Mirror: Liverpool first option to sign Hughes, eyed as long term Gerrard successor

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me just check the squad list......no.

But it's the story the DET, BBC and Sky are also running now. If either of those 3 had written the article above would you be so quick to dismiss it?

All media outlets get some right and a lot wrong, this could be another right one, we'll wait and see

Not worried in the slightest whether it's true or not. Or Liverpool have is first refusal if/when WE decide to sell him. Not when someone else decides to buy him...

I'd rather he goes to them than the Manchester clubs or Chelski anyway

So would I - Liverpool or Arsenal. At least they do play youngsters.

We should take a leaf out of Alex Fergusons book and now bow to pressure and sell our best assets. Will Hughes is at good as it gets, excellent player and I'm sure Steve will want to keep the nuclease of this squad and win promotion. We can build and lets not forget Will is only 18 years old and the first name on the team sheet.

We let Huddlestone go for nothing lets not make the same mistake again...

Will is a good player for his age but at the games i have seen him play this season, he has shown nowhere near the quality that he did at the beginning of last season. Teams are aware of the threat he poses now and he has been struggling with the physicality of the league this season.

He looks a bit stronger but his game hasn't really improved to be honest so i'm struggling to see what all of the fuss is about, or why his price tag has doubled...

This deal doesn't harm us in the slightest. It means if we decide to sell they get first offer. Which means we tell them we want to sell and then reject thier first offer - generate a bidding war

or a team wants him offer us a price that we ate willing to sell at - we then tell Liverpool "X" have offered us £y millions will you match it.

Will is a good player for his age but at the games i have seen him play this season, he has shown nowhere near the quality that he did at the beginning of last season. Teams are aware of the threat he poses now and he has been struggling with the physicality of the league this season.

He looks a bit stronger but his game hasn't really improved to be honest so i'm struggling to see what all of the fuss is about, or why his price tag has doubled...

And I think this is likely the reason why despite all of the rumours, despite all of the numerous transfer threads on here about the player and despite all of his supposed talent.................there has yet to be a single concrete bid for him. Not one manager is willing to take the gamble on this kid and why would they.

I've only watched about a dozen or so games over the last year but I've only seen him stand out in one of those games.

The Championship is his current level. He isn't good enough to play at a higher level yet. He might be in the future but again.....it's only a maybe. His ludicrous valuation is merely because of his nationality.

I still say we should take any offers of 6M with maybe an extra 4M based on appearances and future International appearances. Invest that into our side and develop this team further. Who knows......next season, we may just have a squad that can rival something like what Leicester have at the minute. Just have a look at their squad. It's packed with quality.

And I think this is likely the reason why despite all of the rumours, despite all of the numerous transfer threads on here about the player and despite all of his supposed talent.................there has yet to be a single concrete bid for him. Not one manager is willing to take the gamble on this kid and why would they.

I've only watched about a dozen or so games over the last year but I've only seen him stand out in one of those games.

The Championship is his current level. He isn't good enough to play at a higher level yet. He might be in the future but again.....it's only a maybe. His ludicrous valuation is merely because of his nationality.

I still say we should take any offers of 6M with maybe an extra 4M based on appearances and future International appearances. Invest that into our side and develop this team further. Who knows......next season, we may just have a squad that can rival something like what Leicester have at the minute. Just have a look at their squad. It's packed with quality.

I agree, the best game i have seen him play was against Leeds at home last season, where he was brilliant from start to finish.

We have seen glimpses of class at times this season, but he isn't the reason we are doing so well at the moment.

I actually think Hughes has been better this season than last. 

Last season we saw more of the fancy flicks and flair side of his game whereas this season, we've seen less of that. However, this season he has played a pivotal role in creating the fluid football we have been playing recently. He may be doing less fancy stuff but more chances are being created and he is nearly always involved. Just look at the Charlton match to see what we were lacking football-wise, our only game recently without Hughes.

I actually think Hughes has been better this season than last. 

Last season we saw more of the fancy flicks and flair side of his game whereas this season, we've seen less of that. However, this season he has played a pivotal role in creating the fluid football we have been playing recently. He may be doing less fancy stuff but more chances are being created and he is nearly always involved. Just look at the Charlton match to see what we were lacking football-wise, our only game recently without Hughes.

Stats also back up the fact that he makes more tackles per match than anyone in the team - says something for a midfielder who isn't associated with defensive work.

I think Hughes wins the ball a lot from just nicking the ball in front of players as he probably reads it quicker than most. I also think he his role is understated, he links the play between the back 4 and attacking players, he is clearly a talented young player and people are so quick to knock.

Archived