Celtic reinstated to Champions League

ramexpat

The situation isn't complexed at all. They fielded an ineligible player, according to UEFA rules they have been thrown out the competition.

They will appeal, the appeal will be rejected and the competition goes on.

Crime against the sport? Give over, it will be a crime if they win the appeal and are reinstated. No point in having rules if they are not enforced.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No point having rules if they are not consistent. 

The second post in this thread gives the example of Debrechen doing exactly the same thing yet only being fined.

Given the result over the two legs I hope Warsaw's appeal is successful.

The situation isn't complexed at all. They fielded an ineligible player, according to UEFA rules they have been thrown out the competition.

Crime against the sport? Give over, it will be a crime if they win the appeal and are reinstated. No point in having rules if they are not enforced.

The problem isn't following the rules as such, it's that they only follow the rules when it suits them.

In regards to the Debrecen case, Uefa ruled that Debrecen had "no interest in fielding this player for the three last minutes of additional time, when the score was so clearly in its favour". The only difference in the cases is a confusing change in the rules. Uefa are clearly just applying the rules to fit their own agenda, and that's what is unfair. 

Quick search, Debrechen case was different as they played a unregistered player, Warsaw played a banned player. Different rules.

As Albert explained, the Warsaw player was only still suspended because of a change in rules. He had a three game ban and this was the fourth game of the campaign. In previous years, they wouldn't have had to register him to serve his suspension. 

As Albert explained, the Warsaw player was only still suspended because of a change in rules. He had a three game ban and this was the fourth game of the campaign. In previous years, they wouldn't have had to register him to serve his suspension.

Albert made an excuse for them but they still played a banned player and rules are rules.

If UEFA let them off what's to stop another club playing the blonde...oh I'm sorry Mr UEFA man whilst fluttering their eyelashes

They had no intent of breaking the rules (this is clear, as they left the player out of the squad for the first three qualification legs).

If this was an English law case that reason alone would be an adequate defence.

It's never as simple as "rules are rules".

Albert made an excuse for them but they still played a banned player and rules are rules.

If UEFA let them off what's to stop another club playing the blonde...oh I'm sorry Mr UEFA man whilst fluttering their eyelashes

Legia have the excuse that the rule is new and pretty confusing. Other teams wouldn't have that excuse as they will all be aware of it now.

Uefa want Celtic in the champions league, it's as simple as that. As someone said earlier, if it was Legia vs HJK Helsinki (or equivalent) then Legia would merely have been fined. 

Quick search, Debrechen case was different as they played a unregistered player, Warsaw played a banned player. Different rules.

Bah, I'm wrong again....I will change my title with immediate effect.

*Thanks for pointing out the difference though, I was led to believe the cases were identical.

I feel for Legia's players. They have good team with some very potential players. And they almost had a chance to show it in CL, get move to bigger clubs etc.. Shame  really.

It's not over yet, they can still appeal from what I can tell. It may be a case of playing it by the book to start, then let the appeal deal with the complexity of the issue. Doubt it, but you never know, they have an appeals process for a reason.

Legia have the excuse that the rule is new and pretty confusing. Other teams wouldn't have that excuse as they will all be aware of it now.

Uefa want Celtic in the champions league, it's as simple as that. As someone said earlier, if it was Legia vs HJK Helsinki (or equivalent) then Legia would merely have been fined.

If the rule is new all clubs entering the competition would be aware of it. No excuse at all. Someone has cocked up and they are out of the competition.

I don't see it as UEFA wanting Celtic in at all, Celtic fans have been a pain in the arse for UEFA, this would be the ideal opportunity to say **** Celtic.

"http://www.footballfansonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/fuckuefa" alt="fuckuefa">

If the rule is new all clubs entering the competition would be aware of it. No excuse at all. Someone has cocked up and they are out of the competition.

I don't see it as UEFA wanting Celtic in at all, Celtic fans have been a pain in the arse for UEFA, this would be the ideal opportunity to say **** Celtic.

"http://www.footballfansonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/fuckuefa" alt="fuckuefa">

Uefa don't care about spiting people, they care about money.

Celtic probably had this in the pipeline from the 1st minute, praying that Legia brought him on.

It's a disgraceful decision, I expected a fine but nothing more. A real shame if it isn't overturned again.

Imagine a scenario where Derby winning 6-2 against Brighton, bringing Bamford on for the final 2 minutes and then finding out his loan expired the day before. Derby are kicked out of the play-offs and Brighton go to Wembley.

That's a massively simplistic view of it though. To their knowledge, as it was at the time the player had served his ban and was eligible. From what I can tell it was a behind the scenes clerical error that lead to him not being registered, and it's even quite an understandable mistake considering he could have been listed as a List B player last season, but had to be a List A one here.

The rules are there as a coverall to make sure that it's simple to administer, but to literally toss aside a resounding result because a box wasn't checked correctly is an issue with the checkbox, not the result.

We can but hope Legia are reinstated and Celtic are saved the blushes of this all.

The cases are more similar than they appear. If the player was registered as he was supposed to be in the first place he was to be eligible. I'm currently chasing down something about this point though. There seems to be the possibility that he was actually listed, but as a List B player, which he was no longer eligible for as he was over age, this in turn meant that he had to be listed as a List A player at the next opportunity. If that is the case it was a paper work error and one the manager may not even have been informed of.

Celtic probably had this in the pipeline from the 1st minute, praying that Legia brought him on.

It's a disgraceful decision, I expected a fine but nothing more. A real shame if it isn't overturned again.

Imagine a scenario where Derby winning 6-2 against Brighton, bringing Bamford on for the final 2 minutes and then finding out his loan expired the day before. Derby are kicked out of the play-offs and Brighton go to Wembley.

Finding out that as the paperwork was filed at 11:00 in the morning on a particular day that his loan official made and as such expired the morning of the match. Imagine that! Better yet, he was to be eligible, but a cock up between British Summer time and UTC. That would be an interesting event.

I've seen similar paper work issues elsewhere in the World as well, but there they aren't ruled by the formatting margins and these things can actually be dealt with in a reasonable manner. If they did it with some malicious motive it would be understandable, but they literally fielder a young fullback in the final minutes in a 6-1 (on aggregate) who due to an apparent paperwork issue was still suspended. Madness.

That's a massively simplistic view of it though

That's because it is massively simple, after doing some more reading they wasn't just thrown out.

Warsaw played a banned player.

UEFA rules state that if you play a banned player you forfeit the game and the opposition are awarded a 3-0 win.

This made score 4-4.

Celtic go through on away goals.

We can sit here and argue the intent, how harsh it is, UEFA's motives, make excuses etc. but the simple fact is rules were broken and the penalty has been enforced. Nice to see UEFA sticking to the rules otherwise what's the point in having them.

Just seen the statement from Warsaw, guess what?....they are not making excuses, they accept it and vow never to make the same mistake again. Looks like they won't appeal it either, fair play to them, would be easy to make excuses, could have got Albert to write a few up for them.

We won two matches with the class, a European team. We won probably, in style, on the field, in combat sports. But we made paperwork bug that this year we lost the chance to play in the coveted Champions League. The error that should not happen.

Although the punishment is disproportionate and it is difficult to reconcile with her, now the more we have to show that this club has great character, he is invincible.

We showed that we can play football at a good European level. That change for the better. Our players and coaching staff did not disappoint. We're going in the right direction and show it, fighting for the Europa League and defending Champion Polish.

As an organization we have a job to support our players and fans. Today we have to apologize and ask for it at the same time we were together. This team deserves it. I know that when ?azienkowska working people who are wholeheartedly committed to the Legion.

Although today sport lost behind closed doors promise that never again will not make that mistake. We fight on. In this year of the European League. The future of the Champions League. "

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://legia.com/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dlegia%2Bwarsaw%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DX%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D671

Archived