D-Day Remembered.

ladyram

Wow. Watching the coverage of the recreation of the Normandy landings with veterans approaching it again by sea. Respect, respect, respect to those Gents present, and remembering those who fell.

How different our lives would have been if Hitler had succeeded..

And also remembering the dead from the Great WW1, 100 years ago since that began.

Thankyou for giving us our freedom, you're awesome :-)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with everything you have said Ladyram,each and everyone of us should stop for a minuite today,remember and give thanks to those brave men who fought and in many cases bravely gave their lives so that we could live in a country called Great Britain,and not under Hitler

An astonishing feat of individual bravery and organisation.

As an aside, check out the work of a double agent code name Garbo in the run up to D-Day.

Double agents had it pretty rough around D-Day, some were told the truth and a lie. Others just the lie because we knew they would be tortured

Couldn't even begin to put into words my feelings towards these chaps and ladies - It's sad to think that in another 30 years there'll likely be no one left alive from the second world war and it'll be consigned to history alongside the likes of Waterloo and Rorke's Drift etc. 

I guess we're lucky that it at least took place during the age of film so that their feats of heroism will always live on in that medium.

Just watching it on the news...wouldn't it be nice if the veterans were revered by all in this country, don't get me wrong, I know there's many that are showing gratitude for their heroism but unfortunately there are too many that have no respect for the elderly in general.

Total respect from EHR.

Total respect to them all....

And what do we give them in return for this sacrifice?

Twitter famous and TOWIE ***** who can't remember what they said five minutes ago and think that DDAY is a party at a mega club in Marbella

Absolutely agree with everything that has been said about these magnificent men and women. The television pictures of events throughout the day have been very moving 

Watching the tv coverage though the one thing that really winds me up is how Prince Charles, a man who has never done anything worthy of note, can have the brass neck to walk amongst these fine people whilst wearing a huge row of 'medals' on his chest

Did anyone see the genyleman who parachuted in again - 70 years on - not a flinch as he jumped out the plane - after he'd landed the reporter asked him "how are your nerves?" to a reply of "what nerves, what are those?".

Balls of steel right there.

What makes me angry is he has to share oxygen with some of our younger generations who don't give a toss what he went through, what he saw, or what mates were sacrificed so they could benefit.

It makes me sick.

Did anyone see the genyleman who parachuted in again - 70 years on - not a flinch as he jumped out the plane - after he'd landed the reporter asked him "how are your nerves?" to a reply of "what nerves, what are those?".

What makes me angry is he has to share oxygen with some of our younger generations who don't give a toss what he went through, what he saw, or what mates were sacrificed so they could benefit.

It makes me sick.

Commented on this to my Dad earlier - could have been Andrew, could have been William or Harry, all of whom have served, but no, it's the plant-charmer.  :rolleyes:

Commented on this to my Dad earlier - could have been Andrew, could have been William or Harry, all of whom have served, but no, it's the plant-charmer.  :rolleyes:

I think you'll find he served in both the army and the navy.

Interviewed in the Indy today, when he was asked if it was scary, replied that he was a nasty little scotsman, and nowt scared him! Also said he jumped at the chance to do it, chances for excitement were rare at his age.

Thank god people like him existed, their actions meant future generations wouldn't have to be so selfless.

It makes me sick.

Interviewed in the Indy today, when he was asked if it was scary, replied that he was a nasty little scotsman, and nowt scared him! Also said he jumped at the chance to do it, chances for excitement were rare at his age.

Thank god people like him existed, their actions meant future generations wouldn't have to be so selfless.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Just watching it on the news...wouldn't it be nice if the veterans were revered by all in this country, don't get me wrong, I know there's many that are showing gratitude for their heroism but unfortunately there are too many that have no respect for the elderly in general.

Total respect from EHR.

Maybe that's because it's so long ago culturally the struggles, hardship, need to stand together has been diluted and nationally we take things for granted.

Surprised the veteran who was asked about nerves jumping out of a plane didn't reply "what nerves, I wasn't being shot at this time"

Wonderful people, only hope that should we be faced by such times again there are enough still like them left,

I believe you're a teacher, do you think today's kids would do the same?

Popular opinion says not, but I'm not so sure. I think the young today feel just as passionately about injustice and intolerance as the veterans on the news today, they just lack a cause to fight for, thank god.

Btw, as a 38yr old, feel so old typing that!

Archived