End of the season - Scottish & Derby questions.

Scottishguy

Bryson.

Forsyth

Russell

Coutts ? 

How have they all done. I put a "?" besides Coutts because i don't know if he's still with yous or what lol. 

This is a your view from the seasons they've had. 

Do you expect any to play for Scotland soon?

Does Russell look like he'll ever make it at a higher level?

Derby questions now. 

How do yous rate yourselfs in the play offs ? (I think you'll win them but I'm curious to know how Derby fans see themselves amongst the other 3 teams)

Who seems to be a better prospect Thorne or Hughes ? 

Good luck, i'll be rooting for you! 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryson has been brilliant

Forsyth very consistent

Russel been very unlucky with injuries but he's a top player

Coutts been out most of the season

If scotland have a midfielder who can get in the box as much as Bryson I've yet to see him

We will win the play offs

I'd rather buy Thorne than keep Will Hughes

Bryson - Amazing, my POTS, how he doesn't get in the Scotland squad baffles most people.
Forsyth - Started *****, but after Leicester away he's been decent, probably most improved under McClaren
Russell - Had injuries which have cost him, but recently having a run of games and showing us why we paid 750k for him (still want a bit more from him mind), hoping he'll kick on next season and become a key player.
Coutts - Been injured for pretty much the season, before that he was mostly on the bench anyway. Imagine he'll leave.

Thanks for your support and good wishes :)

Firstly, with regards to the Scottish Derby players, Coutts has been out injured nearly all season I think. He wouldn't really fit into our new system under McClaren anyway - he could move on in the summer. The other three have had good seasons; Bryson has been outstanding and may make a move to a Prem side if we're not promoted. Forsyth has improved massively and now looks assured at left back. And Russell has scored a few goals (maybe eight now) including a cracker against Forest and a great finish against Huddersfield. He's not quite set the world on fire as we hoped he would, but he's still had a strong first season at the club. I do believe he could perform at a higher level, and will probably stay in the side next season after promotion to the promised land.

Bryson should definitely be getting in the Scotland side, and Forsyth should make the squad. I'm not quite sure who you guys play on the wing but my guess would be that Russell should be just outside the squad, with Coutts a long way off.

Second, I believe we stand a really good chance in the play-offs. We can definitely beat any of the other sides over two legs and the large pitch at Wembley is perfect for our style of play. And as for Thorne or Hughes, both have great potential. Thorne has been the better player recently but I still think that Hughes is the more exciting prospect (maybe that's partially down to the fact he's our own player though).

Forsyth has been a revelation! Quality attacking fullback! Bryson is Bryson he covers every blade every match! Russell is busy and scores, just needs that quality last pass and he'd be awesome! All in all those scotch boys have been cracking! See yous Jimmy!!!

You've got to give Bryson some time to play for Scotland. He's quite composed and with encouragement he's quite a good attacking midfielder. He's obviously praised a lot for his work rate but I think that's a bit unfair as it makes him sound like he's just a runner. He's shown much more to his game this year. He's technically sound enough and he looks after the ball. A good manager should be able to keep him as an attacking midfielder who's best attribute is his patience in the final third. Better than the box to box engine we signed.

Russell has had a disrupted season. His settling in period has been long. Could make better decisions and show more ruthlessness/arrogance. Perhaps borrow some off Bamford.

Forsyth has become fantastic. He's a constant outlet. He's always eager to get forward, he defends on his feet. He's a real confidence player. He can lack composure and look poor. If he's feeling good, it shows.

--------

Think we'll win the Play Offs. Most scared of Wigan. Because we're the best attacking team in the Play Offs imo, I think we will make the final. I trust us to score whatever goals we need to score over 2 legs. I think we're the most likely team to be able to lose the first leg and do what needs to be done in the second leg. We respond to defeat well.

I just think we can do what needs to be done over 2 legs.

The final... who knows? How can you predict a cup final? Not much separates Derby/Burnley/Reading from Blackburn/Huddersfield/Bournemouth. Bit of luck with injuries and good management. That's what it's about. We don't have the luxurious advantages that separate the top PL sides from the mid-bottom PL sides. What advantages we have could be lost easily. Lose a couple of key players or the manager starts making big changes.... boom! We're a mid table side.

So with the league so tight a single one off game between any of the top 6 is extremely close.

Over a couple of games we get chance to show our attacking privileges. On one game... Can we get it right?

Bryson brilliant, good coaching has chanelled his stamina into something other than just running about - his forward runs are excellent. Wouldn't start him for Scotland, though. He looks great in a forward, pressing team creating lots of chances, but Scotland aren't going to be able to play that style of football against most international sides even if they could. He can also go quiet in games when the rest of the side isn't playing well. Premier League quality player, but I get why he doesn't get picked for Scotland.

Forsyth started terribly but must now be one of the best LBs in the division. Decent in defence but mighty going forward. He must surely be there or thereabouts for Scotland.

Russell has a lot of ability and seems to be playing in a sort of inside forward position, in old money. We don't have wingers (apart from the full backs) and he seems to love making runs into the centre, or cutting in with the ball. He has a decent pass on him, a wicked left peg and bags of pace. He can make another step up I reckon.

I keep forgetting Coutts is a Derby player, so much has changed since then - Clough was our manager and I was still with the ex when he got injured! Who knows where he fits in...

As for our season, it's been a resounding success and as a young fan it's the best season I've seen, whatever the outcome. I back us in the play-offs as well.

In terms of playing for Scotland, all 3 need to be either playing consistently well in Premier League or with Celtic or even Sevco ( The team formerly known as Rangers FC).

Forsyth's challenge is that he is competing with Charlie Mugrew, the young and hugely rated new talent of Andy Robertson or even Lee Wallace. Mugrew is playing at Champions League level each year with Celtic.

Duracell's synopsis on a Bryson is spot on. Cracking player that suits Derby's style but not Scotland's. Again he is probably competing with Scott Brown or Darren Fletcher, both again playing at Champions League level. Other midfield players such as Charlue Adam, James Morrison, even Barry Bannan (remember him?!) are all playing at Premier League level.

Russell is an interesting one. Scotland don't always play wingers; if they do it would probably be James Forest at Celtic. As stated above, Russell isn't really a winger however, and attacking wise he doesn't yet score enough goals. Recently Scotland have gone with Ross McCormack and Stephen Fletcher, both out and out strikers. Interestingly, McCormack is obviously playing in the Championship though Scotland are not endowed with goal scorers and he has been scoring a fair few in a poor team. Due to injuries and in/ out of the team I don't personally think that Russell has yet stepped up consistently to a higher level since leaving Dundee United. I think the potential is definitely there though.

Go to the foot of the http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/3859 page (official Football Lerague stats for the season) and at the very bottom, change the "Championship Best XI" so that it's over the full season. You'll see both Forsyth and Bryson are statistically the best in their positions in the league.

Bryson should actually be on 18 league goals rather than the 16 he's credited with, as two of ours have gone in off him but bizarrely they've not been credited to him - but even 16 is an amazing return. Forsyth has become exactly what a modern fullback should be, improving dramatically over the course of the season. Yet he isn't spectacular. I think he should be in the squad and can't fathom why he's not - but he probably wouldn't be a starter.

I really rate Russell. He's a finisher and has scored some of our very best goals (and we've scored some beauties). But he broke his leg (again) and then his cheekbone, and we play him wide rather than in a front two, and he's never really had a proper run in the team. I'd say there's more to come from him, but I'm very pleased he's part of the squad.

Posters above are being unfair to Coutts IMO. He's always been pretty much a regular (albeit one who goes under the radar) until this year, but he's been injured the entire season. I wonder how he'd have contributed if fit, and have no idea what his injury is. All oddly quiet.

I'd expect us to win the playoffs - we're demonstrably the third best team in the division - extrapolate McClaren's record to the whole season and we're top 2, with Derby, Leicester and Burnley far superior to the rest. Even giving everyone else a 10 game headstart, we've not done badly and are well clear in third. Of course anything can happen in a one-off game, but it's ours to lose.

Bryson and Forsyth - absolutely outstanding in the last few months (Bryson all season - close to if not the best midfielder in the Championship). If you have better players than either available for their positions in the Scottish side, then good luck to you.

Russell and Coutts seasons have been ravaged by injury, although Russell has recently come back into the fold looking sharp - and looked natural finisher (not from the penalty spot, naturally) on some occasions.

Bryson - Huge chance of winning player of the season, and should be in with a chance of being in the Championship Team of the Season. I'd be willing to bet that he covers the most ground too, he's everywhere, and his energy levels are unbelievable. Hugely important to the way we play, and has contributed a lot of goals this season, excellent hat trick against Millwall and another against Forest. Unsure as to why he isn't getting to even the fringes of the Scotland national team, as I don't really pay any attention to country football other than the major tournaments.  

Russell - Was really excited when we signed him in the summer, but hasn't really had the impact we were expecting - mostly down to unfortunate injuries, broken leg against Leeds, came back and had his face remodelled by Wigan. Has really kicked on in the last few games though - 4 goals in his last 8 games, including a peach of a strike against Forest, and a sublime, delicate finish against Huddersfield. He works hard defensively too, prefer him to Bamford as he offers a fair amount of protection to the full back, can tackle well. (slight man-crush on him as well  :wub: ) Currently playing out of position, as he was signed as a centre-forward, so I doubt he'd get to the Scottish side. A good season for us in the Prem though.. and who knows ;)

Forsyth - Massively improved. Came in to the club as a left midfielder, but has really made that left back position his own! Another one who has really kicked on since the return of the Mac, very good at attacking, but I still get a little concerned when players with pace run directly at him. That said, usually comes out on top in the air as a result of his height.

Coutts - had a decent season last year under Clough, especially that understanding with Brayford, but never been sure of his best position. Dislocated his knee in the League Cup game at Leicester and was instantly ruled out for the season, will come back to full fitness in the summer - but I doubt he will stay, especially if we are promoted. Hard to say if he would have any impact - he wouldn't knock any of Hughes/Bryson/Hendrick out of the starting midfield, and the style of 3 up front wouldn't really suit IMO. Long way off the national team.

Derby in the play offs, I think we've got the best chance. We've hit a great patch of form, which can only do us good, confidence levels are high, and I fancy us against any team in the possible 8 or so that can join us. Wigan seem to be the one everyone is concerned about (myself included), Uwe Rosler has turned them around. That said, they've played in excess of 50 games this season, will that take its toll? Who knows. They aren't in the best of form (2W, 2D, 2L), and neither are QPR (2W, 1D, 3L). 6th spot is up for grabs, Brighton haven't lost in 6, Forest have scraped themselves back together and have won back to back games, and Ipswich, Reading and Bournemouth are still in with a chance. Out of those, I'd prefer not to face Ipswich.

As for Thorne vs. Hughes? If we could sign Thorne at the cost of losing Hughes, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Keep both and I'd be ecstatic. Lose both would be very damaging.

Bryson.

Forsyth

Russell

Coutts ? 

How have they all done. I put a "?" besides Coutts because i don't know if he's still with yous or what lol. 

This is a your view from the seasons they've had. 

Do you expect any to play for Scotland soon?

Does Russell look like he'll ever make it at a higher level?

Derby questions now. 

How do yous rate yourselfs in the play offs ? (I think you'll win them but I'm curious to know how Derby fans see themselves amongst the other 3 teams)

Who seems to be a better prospect Thorne or Hughes ? 

Good luck, i'll be rooting for you! 

Johnny Russell suffered minor injuries early on, although now he is a regular member of the first XI and I expect him to start in the play-offs.

Craig Forsyth has had a stunning second-half of the season, one of the best in the division.

Craig Bryson one of our top three players. 

Paul Coutts started very well, got injured - unfortunate really. 

Russell's injuries are/were impact injuries - broken leg, fractured cheekbone. These tend to be one-off occurrences (unless you are Steve Davies, of course, the kind of player who could disembowel himself removing his belly button fluff).

Bryson - has been excellent ever since we signed him

Forsyth - good but his final ball is surprisingly average for someone who started in midfield

We no longer ask him to mark the opposition centre half at corners after forest.

Buxton does that now.

Russell - has been bashed about and bounces back.

Not yet secured a definite place in the team because of dawkins on the left and ward on the right.

Coutts - good player but will struggle to get in the team when fit again ahead of hughes, hendrick, ward and russell.

Derby fans don't like him for some unknown reason.

They always have to have someone to hate.

Its Coutts and Sammon usually.

We're a bit shiit like that.

Bryson and Forsyth could play for Scotland now and Russell potentially in the future if he stays injury free. Coutts will need to come back to full fitness and play a run of games.

In our 4123 formation I'm not sure where Coutts would play?

Archived