Burton Albion v Derby County

mozza

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We dont look very fit still, players blowing out of their arses after 50 minutes, have to say that Burton looked much fitter. 

It's been said quite a few times that we're sending players into games tired to get them used to that situation. Don't worry about the fitness - after this preseason, they'll be fit enough.

A win's a win, no matter where and no matter against whom.

That's a quote form that great footballing mind. Steve Brummie.

Wouldn't have minded going to this one really!

Are they playing any in my neck of the woods?

Against the Baggies @ the Hawthorns frinstance.

i didn't see you. I had a good look at half time with the smokers.

I had a smoke at half time, but I never saw a blue person wearing bandages.

Eddie, what is your view of Christie? How badly are we going to miss Wisdom?

Christie going forward is better than Brayford.

Christie defending - the best thing I can say is that he was better than Fozzy tonight.

Christie going forward is better than Brayford.

Christie defending - the best thing I can say is that he was better than Fozzy tonight.

With two attacking full backs and Keogh looking a bit rabbit in the headlights, I think Thorne is going to be an even bigger blow :(

My take on player ratings for anyone interested:

Grant 7 - All of Burtons shots were pretty much straight at him but his handling and command of his area were good, some errant kicking here and there.

Forsyth 6 - Not involved in our build up as much as usual, but looked good going forward when we did occasionally find him, showed some great first touches from some of Buckos 60 yard passes.

Buxton 8 - Looked really solid and composed, won pretty much all of his headers and his passing is as sharp as ever.

Keogh 5 - Shaky in all honesty, I'm not sure if he is dwelling on the ball more or if attackers are targeting him and closing him down faster, but seems to be getting caught in possession more.

Christie 6 - I thought he looked ok defensively, he's strong and very, very quick, got into the last third a lot and then struggled to find a pass or cross most times, his first touch looked poor as well. Looks a good prospect though and I'm sure his distribution will improve as he becomes more familiar with his team mates.

Bryson 7 - A quiet night by his standards, was busier in the first half winning some good tackles in midfield, I didn't notice him as much in the second half.

Hendrick 8 - Full of running and so strong on the ball, if he can start finding the target consistently from the positions he gets himself in he could score more than Bryson this season.

Eustace 6 - Looked solid enough, I don't think the first half formation really did him any favours, but screened the back four well and kept his passing simple.

Hughes 7 - Not quite as solid as Eustace, but far more comfortable on the ball and able to provide more with his distribution. He needs to learn the tricks of the trade, give a niggling foul away here and there, and there was a moment in the second half where he went in for a 50/50 and lost out, where Eustace would have taken ball and player.

Ward 7 - Looked sharp and showed a good turn of pace a few times, still can't take a corner though.

Russell 8 - Really lively and razor sharp, blew past defenders all night and his passing looked improved from last year, should be in for a good season.

Martin 6 - Showed some good link up play and passing, we just never got the ball into his feet enough for me.

Overall a fairly solid performance, though I hope we never see the system in the first half used again.

One moment summed what Hughes has to offer for me (ignoring the brilliant run when he dribbled past the entire Burton defence).

Deep in Derby territory, second half, under pressure, he flicked a header 15 yards sideways to the right, over a Burton player to Russell in space. His vision is phenomenal - seems to be aware of where everyone is all the time.

From his performance last night, I'd stick Hughes as front runner for holding midfielder.

Would have liked to have seen a few more subs last night, but was clearly going for full match fitness workouts. 

Personally I'm interested to see Calero and Bunjaku play. Or if you listen to Burton, Galero and Buntaku...

One point i'd make about Keogh is that he's a confidence player, does great when it's high does woeful when it's low. Derby Fans getting on his back is not going to help and i can only see him getting worse.

If we bring a decent CB in i'd drop him and give the armband to bucko, very harsh and not exactly good for moral but no one should be immune to being dropped, not even the captain.

I think its vital that the defence is comfortable in retaining possession. Wisdom was never panicked into hoofing. The reassurance he gave Keogh I think was crucial. This is my biggest worry this season.

at time last season wisdom didnt look confortable on the ball, espically the back end of last season 

Agree regarding the confidence thing

He (Keogh) needs to focus on the fantastic last-ditch challenge which kept the score at 1-0, as opposed to worrying about or festering upon other matters which perhaps didn't go as planned.

Was a poor game from start to finish but did not expect anything else. Derby worked hard at keeping the ball and made Burton chase for 90 minutes. people calling keogh for lack of confidence is never going to help the guy but there were several times last night that he did'nt go for the ball as it was a pre season game. if it was for points he would have nailed the winger and the ball. did make a great tackle in the box but as he got up asked the striker if he was ok in a real match he would not have given a toss about the player on the floor and would have been back focused on the game..

we look a little weak at the back but game time will halp them bond as a unit and understand each others game.

roll on saturday and bucko can kick miller from pillar to post

up the rams!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived