Brightside thread

Leicester Ram

He could do an adequate job there but he wouldn't be good enough to do it for a whole season and he'd be wasted there. Not big enough to be relied upon to protect the back 4 and his talents are better used in a more attacking midfield spot.

I agree. His passing and vision side of his game is perfect for the role. But he just isn't strong, nor defensively aware enough for it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone tells me this team isn't good enough to get automatically promoted then you're probably Baggie79 in disguise:

Grant, Christie, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth,

Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes,

Russell, Martin, Ward.

Christie is the only one that worries me. Don't know if he'd good enough defensively yet.

Christie is the only one that worries me. Don't know if he'd good enough defensively yet.

I have a feeling that defensively we will be weaker this season than last. But with Russell and Dawkins on the wings, Hughes a year older and Hendrick as a battering ram in midfield, I've a feeling we will score more than last season. Who needs Thorne or a good defence anyway...winning 5-4 is much more exciting than winning 5-0 :)

I have a feeling that defensively we will be weaker this season than last. But with Russell and Dawkins on the wings, Hughes a year older and Hendrick as a battering ram in midfield, I've a feeling we will score more than last season. Who needs Thorne or a good defence anyway...winning 5-4 is much more exciting than winning 5-0 :)

I hope Dawkins has improved because I didn't rate him towards the end of last season. Christie will need to be careful, we can't afford to have Forsyth and Christie bombing up at the same time otherwise we'll concede too many sloppy goals on the counter.

I agree. His passing and vision side of his game is perfect for the role. But he just isn't strong, nor defensively aware enough for it.

If Thorne hadn't been injured would you put Hughes on the bench?

I still think Hughes can play defensive midfied. The Millwall game is often touted as proof that Hughes can't play that role but I think that performance was more us missing Martin. Will can tackle, he seemed to up his energy level last year. He can recieve the ball and retain posession well. He can certainly pick a pass. He does need to up his strength but maybe this year we will see that too.

As Thorne is injured we could do much worse that have Hughes available.

................................Grant...................................

Christie...........Keogh...............Buxton..........Forsyth

................................Hughes...................................

................Hendrick...................Bryson...................

.......Russell..............Martin..............Dawkins

Subs: Roos - Eustace - Sammon - Ward - Whitbread - Coutts - Naylor -

If Thorne hadn't been injured would you put Hughes on the bench?

I still think Hughes can play defensive midfied. The Millwall game is often touted as proof that Hughes can't play that role but I think that performance was more us missing Martin. Will can tackle, he seemed to up his energy level last year. He can recieve the ball and retain posession well. He does need to up his strength but maybe this year we will see that too.

If Thorne was injured during the season we could do much worse that have Hughes available.

................................Grant...................................

Christie...........Keogh...............Buxton..........Forsyth

................................Hughes...................................

................Hendrick...................Bryson...................

.......Russell..............Martin..............Dawkins

Subs: Roos - Eustace - Sammon - Ward - Whitbread - Coutts - Naylor -

No. For me, it would have been Hendrick to start on the bench against Rotherham. Hughes is our most gifted player, for me.

I still think Hughes can play defensive midfied. The Millwall game is often touted as proof that Hughes can't play that role but I think that performance was more us missing Martin. Will can tackle, he seemed to up his energy level last year. He can recieve the ball and retain posession well. He can certainly pick a pass. He does need to up his strength but maybe this year we will see that too.

I disagree... not about the Millwall game in truth cos we did massively miss Martin then... but playing Hughes there is a waste... his main attributes aren't long-distance ranging balls like a Gerard or Beckham, he's got incredible ball control and vision to pick out killer 10 yard passes against the last line of defence... you lose that completely playing him in midfield...

Also the lad is made of twigs! You play him DM all season he will either get broken or he'll just get muscled out way too often...

Archived