Zoltan Gera

DCFCMorris

PistoldPete2

I think he's had two cruciate injuries and his season/career ended at WBA recently with another knee injury. Clearly a class player, but you'd think it would be a lot of money for only a few games. What Rush said recently about our wages been spent on the players on the pitch was interesting, and Zoltan would unnecessarily erode that.

Also, our current more youthful midfield overwhelms teams by our high-energy game and I can't see him being able to contribute in that way. So, it's probably a "no" from me..

But, credit to him for singling us out in the interview (was that a "come and get me" plea?) And if we did give him a contract, I wouldn't object and would look forward to his contribution next season.

Weve got three quality midfielders and Thorne is a better option if we can get him. If not may be a possibility.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take a look at Eustace. He's a good experienced player, who last season played 14 Premier League games, I'm not saying let's break the bank for him.

But let's say he signs tomorrow, I wouldn't be shocked to see him have a good season for us.

Not for me, we are looking to build a team ready for the Prem, at 35 i cant see the point, and his wages :o

So get Thorne,

and also i saw this, if we're looking for someone to unlock a defence..  altho we do have a midfield quartet already, but if we're looking at Gera, i would prefer ........ *drum roll*

Bueno is on a free ?

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/06/07/sp-spurs-alberto-bueno-piece/

Not for me, we are looking to build a team ready for the Prem, at 35 i cant see the point, and his wages :o

So get Thorne,

and also i saw this, if we're looking for someone to unlock a defence..  altho we do have a midfield quartet already, but if we're looking at Gera, i would prefer ........ *drum roll*

Bueno is on a free ?

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/06/07/sp-spurs-alberto-bueno-piece/

Read an article somewhere that Prem clubs are in for him

Also, he doesn't really fit our system anymore. He plays your ''No 10'' role, just behind the striker which is a position that doesn't exist in our current formation. He's a very talented footballer, while sometimes inconsistent, but he'd be wasted if we played him too deep in midfield or as a winger.

Read an article somewhere that Prem clubs are in for him

Also, he doesn't really fit our system anymore. He plays your ''No 10'' role, just behind the striker which is a position that doesn't exist in our current formation. He's a very talented footballer, while sometimes inconsistent, but he'd be wasted if we played him too deep in midfield or as a winger.

Not a comment on Bueno per se, but we really need more than one way of playing. I love our 4-1-5 formation (OK, 4-1-2-3 for some, but various players were sometimes furthest forward last season) but clubs will work us out and we have to be flexible and ready to implement significant tactical changes. We will be facing massed defence for much of next season and, as we saw at Wembley sadly, we're not always great at breaking teams down. We have the system we have because it's a good way of getting the best out of our current team. If we have a chance to get better players who don't fit, we just need other systems.

Not a comment on Bueno per se, but we really need more than one way of playing. I love our 4-1-5 formation (OK, 4-1-2-3 for some, but various players were sometimes furthest forward last season) but clubs will work us out and we have to be flexible and ready to implement significant tactical changes. We will be facing massed defence for much of next season and, as we saw at Wembley sadly, we're not always great at breaking teams down. We have the system we have because it's a good way of getting the best out of our current team. If we have a chance to get better players who don't fit, we just need other systems.

I agree 100%. Teams began to figure us out towards the end of last season and they learnt to deal with us. We need a Plan B to offer something different, if our 4-3-3 isn't working. I know we used 4-2-4 but that can backfire easily. 3-5-2 could work, if we sign a new CB. This allows us to play a 2nd striker without sacrificing midfielders. Forsyth and the RB would act as wing backs which Forsyth started doing anyway at the end of last season. The only downside could be Buxton's mobility, so Keogh would have to act as a sweeper at times. 

Including forest onwards, we won 9, drew 1, and lost 3 games. Translated into points over 46 game season this would be 106 points. Can't see how teams figured us out based on these results.

Including forest onwards, we won 9, drew 1, and lost 3 games. Translated into points over 46 game season this would be 106 points. Can't see how teams figured us out based on these results.

As the world's leading (late) cosmologist, I feel compelled to point out the error in your math: [(9 x 3) + (1 x 1) + (3 x 0)] x 46/(9 + 1 +3) = 99 pts, which is clearly nowhere near good enough :)

As the world's leading (late) cosmologist, I feel compelled to point out the error in your math: [(9 x 3) + (1 x 1) + (3 x 0)] x 46/(9 + 1 +3) = 99 pts, which is clearly nowhere near good enough :)

You'll have me doubting the 4-4-3 system next!

Archived