Time has come for Hughes

zaragozaram

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duracell brought up a good example earlier in Southampton for both cases of selling and keeping Hughes. When Southampton needed the money to stave off administration and to boost a promotion run from League One (I believe?), they sold Walcott, Bale and Oxlade-Chamberlain. However they kept the likes of Lallana and Schneiderlin through the rise from League One. Now they are established in the Premiership, they are looking at keeping the likes of Shaw and Ward-Prowse unless they receive offer well in excess of £20m.

That's exactly how to run the club, cash in when you need the money, whether that's to get away from financial issues or 'push on to the next level', then to keep and grow the asset when you don't need the money and already at the 'next level'. I believe that Derby are soon to be at that 'next level' so I'd keep hold of the assets as they'll only grow substantially in value when in the Premiership.

Hughes lost his place because he was injured, Hendrick took the chance and forced his way back in. I know let's just dispose of Hughes like a piece of rubbish.

He is still an integral part of the team. There's wasn't a thread I can remember saying we should get rid of Hendrick when he was sat on the bench!!!!

Not sure why we'd sell if we went up, and I'm not sure why he'd leave.

That's his aim - play in the Prem. We'd offer him that, week in week out. He's a cert for the U21 squad for the Euros so I don't think he'd need to play for a top team to make certain of his spot.

If we got an obscene amount of money (£15m, perhaps) it might be worth considering it but unless he's desperate to leave I don't see the sense in selling him.

There are probably 3 midfielders in each of the top teams that Hughes would have to wait to be sold/get injured before he could nail down a regular spot.

Wouldn't surprise me if United sniffed around this summer.

I was boring BondJovi, in the last couple of weeks I've had a car crash, lost work keys, had toothache and a cold.

If I can give a bit of my misery to you lot then you're having it.

My fellow beach babe right? Or is that a secret?

Archived