Player Suggestion Thread - Summer 2014

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I 100% agree with the people on here that say Eustace was brilliant for us in the first half of the season. He did.

Eustace is in there to do a job and he did it very effectively.

I remember coming out of games last season saying "When we signed Eustace, fans were really underwhelmed with the signing, but he is such an integral part to the way we play"

Thorne came in and took us to another level. A lot more mobile than Eustace and a much better range of passing. One of the best passers of the ball ive seen at the club.

I think Eustace will do a job for us next season. But for 46 games? Im not so sure.

I would much rather have Eustace as cover for that position. Knowing, that if needed, he is more than capable of coming in and doing a job for a few games.

Nail on the head.

Chalobah would definitely possible if we front up the wages, but I don't understand why we would.

He is a defensive midfielder but he's just as slight as Hughes and makes less of a defensive contribution than him too. He's basically a poorer version of Hughes, in my opinion. 

Ake doesn't have the tactical nous to play the role either. Poyet may be a good option, he can tackle at least, but will offer nothing in terms of an attacking threat. 

I feel if we're going to bring someone in then they've got to be better than Hughes in that role and I haven't seen many. Will Hughes is England's under 21 defensive midfielder, along with Chalobah, so it's an incredibly difficult task unless more experienced players become available. 

I think Hanson needs to play against Rangers.

See how he handles it.

He might be the answer but we'll never know unless we throw him in.

I still think a 6 month loan is the answer.

Im sure Stevie Mac, Rush and Evans have been talking about what the next step is.

I think Hanson needs to play against Rangers.

See how he handles it.

He might be the answer but we'll never know unless we throw him in.

I still think a 6 month loan is the answer.

Im sure Stevie Mac, Rush and Evans have been talking about what the next step is.

The role is pivitol to our system. Hanson is going to have to do a "Hughes" or better to suddly fill those particular boots. We need to hit the ground running if we are going for automatic promotion.

The role is pivitol to our system. Hanson is going to have to do a "Hughes" or better to suddly fill those particular boots. We need to hit the ground running if we are going for automatic promotion.

Agree...

And think if Hanson was a Hughes standard of youngster we would know about it by now... We've known about Bennett for 2 yrs now and he's not up to the Hughes standard...

I say we give young hason a chance to set up will huges had too. And you never know he might another freash breath air like will was when first arrived in the first team.

We don't know whether Hanson is good enough yet. It would be an awful lot of pressure to put on him if he is not ready and could wreck his confidence. With Hughes we tested him at the end of a season where a mid-table finish was guaranteed so there was no real pressure on him to perform other than to impress the manager. If we throw Hanson in at the deep end in such a pivotal role to our play it's a massive amount of pressure on him.

If Steve thinks he is ready for the first team then I suspect we'll see him in a pre-season game, if not then I don't think he's good enough just yet.

Will Hughes had much more creative freedom when he came in, because he is an attacking player. He knows that not everything he does has to come off, as long as he looks a threat. Asking Jamie Hanson to come in on his debut start and hold a midfield on his own is a much much bigger ask. It's not fair to him. I think we'll see more of him in the latter stages of a few games this season because he can play both CB and CDM, so putting him on when we're winning allows us to sit back and see it out and Keogh and Buxton can look after him when he tucks into the back line from CDM (which he will do when we're on the defensive).

It also means he isn't relied upon so much. If we started him, we're asking him to protect the backline while we play an attacking game. One slip up from him could change the game if we don't have enough players covering. Bringing him on as a sub in a winning position means 1) The rest of the team is defending with him, so we have plenty of covering players. 2) He's fresher and has an advantage coming up against tired opposition. 3) He doesn't have to contribute to the attacking plays as much (which is his weakness since he is very defensive minded)

Agree...

And think if Hanson was a Hughes standard of youngster we would know about it by now... We've known about Bennett for 2 yrs now and he's not up to the Hughes standard...

To be fair though, the Hughes standard is a very high one.

You never know how Hanson will perform amongst more rxperienced players until we try him, he may flourish into George Thorne standard who knows.

Archived