Mirror: Liverpool first option to sign Hughes, eyed as long term Gerrard successor

North_Stand_Ram

For me, under Cloughy, we became too reliant on everything going through Hughes and him pulling the strings - which showed what he can do.  He's now being far more effective as part of a team unit where he is one of many who can cause problems.  He probably doesn't get to be involved as much, but is able to be more effective with what he does deliver.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think Hughes has been better this season than last. 

Last season we saw more of the fancy flicks and flair side of his game whereas this season, we've seen less of that. However, this season he has played a pivotal role in creating the fluid football we have been playing recently. He may be doing less fancy stuff but more chances are being created and he is nearly always involved. Just look at the Charlton match to see what we were lacking football-wise, our only game recently without Hughes.

couldnt have said it better myself you the problem is when he makes a mistake nobody remembers the simple but opening pass he did 5/10/15 mins before..

There is too much pressure for a leeds performance every game, (I must admit the leeds game was the first time I was gobsmacked by him)

I think he's brilliant. We couldn't replace him without going out and buying someone. Nobody uses the ball so intelligently. Before he came along we were powderpuff in midfield and a string of passes would break down as we were 'squeezed'.

More often than not you can't squeeze Hughes. He thinks too fast and his passing never puts someone under pressure because he has such a good picture of the game.

All he needs to do is do what he does EVERY game and EVERY time he touches the ball. Become a 90+% passer instead of an 80+%.

Could perhaps get forward more and use what he has higher up but at this moment in time we need him linking everything up.

Mirror must love our William

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-hughes-going-2989618

Liverpool target Will Hughes is going nowhere, says Derby chief executive Sam Rush

05 January 2014 12:14 AM By Janine Self

Rush said: "Will is best placed in Derby. There is a huge amount for him to achieve here."

Going nowhere: Derby's Will Hughes is staying put

Derby chief executive Sam Rush has reassured worried fans that star midfielder Will Hughes is going nowhere, writes Janine Self in the Sunday People.

Rams supporters fear that Steve McClaren's January recruitment drive could be financed by the sale of England Under-21 star Hughes.

The 19-year-old has attracted attention from all over the Premier League and will today lock horns in midfield with the likes of Oscar, Eden Hazard and Willian when Chelsea vist.

But Rush said: "Will is best placed in Derby.

"There is a huge amount for him to achieve here and I don't feel commercially it is the right time for us to entertain any other discussions.

"You look at a variety of factors when you make a decision.

"Is it right for the player?

"Has he already maximised his contribution to the club – is there any more he can do for us?

"And is he at the height of his potential in income you can generate?

"The answer to all three is ‘no’.

"There have been few bigger investors in the Championship than our owners.

"I expect they will put their hands in their pockets once again."

Rush said

"You look at a variety of factors when you make a decision.

"Is it right for the player?

"Has he already maximised his contribution to the club – is there any more he can do for us?

"And is he at the height of his potential in income you can generate?

"The answer to all three is ‘no’.

I like that.

Will he stick to it though.

Archived