Local Press

FrostedRam

I'm becoming a little disillusioned with the local press.

I used to look at S. Nicholson as someone in the know and obviously had a lot to do with the club. But following his tweet last night about the transfer rumours of McClean, Thorne, Francis, Ward and Bryson it appears the DET has just regurgitated old news that we already knew via twitter accounts and the #ITK people on the forum.

It seems that the telegraph now just uses transfer gossip columns to fill inches in the sport section.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the off season you dolt, what are they supposed to write about? There's no sodding news.

Now go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

So DET run story saying we are not interested in McCormack then a day later saying we are interested. Derby haven't bid for Francis according to DET but later in the day we have bid twice.

Run one story with the facts.

Steve Nicholson, in my opinion, and I don't want this to sound at all bad but somewhat lazy. 

He gets unprecedented access to Derby, can ask questions to the top guys at Derby and knows an awful lot of people around the club and connected to the club. 

He hears the same rumours we do and, in my opinion, he should be exhausting his contacts around the media to find out the truth. 

I know a lot of people are quick to write Nixon off, but he obviously puts some hours in on the phone or whatever trying to track down stories - Steve, just seems to wait until it's been confirmed and then reports on it. 

If he tried a bit harder, I think the DET would sell a hell of a lot more copies/get more hits. No-one is really interested in a story that's done the rounds elsewhere. 

Steve Nicholson, in my opinion, and I don't want this to sound at all bad but somewhat lazy. 

He gets unprecedented access to Derby, can ask questions to the top guys at Derby and knows an awful lot of people around the club and connected to the club. 

He hears the same rumours we do and, in my opinion, he should be exhausting his contacts around the media to find out the truth. 

I know a lot of people are quick to write Nixon off, but he obviously puts some hours in on the phone or whatever trying to track down stories - Steve, just seems to wait until it's been confirmed and then reports on it. 

If he tried a bit harder, I think the DET would sell a hell of a lot more copies/get more hits. No-one is really interested in a story that's done the rounds elsewhere.

There goes your job on the DET.

What news is there to report?

That we've had bids turned down? That just get people urging other people to splash the millions they've worked for. It's easy spending someone else's money. It was ironic that time Derby were offering refunds if people were unhappy with the summer. "Derby ain't having my

Maybe it's because he is so well connected that he can't tell us everything?

Surely good journalism is knowing what to say and what not to say? Or do people want another Nixon, trying to tell everyone everything and being called a liar when talks don't turn into deals.

I'm far happier to have a trustworthy source that's a little late than have another ego fighting to be first.

Nixon reports everything from concrete news to 'Derby are signing a player this summer who has 2 legs and a head'.

Link?

Ambitious, on 30 Jun 2014 - 7:09 PM, said:"http://dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_images/dcfcfans/snapback" alt="snapback">

The club hold all the cards, if the DET repeatedly annoy the club, then the club can cut the access and they won't really suffer but the DET will suffer greatly as they place DCFC as one of the central parts of the editorial output. 

The Nixon v Nicholson comparison is a bit unfair, Nixon isn't tied to a club and he can access many people at many clubs across the country, so if he has issues with one club or member of staff he can access others. Working for a national is much easier in that respect. The same happens in news journalism national reporters can push the boundaries much more than local reporters.

Nicholson does not have that luxury he is tied to Derby and has to consider the bigger picture when hunting for a story. There will be exclusive stories throughout the season that the DET will get access to as they have a good relationship with the club that the nationals won't be given access to. 

It's the DET's editorial policy aimed at forging a strong relationship with the club that limits some of the things that Nicholson can report/do.

Of course there is stuff to write about, but it does take a lot of effort IMO. 

I couldn't tell you for a fact how busy this website is, but I know that it probably deals with a small minority of Derby fans that would check the DET if the news was a bit more interesting.

I was impressed with the Craig Bryson piece, but why stop there?

For example, Jake Buxton's signed a new deal.

Why not look at his time here.. how he's improved.. the statistics behind his game.. speculate what he can do next season and the impact he will have on his fellow players. 

I don't think it always has to be about transfer stuff, but I just think he could do more. There is always more to do. 

Of course there is stuff to write about, but it does take a lot of effort IMO. 

I couldn't tell you for a fact how busy this website is, but I know that it probably deals with a small minority of Derby fans that would check the DET if the news was a bit more interesting.

I was impressed with the Craig Bryson piece, but why stop there?

For example, Jake Buxton's signed a new deal.

Why not look at his time here.. how he's improved.. the statistics behind his game.. speculate what he can do next season and the impact he will have on his fellow players. 

I don't think it always has to be about transfer stuff, but I just think he could do more. There is always more to do. 

I agree. The DET offers little in terms of analysis.

Maybe it's because he is so well connected that he can't tell us everything?

Surely good journalism is knowing what to say and what not to say? Or do people want another Nixon, trying to tell everyone everything and being called a liar when talks don't turn into deals.

I'm far happier to have a trustworthy source that's a little late than have another ego fighting to be first.

Nah, I do agree to a point.

As I said though, there is always stuff to write about. He's mentioned Francis for example, but what do people know about him? really? 

Surely that's where he should come alive - people would read up, I'm sure. 

I don't know about the rest of it mate. But for the gossip on transfer stuff, what possible good can come from telling Derby fans that we've had bids rejected. Or that we ARE interested in McCormack. Just creates a frenzy. As we can see thanks to national journalists.

We all know we're trying to get Thorne. That we are out there looking for players and we're waiting and hoping in Wisdom and even Bamford. Nixon seems to have ground breaking news everyday.... yet nothing has come of any of it. Not yet. Maybe not ever.

Not really a newspaper for speculation is it the DET. Because i doubt the club would look kindly on the frenzy speculation can cause.

Unlike Nixon I don't think Nicholson wants people hanging on his every word. He reports concrete news when he gets it. Nixon reports everything from concrete news to 'Derby are signing a player this summer who has 2 legs and a head. Buy my paper to find out if he has a head'

Very important detail that. It depends on whose head it is, as it could be a la Conor!

Archived