out. A backroom error really shouldn't overrule football for such a pointless moment in a tie, and surely there's a more appropriate punishment.

managers fault?

player suspended?

lets bring him on for the last few minutes?

I dont see the problem with the punishment. Dont bring on your suspended player?

The manager didn't know he was suspended as he'd spent the required 3 matches on the sidelines. Someone, somewhere in the club did make a boo boo however.

This whole situation is just disappointing as a whole. Hopefully Legia just shut up about it though. They should either appeal or stop whinging. If Celtic decided to resign from the competition to allow them to stay in, that would be impressive from them, but that's not a reasonable expectation for any business.

Speaking of class though, the comments made seemingly by Legia about Celtic "dodging" calls, and such are tactless. Whatever error occurred, it was still one within Legia. Whether or not the punishment is justified they really shouldn't be taking their frustration out on Celtic. It's not their fault someone in their backroom made an error.

While they're offering rematches and such though, he's an offer they could try:

- The rematch would be played in Glasgow

- All match costs paid by Legia

- All proceeds from the match to Celtic

If they win:

- Gate receipts and prize money from playing in the playoff round to Celtic

- All money from reaching the group stage of the Champions League, if applicable, to Celtic

- If they instead qualify for the Europa League and Celtic fail to, then all money from the Europa League group stage to Celtic

That would allow Celtic to show their class without damaging the business side of the club, and it would show people Legia are just interested in class, not the huge potential payday may have lost out on.

If Legia Warsaw deserve another crack, then so do Blackpool against Forest.

After all, it was an internal administrative error that meant that a number of their new signings weren't registered in time.

If Legia Warsaw deserve another crack, then so do Blackpool against Forest.

After all, it was an internal administrative error that meant that a number of their new signings weren't registered in time.

Legia won 6-1, Blackpool lost 2-0. If Blackpool had won they wouldn't have been stripped of the result either. There's a big difference between a club actually not signing players up, giving contracts out and someone in the backroom forgetting to register a player correctly.

There is literally no similarities between the two in fact.

Legia won 6-1, Blackpool lost 2-0. If Blackpool had won they wouldn't have been stripped of the result either. There's a big difference between a club actually not signing players up, giving contracts out and someone in the backroom forgetting to register a player correctly.

There is literally no similarities between the two in fact.

I see that 'sense of humour' is alive and well and living in the antipodes.

Archived