Derby County v Watford

CumbrianRam

I really don't think I remember a Derby team attacking quite like this in all the time I have been watching them. Some of that was breathtaking today, and I really felt sorry for Ward who deserved at least one goal today.

At the back we looked a bit sloppy, though - the Forsyth gift for their second was an aberration (which is easily forgiven) but yet again there was too much of a tendency to pass dangerous square balls around our own back four, particularly by Wisdom who now does look like a decent centre half who has been stuck out at full back because no one else wants to do it.

Some of the moaners sitting around me really broke new ground today, with a personal favourite being the declaration, after 15 minutes, that "the goals have dried up, just at the wrong time".

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the most enjoyable games I've seen. Derby's attacking play at times was awsome, involving so many different options.

I thought Thorne was immense again. His weight of pass, making himself continually available to receive, his positioning and closing down awareness and play is fantastic.

Very good performance.

Amazing number of chances created but missed.

Good value for the win despite a couple of lapses.

Having said that i virtually missed their first as i counting 10 seats along the back row of the north stand.

Cooooeeeeeee

I really don't think I remember a Derby team attacking quite like this in all the time I have been watching them. Some of that was breathtaking today, and I really felt sorry for Ward who deserved at least one goal today.

At the back we looked a bit sloppy, though - the Forsyth gift for their second was an aberration (which is easily forgiven) but yet again there was too much of a tendency to pass dangerous square balls around our own back four, particularly by Wisdom who now does look like a decent centre half who has been stuck out at full back because no one else wants to do it.

Some of the moaners sitting around me really broke new ground today, with a personal favourite being the declaration, after 15 minutes, that "the goals have dried up, just at the wrong time".

you can be wise after the event but we scored two late goals against 10 men thanks to a Hendrick rocket.

Not criticising but we need to be more clinical in the playoffs in front of goal and kill teams off. Concentration with defending is vital.

The moaner in front of me (east stand lower in line with 18yd box) surpassed himself today, loudly berating back four for passing it around till bucko found dawkins, dawkins found brys, he found martin, and then Martin found the bottom corner.

His response - Thats derby that is, thats what we do!!

The moaner in front of me (east stand lower in line with 18yd box) surpassed himself today, loudly berating back four for passing it around till bucko found dawkins, dawkins found brys, he found martin, and then Martin found the bottom corner.

Next time we score, pour your coffee/tea/hotchocolate over him

Totally forgot to predict the score but tbh I was gonna say 1-1!! Was a very entertaining game! Pretty confident about the play offs but it's a lottery so we will just have to wait and see! What ever happens it's been a awesome season

What throws me is one minute we're zipping a decent team all over the park, looking like we could score in every attack we produce, yet at other times we're bossed over large period of time against 10 men...

We are extremely inconsistent in spells, and I know we're not going to keep that brilliant phase we had in the first half up for the 90, but against a better side we may have been further punished.

Anyway, excellent performance overall, and today proved how vital Chris Martin is for us. Absolute unreal first half. Hendrick proved why he's a starter over Hughes for me in the play offs, in some great form and not afraid to shoot (like a large % of our team at times!)

What throws me is one minute we're zipping a decent team all over the park, looking like we could score in every attack we produce, yet at other times we're bossed over large period of time against 10 men...

We are extremely inconsistent in spells, and I know we're not going to keep that brilliant phase we had in the first half up for the 90, but against a better side we may have been further punished.

Anyway, excellent performance overall, and today proved how vital Chris Martin is for us. Absolute unreal first half. Hendrick proved why he's a starter over Hughes for me in the play offs, in some great form and not afraid to shoot (like a large % of our team at times!)

Bossed over a large period of time? Didn't look that way to me.

We were up against a team that had to win to stay in the hunt for the play offs.

We battered them first half, and they had a 10 minute period after HT where they pushed 3 up when we had the ball in defence and moved the midfield 5 yards higher up the pitch.

Didnt last for long though and the 2nd goal was a perfect example of drawing a team in before hitting them with quick incisive football.

Yes they came back into it a bit after the sending off, but once again they were pushing as only a win was good enough for them, but it didn't last long.

Yes we are lacking in concentration sometimes at the back, but I often think thats down to the way we play, the full backs probably have more touches than most midfield players. And believe it not, we arent going to dominate a match for 90 mins, and the fulls backs are not going to have a 100% pass completion rate

I hear that bloke, sit below and to the left of him.

I was so tempted to give him what for today, but resisted because I was in a good mood. Had a whole speech ready anorl'

Oh, oh, oh, someone else behind me today also decalred that "We're still lacking a natural goalscorer"

In a way, that's utterly ridiculous, because we're the TOP SCORERS IN THE LEAGUE

But in a way... Watford could not have complained if we'd scored 9 today, we get into so many good positions and we do waste a lot of them! We've won plenty of games with 4, 5 goals to our name, we've also missed so many penalties... so in a way it's correct!

We're the top scorers by one goal but we 'should' actually have 100+, which would be utterly ridiculous!

Oh, oh, oh, someone else behind me today also decalred that "We're still lacking a natural goalscorer"

In a way, that's utterly ridiculous, because we're the TOP SCORERS IN THE LEAGUE

But in a way... Watford could not have complained if we'd scored 9 today, we get into so many good positions and we do waste a lot of them! We've won plenty of games with 4, 5 goals to our name, we've also missed so many penalties... so in a way it's correct!

We're the top scorers by one goal but we 'should' actually have 100+, which would be utterly ridiculous!

We have a natural goalscorer - it's called Derby County Football Club

Atmosphere any good today? And did anyone ignore the club's wishes and try to get on the pitch? Any new songs been sung?

Any brand new song(s) to help us win the play offs? Plus I'm sure the atmosphere at Leeds will be good, plus everything that follows after that. Up the rams.

Not sure who votes for man of the match as it always seems to be a bizarre choice.

Not sure how Ward got it today. Missed a basic 1 on 1, messed around with it and hit the post when he should have squared it and misplaced a phenomenal amount of passes. And that was just first half.

There was a passage of play first half near the east stand touch line where he got the ball 3 or 4 times in quick succession and managed to misplace the pass every time. It was something special to see.

Archived