Time has come for Hughes

zaragozaram

And then you go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like...

His performances have been nowhere near hence the reason he has now been dropped. Not good enough for a second tier side.

....but I suspect you were fishing anyway.

I don't really get this either:

the emergence of Hendrick as the goal scoring, dynamic midfielder that we all knew he could be

There have been plenty of times in the past where Hendrick has been in exactly this sort of form, and due to one reason or another it's dipped, or he's started a season slowly. He got 7 goals last season, some great strikes. The surging runs have shown themselves before.

He's in good form now, he's a gifted player who I've always rated and had the patience with for him to come through any periods of bad form.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting point that people would not want to sell him and have him sat on a Premier League bench...

Why would he be sat on the bench?

I want to keep him. Promoted or not. I think with the arrival of Thorne (hopfeully we sign him), Hughes can begin to be molded for his natural position of central attacking midfielder. I see the coaching staff working closely with him on improving his fitness and tempo in pre-season. I want options. 

That being said, look how well Southampton have done out of cashing in on their young players. If we reinvest the money wisely, we could be better off. But it's risky.

Southampton's success has nothing to do with cashing in on young players. Within 3 years of selling Walcott and Bale they were relegated to League One. Also, the only signing they made in the period between selling 'The Ox' and their promotion to the Prem was Billy Sharp, a player who's subsequently flopped.

If anything this shows that cashing in in young'uns barely works.

Can't believe some of the stuff I read lately.

Such short memories.

Too much strange bias to particular players.

After years of being ordinary, when we are suddenly good the expectation levels are ridiculous and everybody not responsible for where we are is suddenly better than those who have got us here.

Bring back mid table and Bryson, Hendrick chasing shadows and conceding late goals. Everyone seemed to be more realistic.

I'm boring myself with my moaning about moaning but it annoys me the people are looking for problems. Enjoy it!!

Hughes is fine. Wisdom is fine.

Bring back awesome Brayford (who's in L1) and Pearson and Bavies and Theo etc.

Overnight Hendrick has become Hughes replacement. 6 months ago Hughes was a great instinctive youngster.

Wisdom getting some stick.

Short memories.

People need to stop getting over excited off the back of 1 or 2 games. Hendrick has it in him to be a very good player and he showed that against chelsea as did Hughes.

We should keep both. Having 11 good players and nothing on the bench was one of the major problems under Clough, which resulted in our season tailing off in January most seasons.

Hendrick and Hughes play the same position quite differently which is a great thing for a manager to have.

Such short memories.

After years of being ordinary, when we are suddenly good the expectation levels are ridiculous and everybody not responsible for where we are is suddenly better than those who are better than those who haven't got us here.

Bring back mid table and Bryson, Hendrick chasing shadows and conceding late goals. Everyone seemed to be more realistic.

I'm boring myself with my moaning about moaning but it annoys me the people are looking for problems. Enjoy it!!

Overnight Hendrick has become Hughes replacement. 6 months ago Hughes was a great instinctive youngster.

Short memories.

No, just stimulating debate. Which after all is what a forum is for.

Such short memories.

After years of being ordinary, when we are suddenly good the expectation levels are ridiculous and everybody not responsible for where we are is suddenly better than those who have got us here.

Short memories.

Hughes is your hero right!

Such short memories.

Short memories.

Quite agree.... We are not one step forward, two steps back anymore.... We are finally on the front foot in most games not one in every three or four.

Hughes is your hero right!

Nope. I have no heroes. I support a club. Not a player.

He's just good. Obviously why he's being overhyped and now expected to meet the ridiculous demands.

He's a teenager.

But don't let that stop fans and media expecting Pirlo and moaning that he's not there yet.

British people love flying wingers and fast attacking football where the ball is moved forward recklessly. Which is why all the UK national sides are *****.

Build em up, tear em down.

Don't see any moaning from the OP at all to be fair, I think we all realise that Hughes won't spend his entire career at Derby. Hughes isn't in the team at the moment and we're coping well without him...surely there's therefore some method in zaragoza's outrageous madness by opening a debate as to whether now might be a decent time to cash in.

I didn't see any criticism of him as a player, or any implication that he's got worse.

He was just asking a question, no need to shoot the guy down.

Don't see any moaning from the OP at all to be fair, I think we all realise that Hughes won't spend his entire career at Derby. Hughes isn't in the team at the moment and we're coping well without him...surely there's therefore some method in zaragoza's outrageous madness by opening a debate as to whether now might be a decent time to cash in.

I didn't see any criticism of him as a player, or any implication that he's got worse.

He was just asking a question, no need to shoot the guy down.

Yeah I'm not having a pop at Zaragoza. Just all the constant slating that pops up at the ground and stuff.

At least when we were average some of the moaning was justified. If Hughes is average then what are Barton and Krankjar or whoever? Or maybe it's £5m Austin that's letting that team down?

Like I said, over 20 fluke wins and tons of goals. All done with a ***** rb, a pub cb and an pedestrian midfield of Hughes and Eustace. Oh and a lazy diver upfront. We were saying how Sammon deserves his chance the other week.

I wish half the ipro could go back in time to 2012 and I'll stay here with the other half and watch this squad.

They'd even get to watch Hendrick and Bryson still. And Brayford!!! Woohoo! And in January some lovely hoofball. No messing around with it along the back 4. Silly passing. Nope. And Buxton was still *****...

I'd sell Hughes if it meant getting Sergio Busquets back for good...

I mean Thorne

Give it time and he'll be average too.

(Not a pop at Zaragoza)

We just expect more and more from players who are in this division for a reason. They're either learning/developing or they're not good enough for the PL so far in their careers.

If Hughes bossed every game he'd be sold already. It's papers that are heaping the expectation on him.

Oh come on. We all know that with Brayford in this side we would be champions right now. Wisdom is boring, how dare he be sensible.

As for Hughes. I would say him and Hendrick are of differing styles. Each would be more useful in certain games. Dare I say players in the Hendrick mould are far more common in this country/league than Hughes.

I think I am still a little drunk.

Archived