Can someone explain why this is happening??

-JW-

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He may have been in the TA and is passionate about Remembrance but that doesn't mean he is obliged to do his remembering in this way.

I served for thirteen years from the early 80s through to the mid 90s in all sorts of theatres (no, I wasn't an ENSA thespian) and lost a number of friends and comrades during that period. I am probably as passionate about Remembrance and celebrating lives as anyone but I wouldn't dream of something like this.

Better to get out there and do some work for one of the deserving service charities than applauding.

If he wants to know how, put him in touch with me!

He may have been in the TA and is passionate about Remembrance but that doesn't mean he is obliged to do his remembering in this way.

I served for thirteen years from the early 80s through to the mid 90s in all sorts of theatres (no, I wasn't an ENSA thespian) and lost a number of friends and comrades during that period. I am probably as passionate about Remembrance and celebrating lives as anyone but I wouldn't dream of something like this.

Better to get out there and do some work for one of the deserving service charities than applauding.

If he wants to know how, put him in touch with me!

Exactly what my father in law said. He's served too.

So people on here are saying just because it isnt related to the club we dont need to show our support to their family (it'll only take minute of your lives) 

What makes this lad special? Nothing, but when it comes to respecting the fallen heroes I wont shy away no matter who it is.

So people on here are saying just because it isnt related to the club we dont need to show our support to their family (it'll only take minute of your lives) 

What makes this lad special? Nothing, but when it comes to respecting the fallen heroes I wont shy away no matter who it is.

And also for every other soldier/sailor/airman on an individual basis?

What about murdered/missing children? Nurses? Teachers? Where would it end? Missing dogs? If this kind of thing happens every other week it becomes meaningless.

And also for every other soldier/sailor/airman on an individual basis?

What about murdered/missing children? Nurses? Teachers? Where would it end? Missing dogs? If this kind of thing happens every other week it becomes meaningless.

if it happened every week i'd still clap

As a serving Airman I too wonder why. I understand the need in remembering All servicepeople that have fallen but as has been pointed out on this forum there is a specific day for that and that is November 11th. It was a terrible act but is it more abhorrent than any other murder or life lost on active duty? I very rarely air my views on this but I feel stronly that whilst his death, although tragic, is no more tragic than anybody else who dies in service to the Queen.

Also we clap for hillsborugh every year and that doesn't have anything to do with derby county

Ridiculous to compare the two. One, a football tragedy during a football match when 96 football supporters lost their lives. Two, a tragic murder.

It does not mean we don't care, in fact I believe the vast majority raising the concerns over this actually care more than the ones who thought it up. There is no relevance between lee Rigby and Derby County, Derbyshire, Rangers, the date or anything other than it is the biggest single name the (non registered) charity could come up with to promote themselves. The clubs also cannot object due to a potential pr backlash from the national press.

He didn't fall, he was murdered in the street. To equate this act to deaths of servicemen in war is to say that our High Street is the front line. It isn't and it whips up hatred in our own community. I suspect this is the motivation.

What is the beds to 'show' respect? It's to single those out who do not join. It is pernicious and not in the least a demonstration of solidarity.

Respect is from the heart. There's no need to publicise it.

Does it really take people clapping, at an event that only those that are there will see, to show support to his family?

I imagine they would much rather a trust fund or something like that is set up than people stood there clapping for 60 seconds.

Not missing the point at all, in fact, (and ready for incoming for saying this) believe I am probably eminently more qualified to have an opinion on this one.

I get the sentiment, I really do, but November 11th is our day to remember ALL of the fallen and their families, not any other random date. Fall in with the veterans (Jeez, a veteran at 47!) on that date and tell me why is should be sacrosanct.

I belive people are missing the point, their is a deeper message:

Just because it isn't christmas, doesn't mean we cant have turkey

The point being that if we have turkey for every meal we will no longer see it as a special meal and soon get bored of it?

Archived