Local Press

FrostedRam

We're one month into a transfer window during World Cup season. It's bound to be a little quiet and the quality of reporting goes down because nothing is happening. I mean just look at how terrible my posts have been lately, even worse than during the regular season.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is the DET are not just there to get the latest scoop for us fans, but its also there to help the club. That could be trying to get more from one of out players or try and bring down the price of a player we want.

What would the point be if the DET published all our transfer targets and our budget? It could upset current players and make is over pay on players.

I read the transfer rumours sites and Nixon for the comical hopes it gives me during the boring summer months.

I used to look to the DET to confirm/deny rumours. It just seems the last week that all it does is relay twitter rumours with no definitive answer as to whether we are going for the player.

Never mind telling Steve to catch up and get with it,you lot are even worse.Its not

the DET anymore and hasn't been for about 2 years,its the DT,ever since they went

down to 1 morning edition.

One edition of the paper is the reason why, after 30 years of having it delivered, I'm considering pulling the plug on it. It's not arrived prior to me leaving for work therefore when I read it early evening, the news is yesterday's news.

The sports section drives me mad sometimes, in that exactly the same descriptions are put across to the reader in several differing ways under different headings. All the time it leaves you thinking "I've read that part twice already"!

In short, four pages could easily be condensed into two without any effort at all.

I too think there should be more statistical data both present and historical, not just photos of old clashes.

As an aside, why doesn't the cricket reporter publish regular league tables of the county teams? I know in Derbyshire's case it may be handy to omit this information because they are pants, but surely we can have it verified.

Never mind telling Steve to catch up and get with it,you lot are even worse.Its not

the DET anymore and hasn't been for about 2 years,its the DT,ever since they went

down to 1 morning edition.

I didn't even know that. Explains why when I get to work I knew about stuff 24 hours ago

I used to work for the DET and was made redundant 2 years ago.

Reason being---------------------------------------------they moved the printing of it to Birmingham to Trinity Mirror (a direct competitor) and dumped the workforce who printed that and many other titles.

I have been lucky and found work straight away, but the DET rolled on and on about the morals behind the Bombardier saga and behind the scenes the parent company were stitching up their own workforce.

In Steve's defence, the budget for reporting, sub editors, etc was cut drastically and more work was placed onto the already loaded staff. He is a very likeable bloke and lives and breathes DCFC.

So, when your paper isn't delivered in a morning, it's probably stuck on the A38 or something, because a national title has had production problems and impacted on the rest of the production schedule.

Reason being---------------------------------------------they moved the printing of it to Birmingham to Trinity Mirror (a direct competitor) and dumped the workforce who printed that and many other titles.

I have been lucky and found work straight away, but the DET rolled on and on about the morals behind the Bombardier saga and behind the scenes the parent company were stitching up their own workforce.

In Steve's defence, the budget for reporting, sub editors, etc was cut drastically and more work was placed onto the already loaded staff. He is a very likeable bloke and lives and breathes DCFC.

So, when your paper isn't delivered in a morning, it's probably stuck on the A38 or something, because a national title has had production problems and impacted on the rest of the production schedule.

I remember the days when the vans used to line up outside the building waiting for the print run at lunch time. Glad you picked up a job, there's been plenty of redundancies at that place over the last 10 years.

When I worked there Gerald Mortimer did the DCFC stuff and Steve was a brown-haired Evertonian!!!

I remember the days when the vans used to line up outside the building waiting for the print run at lunch time. Glad you picked up a job, there's been plenty of redundancies at that place over the last 10 years.

Yes, too may, although there won't be any more from the production side. Sad to see the old building up for sale, but times move on. If they had been more upfront about what they were doing I would have much better memories.

A majority of the blokes who I met in my near 18 years there were stars and deserved better.

Yes, too may, although there won't be any more from the production side. Sad to see the old building up for sale, but times move on. If they had been more upfront about what they were doing I would have much better memories.

A majority of the blokes who I met in my near 18 years there were stars and deserved better.

I used to play for the Telegraph football team around 92/93, we lost every game and went on mad tours around the country playing other newspapers, we even played at the BBG and Port Vale's ground against Stoke Sentinal, happy boozy days!

In fairness Steve can only report facts and as mentioned needs to have a good relationship with DCFC.

From what I can gather, Clough uses the local media to his advantage. The stuff/info/leaks/gossip coming out on the Sheffield Star is now similar to what was being printed by the DET over the last few seasons. Rush and co play their cards closer to their chest.

I'm getting a bit fed up of these filler non-stories that the DET pads out now.

Example:

http://www.derbytele...ail/story.html?

I'm guessing this is from the same post-Bryson interview of last week. Is that what journalism is now? Keeping back a couple of sound-bites to generate another article on a future  slow news day?

On match days now, we can expect to see three or four different stories from one interview with McClaren, talking about different players performances.

I notice this season that they've started creating articles based on any significant transfer speculation that breaks during the day. I can't remember them doing this before.

The article is 200 words of facts that may well have been bullet pointed.

It's just lazy, IMO. I understand that they shouldn't join in with the hyperbole, but I mean.. come on!

It hasn't even got a summary, which could have been 50 words.

I just don't think it is that hard at all. 

Archived