Celtic reinstated to Champions League

ramexpat

That's because it is massively simple, after doing some more reading they wasn't just thrown out.

Warsaw played a banned player.

UEFA rules state that if you play a banned player you forfeit the game and the opposition are awarded a 3-0 win.

This made score 4-4.

Celtic go through on away goals.

We can sit here and argue the intent, how harsh it is, UEFA's motives, make excuses etc. but the simple fact is rules were broken and the penalty has been enforced. Nice to see UEFA sticking to the rules otherwise what's the point in having them.

Nice way to completely sidestep and ignore the exact point raised about the suspension itself. You literally didn't even reference that point, you just ignored it, so let's repeat this:

The big question mark is on whether Legia knew he was supposed to be suspended still, as he had, to them, served his 3 match ban. The issue was that it was "not registered" which appears to be a clerical mistake, which may have been caused by him needing to be listed as a List A player for this season, when he was eligible as a List B player last time around. Being "not registered" there would mean that the first two games were not counted towards the suspension, but this is what I'm trying to investigate, whether it was a case that he was registered as a List B player, but simply didn't count as he had ticked over the age requirement, or if someone simply forgot him because of the suspension. If there is an appeal lodged, this is what I would expect it would be based on from what I can tell, but I still need to do some more research. Strangely enough not speaking Polish it's hard to get a lot of the information.

In any case you can't call an issue simple when you don't even address it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here's a thought...

Win first leg 4-0, deliberately field a banned player in the 2nd leg to forfeit the game 3-0. Go through anyway.

Rules are rules so they wouldn't be able to do anything about it?

Forfeit results can be adjusted if they allow such favorable results from what I recall. It's the same kind of thing as forfeiting once goal number 4 goes in to avoid a bigger loss.

That said of course, I'm pretty sure there's massive commercial contracts and competition fines to think about as well.

Nice way to completely sidestep and ignore the exact point raised about the suspension itself. You literally didn't even reference that point, you just ignored it, so let's repeat this:The big question mark is on whether Legia knew he was supposed to be suspended still, as he had, to them, served his 3 match ban. The issue was that it was "not registered" which appears to be a clerical mistake, which may have been caused by him needing to be listed as a List A player for this season, when he was eligible as a List B player last time around. Being "not registered" there would mean that the first two games were not counted towards the suspension, but this is what I'm trying to investigate, whether it was a case that he was registered as a List B player, but simply didn't count as he had ticked over the age requirement, or if someone simply forgot him because of the suspension. If there is an appeal lodged, this is what I would expect it would be based on from what I can tell, but I still need to do some more research. Strangely enough not speaking Polish it's hard to get a lot of the information.In any case you can't call an issue simple when you don't even address it.

I sidestepped and ignored your excuses for them, you can repeat them as many times as you like but don't expect me to read them :)

I sidestepped and ignored your excuses for them, you can repeat them as many times as you like but don't expect me to read them :)

So you're confirming that you're not interested in what actually happened, just the result?

Failing to analyse what has happened, understand the circumstances and use such information to build for the future is a very shortsighted way of dealing with things.

So you're confirming that you're not interested in what actually happened, just the result?Failing to analyse what has happened, understand the circumstances and use such information to build for the future is a very shortsighted way of dealing with things.

I know what actually happened, Warsaw fielded a banned player, they forfeit the game 3-0, Celtic went through on the away goal rule. Warsaw have accepted they made a mistake and are not appealing it, instead focusing on the Europa League.

What's to analyse? You're trying to come up with any excuse whilst the actual club that have lost out have accepted it and moved on.

Let's analyse why they won't appeal it if you want?

I know what actually happened, Warsaw fielded a banned player, they forfeit the game 3-0, Celtic went through on the away goal rule. Warsaw have accepted they made a mistake and are not appealing it, instead focusing on the Europa League.

What's to analyse? You're trying to come up with any excuse whilst the actual club that have lost out have accepted it and moved on.

Let's analyse why they won't appeal it if you want?

I'm hearing conflicting reports about them appealing or not at this point, I'd wait to see on that front. The media seems to be saying that the club has at least asked for clarification.

It's not about excuses, it's about what actually happened here. It's all well and good to say "they done a boo boo", but why did that happen, how did that happen?

He came on at a time that there was nothing that could change the result, it was as over as you're likely to get. So you can't say that they did it for any tactical reason on the game, but of course - This is irrelevant to any point made about this.

The next thought then goes to why the club wouldn't realise he was suspended. Well, he did not play in the last 3 matches, so it would be reasonable to assume that he had "served his ban" from the fans side. But it appears he wasn't registered in the squad for those first 2 games, but the manager must have thought he was, or that it didn't matter, this goes to two points:

1. The manager didn't know that he needed to be registered

2. He was meant to be registered and something else happened

If it was (1), serious questions must be asked. But there are suggestions, and it seems quite reasonable that the issue was in fact 2.

The player in question was eligible to be listed as a List B player last year, that is, a player who was outside the 25 man competition squad, but eligible for being born after 1-1-92. The problem arises that he was born in 92, and so for this year's Champions League, he would have needed to be registered as a List A player (that is, in the 25 man squad) to be eligible for those games and as such serve his ban.

From here it seems quite reasonable that a mistake may have been made here, with them possible submitting their squad to UEFA with him still listed as a List B player, despite not being eligible, which in turn would have meant he couldn't serve his suspension. If he wasn't in immediate sight (as in, not going to play in those games), it would be quite simple for such an error to occur for a smaller club (Europe wise,they are a big club in Poland) with that being the first squad to need him listed. If the squads forms were done by someone in the backroom too, you never know what may have happened.

The point is that it is a ridiculous punish for what could be such a small paper work error. It's not a case of them being told: "He's actually suspended guys", they probably though that he was eligible and this is a case of coming in after the fact and seeing these issues. In such a case the issue, if the above were true (this is quite hard to check, there is some confusion about if he was registered or not, but UEFA has him down as not from what I can tell) then they were literally dumped from Europe for failing to change a players registration from List B to List A between seasons.

I've seen all that before Albert, it's excuses and it's for an internal enquiry at the club, I can't say what, why and who's fault it is, I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors at Warsaw. From what I can see the chairman has accepted they have made a mistake, he's also tweeted saying "I failed", can't honestly see why you are trying to defend the club that have held their hands up to it and are not looking to make excuses.

I've seen all that before Albert, it's excuses and it's for an internal enquiry at the club, I can't say what, why and who's fault it is, I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors at Warsaw. From what I can see the chairman has accepted they have made a mistake, he's also tweeted saying "I failed", can't honestly see why you are trying to defend the club that have held their hands up to it and are not looking to make excuses.

I'm defending them because I've always been one of sense before paper work and in this case it seems to have been exactly that. The idea that a mistake that may have been made by someone behind the scenes has cost a team a 6-1 aggregate victory is bizarre. It's all well and good to hide behind this year's regulations, but that is no excuse for football coming after the paperwork.

I'm defending them because I've always been one of sense before paper work and in this case it seems to have been exactly that. The idea that a mistake that may have been made by someone behind the scenes has cost a team a 6-1 aggregate victory is bizarre. It's all well and good to hide behind this year's regulations, but that is no excuse for football coming after the paperwork.

I need to ask, what are your thoughts on Celtic as a club? I know there is a lot of hatred for Celtic on here, just wondering if this is playing a part that's all.

Also if the same situation came up, Derby instead of Celtic, would you still be defending Warsaw or applauding UEFA for following the rules?

I need to ask, what are your thoughts on Celtic as a club? I know there is a lot of hatred for Celtic on here, just wondering if this is playing a part that's all.

Also if the same situation came up, Derby instead of Celtic, would you still be defending Warsaw or applauding UEFA for following the rules?

I quite like Celtic as a club to be honest, certainly more than Rangers, but overall not really that bothered.

This is entirely about a team having won 6-1 being knocked out of a competition over paperwork. Fines, huge fines even, are there for this kind of mistake. Punishing the players and the fans, to whom this would be a true low point for their club, for something so trivial to me is just disgusting and anti-football.

I really wish it weren't Celtic involved here, because enough people have enough strong opinions about them that arguments tend to lose the meaning that they hold and just become about which club was involved.

If it were Derby that were saved by this, I'd boycott Europe for the season, and I'd refuse to acknowledge anything that happened, and would write to the club to ask them to appeal to UEFA on the club that was knocked out's behalf. This would be both due to the above, and due to the shame that would be attached to any achievements beyond that point.

There are situations where teams are suspended in such circumstances where they do deserve it, but this wasn't one of them, it's a sad day for football, even if ultimately the mistake was Legia's. It's just devastating that UEFA can't sort another, more fitting punishment for the error.

Archived