Burnley and QPR attempts to sign Craig Bryson

Jenkinson

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not posted for a few days while I get settled back into England but I want to mention this. Sorry that it's so direct to certain posters.

First of all, Ambitious you know that I like you a lot as a poster and have since I joined but I'm a bit confused about the "new you and think that the writing of the articles has given you too serious an outlook , don't know if it's just that you feel you've got to analyse everything and everyone these days but I massively preferred the old you.

Feel free to tell me I'm out of order.

Secondly for all of those saying Bryson can bugger off if he think he's too big for the club and to those who say he's peaked....

If he doesn't leave how are you going to back track? Are you all going to be singing his praises when he bags another double figure haul for us next year.

Why is it that as soon as we get wind a player has a slight chance of leaving, they get thrown under the bus by the same fans who have been heralding him for years.

For the record, I DO NOT under any circumstances want to lose Bryson. I dont understand how people can be so critical of a player who has been out POTY for two out the 3 seasons here. About a player who has the utmost respect of his fellow pros and managers.

I sometimes think football fans are a total joke who don't deserve to see their team succeed.

Bryson has been massive for us for three years and we're throwing him under the bus for a kid who has played 20 games.

Sod that.

not out or order at all. I'm fed up with ambitious too. Who wants reasoned logical analysis. I read this forum for hysterical emotion. And puns. Ambitious out (guardian forums perhaps), motsyn in.

Going to throw it out there.  Hendrick WILL be better that Bryson. We saw a bit of that at the end of the season. Hendrick was powerful, comfortable in possession, had a viscous shot, got beyond the front man and frightened teams/ Could easily take on the "Bryson role".

Going to throw it out there. Hendrick WILL be better that Bryson. We saw a bit of that at the end of the season. Hendrick was powerful, comfortable in possession, had a viscous shot, got beyond the front man and frightened teams/ Could easily take on the "Bryson role".

Agree. Said this earlier. 8 goals last season with 3 months injured and large spells out the side

I'd be more than happy with Hendrick, Hughes and Thorne next season with Eustace and Coutts in reserve (although, one more wouldn't go amiss)

I think there will be a lot of expectation on Hughes next season, if he is going to hit his potential then next season could be a big year for him.

Much like Zaha for Palace. If you have a good year and you're in the England team. It could be an interesting one.

I'd be more than happy with Hendrick, Hughes and Thorne next season with Eustace and Coutts in reserve (although, one more wouldn't go amiss)

I think there will be a lot of expectation on Hughes next season, if he is going to hit his potential then next season could be a big year for him.

Much like Zaha for Palace. If you have a good year and you're in the England team. It could be an interesting one.

Bunjaku maybe? All depends if he can make the step up to the first team

We don't need to sell him unless this clause forces us to. We've just bid over a million for a lad who's likely to be backup. There's been numerous reports (Including the Derbyshire Telegraph I believe) saying we had a 5 million bid for McCormack rejected and Rush has stated we're going to try and sign Thorne and we will not be forced into selling players

Don't see why there's all this need for 'Should we sell Bryson to fund Thorne move' talk when it's clear we don't need to sell in order to buy for a change

I'd be gutted if we lost Bryson. He's a decent lad forging a nice career for himself at Derby and I was hoping he'd be another in a long line of Jocks who we talk about and remember fondly in years to come, maybe even come back as a Radio Derby pundit.

I'd also be a bit disappointed if he doesn't fully buy into what's going on here, but I recognise that at his age an absolute guarantee that he will have the chance to prove himself in what is perceived to be best league in the world is a massively attractive prospect. He needs to plot his next career move carefully. And why not? You're not a footballer for long.

I also don't think that losing Bryson would be the end of the world. Before anyone accuses me of slating a player I used to think was brilliant, I'm not. He's a fantastic player of Premier League quality and I'm not surprised he's wanted. But he's not indispensable and there are other players I'd sooner keep.

Thing is with Bryson, is he looks absolutely brilliant in a side playing brilliantly. I'd back him to get a similar goal tally again next season. In his first two years with us, he was a good player but a bit of a headless chicken. Evidence suggests that at the start of last season, Clough was getting him to channel that energy into more useful attacking runs and Steve Mac certainly finished that job off.

Have to say though, reflecting on his first three seasons here, I can't remember a performance where he's carried a team when the rest have played poorly. I think back to some of those really dour performances we had in 11/12 and 12/13, and it was when the midfield was static and lost for ideas. Those are the games when your experienced midfielders should beg for the ball, and make things happen. Bryson goes missing in those sort of matches. He's also pretty quiet on the field. His performance against Ipswich at home was probably the worst of the lot in the first half. He was meant to be the experienced one, yet he wasn't talking to anyone and he wasn't coming for the ball or making things happen. Second half, Eustace changed the game, and then we wouldn't have won without him....

Hughes is learning to dominate games and make things happen when things aren't going well. I think Thorne, on balance, is probably that sort of player too.

Sorry for the essay. Just trying to help those who rate Bryson highly like me, but perhaps can't see how we're going to replace him. We can. There are other Brysons out there. He's a vital cog in a good side but he's not the one making the machine run.

100% agree with that post.

Nobody on this board, or in Derby, doesn't rate Bryson. I think that claim is fabricated, somewhat.

He is one of our better players, but he isn't irreplaceable. I also think, for him, the time to move on is perhaps now, but I'd bide my time for a good club to come along. For instance, I don't think Burnley and him are a good match at all. 

If he's here next season then we'll be a better team for it, but if he is to move on then I don't think we have too much to worry about. We're lucky that we already have Hendrick and Hughes, along with connections to top clubs (like Chelsea) that could lend us a Chalobah, Baker, Swift...etc if we run into problems. 

It's an area where I think we'll be okay in, with or without Bryson. However, I do hope and pray that he does sign a new deal and he is a Derby player next season - it would be a huge boost, as opposed to Bray leaving last season. 

Going to throw it out there.  Hendrick WILL be better that Bryson. We saw a bit of that at the end of the season. Hendrick was powerful, comfortable in possession, had a viscous shot, got beyond the front man and frightened teams/ Could easily take on the "Bryson role".

He mainlines treacle?

To put it into perspective, if Bryson leaves we could still boast a midfield of Hendrick, Hughes as Thorne. I don't think there's a club in this league that could lose their most prolific midfielder and still have a line-up that strong. (Obviously this is assuming we get Thorne)

I wouldn't like it, but I think we'd cope.

Gotta agree with that Duracell, remember the brighton game, I never noticed Bryson at all, in fact the only thing I did remember him doing was get subbed :/. But I can remember Hendrick making those chagrin runs that got us to there penalty area, don't get me wrong, I think both are fantastic players but Bryson can't grab a game by the scruff of the neck whereas Hendrick will easily offer you something much more direct, like a few on here mentioned, I'd think with a run in the team like Bryson got Hendrick would score as many and more. 

I thonk if if I had a choice of which starting 11 player we had to lose (leave out ward) then I think because of cover depth and quality replacements, I would choose Bryson 9/10 times, as we can manage without him

To put it into perspective, if Bryson leaves we could still boast a midfield of Hendrick, Hughes as Thorne. I don't think there's a club in this league that could lose their most prolific midfielder and still have a line-up that strong. (Obviously this is assuming we get Thorne)

I wouldn't like it, but I think we'd cope.

There is no guarantee that Hughes, Hendrick and Thorne will be fit for a whole season. And I don't think Couts is decent enough. I would defo keep Bryson. This is a team not just a starting 11.

Archived