Johnny Russell

Albert

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, now that the season is over...

How was our Scottish Lionel Messi? Did he match your expectations?

Afterall, his transfer certainly built up the biggest hype we've ever seen on here.

I thought he looked good in the second half of the season, and next season he should improve more. He seems to have pretty good dribbling skills and he's ridiculously fast.

He's done better than I thought he would.  He's not only had to move house/friends/locality and settle in but has also had to move up a league and club and deal with two significant injuries, as well as a change in management part way through one of them.  None of that can have been easy.

Despite that he has improved as a player during the season, learnt a new role in a new team, contributed significantly at times and shows that bit of passion/desire/self-confidence/arrogance that you want to see in a striker.  Given good service next year and good luck on the injury front there's no reason why he couldn't do really well in this league and for us.

Given continued development and our team's progress I think he could be a PL striker

He's done better than I thought he would.  He's not only had to move house/friends/locality and settle in but has also had to move up a league and club and deal with two significant injuries, as well as a change in management part way through one of them.  None of that can have been easy.

Despite that he has improved as a player during the season, learnt a new role in a new team, contributed significantly at times and shows that bit of passion/desire/self-confidence/arrogance that you want to see in a striker.  Given good service next year and good luck on the injury front there's no reason why he couldn't do really well in this league and for us.

Given continued development and our team's progress I think he could be a PL striker

And yet a few folks wrote him off before they had even seen him play for us......very strange that!

I thought he must have been injured on Saturday when he went off. Seemed to me that he was the one that looked most likely to find a way through.

His energy is unbelievable. His defensive qualities are what have surprised me most, constantly tracking back and helping the full-backs. Not to mention the fact that he looks a threat every time he goes forward. Seems a bargain for 750k to me.

Ironically, stats would say he's the worst defensively out of the three wingers. Though I agree he seems to track back more than the others.

It's an odd one.

Ironically, stats would say he's the worst defensively out of the three wingers. Though I agree he seems to track back more than the others.

It's an odd one.

I bet statistically he took a bit of a battering when he was back from injury and off the pace? Looked a bit of a stranger for a short while, showing only glimpses. Clumsy touches, thinking he'd got more time, trying to be a bit too clever.

Now he plays a pretty simple, explosive game. Hopefully he keeps injury free

I think we don't use him as well as we can in a lot of situations. He's done really well considering his injuries but could have scored more if we had varied our attacks on occasion. Wembley was a case in point, sometimes when teams push up and pressure Martin you can see Russell playing on the shoulder of the last man and either a through ball or even a much simpler ball over the top would have him running into space but he constantly has to check his run as our full backs play it inside or backwards. I feel with a little variety to our attacks like that he would score more and we would keep other teams guessing and relieve a bit of pressure on Martin as well.

Agree Russell with a summers rest an then full pre season, touch wood with no freak injuries like that head one vs Wigan he will be class.

Suits the system so well but also adds a different dynamic going forward if our style of play isn't working by running in behind when Martin prefers to drop.

It's an odd one.

He doesn't make a lot of tackles which will harm his stats, but he does track back and put pressure on.

I think we don't use him as well as we can in a lot of situations. He's done really well considering his injuries but could have scored more if we had varied our attacks on occasion. Wembley was a case in point, sometimes when teams push up and pressure Martin you can see Russell playing on the shoulder of the last man and either a through ball or even a much simpler ball over the top would have him running into space but he constantly has to check his run as our full backs play it inside or backwards. I feel with a little variety to our attacks like that he would score more and we would keep other teams guessing and relieve a bit of pressure on Martin as well.

Not sure why everyone goes on about Russell's speed - he's quick with the ball (one of our best dribblers) but really not that quick in a foot race.

I think you picked the wrong quote there, but I think he really has a turn of pace that we just don't have elsewhere in the squad.

Goal vs. Huddersfield case in point. Hopefully, if we can keep Thorne, we will see a few more of those delicious through balls that can part defenses like the red sea. Would have been a nailed on goal vs. QPR too..  :cry:

It was in reference to the balls in behind, I seem to recall us trying them quite a bit on the very first day of the season among other times and Russell seemed to be just not quick enough. Quality of ball, timing of run and fitness are obviously all factors but I swear he's not as fast as some think.

It's an odd one.

Surely his stats are better than Dawkins... he just stands idly on the half way line most of the time.   

It was in reference to the balls in behind, I seem to recall us trying them quite a bit on the very first day of the season among other times and Russell seemed to be just not quick enough. Quality of ball, timing of run and fitness are obviously all factors but I swear he's not as fast as some think.

He's pretty rapid. It's most noticeable when he's shutting people down; he covers the ground so quickly.

He's certainly the fastest player at the club.

Archived