Can we officially make the play-offs on Saturday?

Stive Pesley

As I make it we are 11 points clear of 7th with 15 points left to play for.

If we win we'll be on the mythical 75 points with 12 points left to play for. So not mathematically safe, but then if teams below us have to play each other then it means not all teams can attain the 12 points they'd need to overturn our position.

BBC used to do a cool fixture predictor that let you work this stuff out. Is it still around (I can't find it)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, even if we win we're not mathematically safe. 

Ipswich play Bournemouth on 21st April, 2 play off rivals.

5 points needed to definitely qualify for the play-offs.

You sure? We're 11 clear with 15 points left to play for. If we win and Brighton, Ipswich and Bournemouth all lose then I make that 14 points clear with 12 points left to play for..

You sure? We're 11 clear with 15 points left to play for. If we win and Brighton, Ipswich and Bournemouth all lose then I make that 14 points clear with 12 points left to play for..

As long as Brighton, Bournemouth and Ipswich lose then, yes, we have guaranteed a play-off spot. However, if they win, we need another win to secure it. 

PistoldPete2

As long as Brighton, Bournemouth and Ipswich lose then, yes, we have guaranteed a play-off spot. However, if they win, we need another win to secure it. 

Well I CBA to work it out, but if we win we will be at least 11 points ahead with 4 to play.

Then if none of the teams in 7th 8th or 9th below us win we will be at least 13 points clear of 7th with 4 to play so in the play offs.

Dont think the Ipswich v Bournemouth game affects things at the moment but it will help if we are dropping points that one of them has to .

Well I CBA to work it out, but if we win we will be at least 11 points ahead with 4 to play.

Then if none of the teams in 7th 8th or 9th below us win we will be at least 13 points clear of 7th with 4 to play so in the play offs.

Dont think the Ipswich v Bournemouth game affects things at the moment but it will help if we are dropping points that one of them has to .

If we win on Saturday, we've realistically sealed it. However, it is not Mathematically impossible for us to miss out on a play-off spot even if we get 3 points this weekend.

I love this forum. You guys are even worse than we are: when City was 17 points ahead with six games to play, we had endless threads about when we would be mathematically certain of promotion. You are there: enjoy yourselves - you've got seven or eight games to go.

I think the fight for fourth place is quite interesting. You, QPR and Wigan are more or less nailed-on, in my view, but if Brighton, Ipswich and Bourneouth all win today, and we beat Reading on Monday (a difficult one, admittedly) then Reading will be down to ninth. And, sparing a thought for your nearest and dearest, if Florist lose at QPR today, and Watford and Blackburn both win, they will be down to 12th. There's always something to look forward to in the league.

Best of luck against Huddersfield today.

11 points is too much for us to make up on Burnley. So we can't be caught by 7th place it's that simple

eight points from 12? Unlikely, though a very good result for you guys today. If we beat Reading on Monday (OK, big ask) it will get very interesting down in sixth place.

Archived