Burton Albion v Derby County

mozza

First post on here, in the car on the way back home, was a bit flat all game really and we never really got our passing going and kept giving it away sloppily. Keogh had a few shaky moments again but we were mostly comfortable aside from their RW getting behind Forsyth in the 1st half a few times. Ward blew hot and cold whilst Russell flitered in and out and we struggled to get Martin involved due to the poor quality of balls in to him ( though when we did he made good lay offs and passes as usual. Still only preseason and we won and created enough chances to win by more despite a 6/10 performance in my book.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First post on here, in the car on the way back home, was a bit flat all game really and we never really got our passing going and kept giving it away sloppily. Keogh had a few shaky moments again but we were mostly comfortable aside from their RW getting behind Forsyth in the 1st half a few times. Ward blew hot and cold whilst Russell flitered in and out and we struggled to get Martin involved due to the poor quality of balls in to him ( though when we did he made good lay offs and passes as usual. Still only preseason and we won and created enough chances to win by more despite a 6/10 performance in my book.

Yeah, it is just the preseason and I feel confident that we will be just fine for Rangers Saturday and for Rotherham as well.

went tonight, my verdict - ill start with the positives 

If Russell can last the season he will be one of our most valuable assests, looked quality tonight

Hendricks a f*****g machine! that is all 

Martins looking alot sharper as the games go on 

Bryson full of running

Bucko's 40 yard pingers are back with a vengeance, lovely ball second half 

all in all good win, good workout 

The negatives - 

the Cov fans were correct, Christie cant defend . . . and it scares me, good going forward but no positional awareness at the back, we haven't got time to coach people how to defend this season we need people to hit the ground running, i know its only pre season blah blah but he's not going to learn how to defend between now and Rotherham, is he, i miss Wisdom 

I know we use him as a bit of a scapegoat now but after watching him in the flesh, Keogh is f*****g garbage! Wembleys triggered an off switch in his brain, he's absolutely devoid of any confidence what so ever, he looks frightened to death every time he gets the ball. He made 2 - 3 silly mistakes again tonight being caught out in possession doing that stupid holdup twirl thing he does, if he does that against rotherham, or anyone in the champ for that matter, we're in trouble! he's worrying me a lot 

Hughes is wasted as a CDM, he cant play it, he keeps getting barged off the ball when his backs to goal and people come bearing down on him, he's much much better playing in the hole

We dont look very fit still, players blowing out of their arses after 50 minutes, have to say that Burton looked much fitter. 

for me personally, we need another RB whilst Christie develops, Keogh needs a slap and some therapy to get him over Wembley, we need to solve the CDM problem with a player who plays there naturally, loan perhaps? 

Just got in from the game (I only live round the corner). Usual pre season friendly slow pace to the game. Some good bits of play.

Pros: Ward looked lively, Russell played well when he got in the game - look forward to seeing him when the competitive games start, Christie looked comfortable, looks like he can beat the full back every now and then. Buxton as solid as ever.

Cons: Both Eustace and Hughes didn't have much of an impact in CDM, Keogh looked shaky on the ball, but fine off the ball.

I don't even know about Hughes at CDM anymore. I'm sure he could do an adequate job there but it just feels like he'd be wasted there.

He controlled the entire second half, although my MoM over the full 90 was Hendrick.

Dull game, played at no more than 75-80 per cent pace, controlled it without ever having to do too much, apart from the goal we hit the woodwork three times and missed a couple of other chances, while Granty had a couple of saves to make.

Christie looks strong and athletic, went well forward but looked uncertain once he got into a crossing position, good running from ward, Hendrick and Russell, Martin looked unbothered and out of sorts until he started getting angry towards the end, after which his game picked up. Keogh gave possession away far too often, while Bucko and Fozzie did their usual.

Dull game, played at no more than 75-80 per cent pace, controlled it without ever having to do too much, apart from the goal we hit the woodwork three times and missed a couple of other chances, while Granty had a couple of saves to make.

Christie looks strong and athletic, went well forward but looked uncertain once he got into a crossing position, good running from ward, Hendrick and Russell, Martin looked unbothered and out of sorts until he started getting angry towards the end, after which his game picked up. Keogh gave possession away far too often, while Bucko and Fozzie did their usual.

Probably about fair. How Russell didn't score I don't know.

Think it may take getting used to having another Forsyth, if you like, on the right. Both for us fans and the winger infront. Will have to do more covering than previously. He looks a good prospect though.

Back from the game. Pretty underwhelming first half performance. McClaren's tactical tweaks fell flat on their arse before we switched back to the 4-3-3 that served us so well last season. The narrow diamond in midfield was terrible and exposed the defence and Eustace far too much and a side with better quality would have picked us off. We looked a lot better when we went back to 4-3-3 towards the end of the first half.

Russell looked sharpest of all and his diagonal runs caused their defence problems. If he can stay injury free throughout the season then there's no reason why he can't score 15 goals.

Martin played well and his link up play was good.

The CDM role is a tough one. Eustace didn't play particularly well but he was exposed for the first 30 because of the bizarre formation SMC tried. Perhaps for away matches Eustace would be better suited. Hughes played relatively well when he came on in the second half. The tempo was better and there was more of a pattern to the play compared to the first half (again this has something to do with the formation). I'd expect him to start against Rotherham.

I wasn't overly convinced with Christie. He was ok going forward and ok defensively. There's certainly enough there for SMC to work with in terms of improvement, just look at how much Forsyth came on in the second half of last season.

Overall, it was good to get a win and 90 minutes under the belt for the side. Hopefully with another weeks training we'll be firing for Rotherham, I'm sure the iPro will be bouncing which will only help. UTR.

Back from the game. Pretty underwhelming first half performance. McClaren's tactical tweaks fell flat on their arse before we switched back to the 4-3-3 that served us so well last season. The narrow diamond in midfield was terrible and exposed the defence and Eustace far too much and a side with better quality would have picked us off. We looked a lot better when we went back to 4-3-3 towards the end of the first half.

Russell looked sharpest of all and his diagonal runs caused their defence problems. If he can stay injury free throughout the season then there's no reason why he can't score 15 goals.

Martin played well and his link up play was good.

The CDM role is a tough one. Eustace didn't play particularly well but he was exposed for the first 30 because of the bizarre formation SMC tried. Perhaps for away matches Eustace would be better suited. Hughes played relatively well when he came on in the second half. The tempo was better and there was more of a pattern to the play compared to the first half (again this has something to do with the formation). I'd expect him to start against Rotherham.

I wasn't overly convinced with Christie. He was ok going forward and ok defensively. There's certainly enough there for SMC to work with in terms of improvement, just look at how much Forsyth came on in the second half of last season.

Overall, it was good to get a win and 90 minutes under the belt for the side. Hopefully with another weeks training we'll be firing for Rotherham, I'm sure the iPro will be bouncing which will only help. UTR.

Funny how people see the game differently. I thought Martin was pretty poor. He's got too comfortable knowing he's got no competition. He doesn't need cover, he needs challenging.

Bryson didn't really stand out either.

First half was dreadful. If Burton could finish they would've had a couple.

Second half was better. Quicker tempo. Ward, Hendrick & especially Russell were much better. Hughes did well.

Defence still concerns me slightly.

Expect Rangers game to be a better game.

Archived